Audio Source AMP 210 Power Amp Can you use either a Equalizer or Audio Mixer as the Pre Amp? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-29-2012, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All
Just as the title says, My cousin has a set of Polk LSi 15 Speakers & a Audio Source Amp 210 Power Amp. He thinks he can just hook the speakers to the power amp & run it as is. I told him while that may be possible, it isn't the best way. I told him he needs a Pre-Amp to connect to his power amp. I'm not sure, but I'm thinking that he can use either a Graphic Equalizer or a Audio Mixer as a Pre-Amp. Am i correct in my thinking? All help provided is greatly appreciated. My thanks in advance to all who answer :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-29-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi Jtm,

He can run them as is, if he doesn't mind listening to silence. As you said, he can also hook-up a pre-amp or a graphic equalizer, but he would still be listening to silence. In either case, he would still need some kind of music source to listen to. That might determine what else he needs.

My most minimalist system uses just an iPod hooked to a Sansui power-amp to Polk speakers. My other minimalist system uses just an Audiotron for a source, hooked up to a Phase Linear power-amp and Quarte speakers. Since all of my music is on a network, this is all I need. I've considered putting a graphic equalizer in the loop, but I don't need a pre-amp.

If I had multiple sources, needed record capability, or wanted bass/treble control, I could use one of my graphic equalizers as a pre-amp. Besides the ability to have more sources, a pre-amp doesn't offer anything I would use.

I have one system with a pre-amp, and that is because it needs to support two turntables, a tuner, a reel-to-reel, an audiotron, and a computer.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-29-2012, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Mark

He's connecting it to his computer to play music & movies on the hard drive. Thanks for the reply
post #4 of 5 Old 09-29-2012, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi Jtm,

Then I would suggest not using a pre-amp or a graphic equalizer, as all of their functions can be had in the player software. A pre-amp would only complicate things. Since the amp doesn't have a true volume control, he may want to get something so that he doesn't have to deal with Window's volume control when the phone rings. I use some of THESE, which also provides a mute function.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-30-2012, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Mark
Thank you very much for your help. Ordered the Powermate.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page