Oppo 103 with Peachtree Decco 65 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > 2-Channel Audio > Oppo 103 with Peachtree Decco 65

2-Channel Audio

alano5000's Avatar alano5000
08:12 AM Liked: 10
post #1 of 6
10-10-2012 | Posts: 2
Joined: Oct 2012
Hello guys
Created account just to get some help here. Just found out what a DAC is so for most you it should be an easy two minute exercise smile.gif

I plan to connect Oppo103 with Peachtree Decco 65 (http://www.peachtreeaudio.com/decco65-amplifier-with-dac.html).
Questions are:-
1) Is it possible to connect the two?
2) Would this be a better value proposition than buying Oppo105? The aim is better audio output in the end.
Many Thanks
arnyk's Avatar arnyk
08:27 AM Liked: 1178
post #2 of 6
10-10-2012 | Posts: 14,387
Joined: Oct 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by alano5000 View Post

Hello guys
Created account just to get some help here. Just found out what a DAC is so for most you it should be an easy two minute exercise smile.gif
I plan to connect Oppo103 with Peachtree Decco 65 (http://www.peachtreeaudio.com/decco65-amplifier-with-dac.html).
Questions are:-
1) Is it possible to connect the two?

Yes.





Hook a short RCA cable from the red coaxial output on the 103 to the red coaxial input on the Decco 65.

You may have to change a setup menu setting on the 103 to ensure that the Decco 65 produces sound with all of the kinds of media that the 103 handles.

Quote:
2) Would this be a better value proposition than buying Oppo105? The aim is better audio output in the end.

I see no advantage to the 105 from a sound quality viewpoint. The use of the digital input on the Decco 65 bypasses most of the audio circuitry of any player that is connected to it digitally.
someoledude's Avatar someoledude
11:15 AM Liked: 18
post #3 of 6
10-10-2012 | Posts: 107
Joined: Aug 2008
The OPPO and the Peachtree both offer ESS DACs. I am not sure which component offers the latest technology. I would guess the OPPO two channel output may offer the better capability over the Decco DAC. My OPPO 83se stereo output DAC was more advanced than the DAC in the iDecco I once had.
But certainly the two can be connected in either digital or analog. It would be worth listening to both ways to see if you prefer one over the other and I see no down side to either.
All the best!
A9X-308's Avatar A9X-308
03:44 PM Liked: 115
post #4 of 6
10-10-2012 | Posts: 5,462
Joined: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by alano5000 View Post

Hello guys
Created account just to get some help here. Just found out what a DAC is so for most you it should be an easy two minute exercise smile.gif
I plan to connect Oppo103 with Peachtree Decco 65 (http://www.peachtreeaudio.com/decco65-amplifier-with-dac.html).
Questions are:-
1) Is it possible to connect the two?
2) Would this be a better value proposition than buying Oppo105? The aim is better audio output in the end.
Many Thanks
You only need one of the DACs, so assuming you haven't forked out for either component, decide which you need.

If you don't need the OPPOs video capability, use any played and connect it digitally to the Decco as Arny suggests.

If you do want the OPPOs video capability, get that and an integrated amp that doesn't have the unnecessary DAC stage. Or the idiotic tube.
glangford's Avatar glangford
03:46 PM Liked: 55
post #5 of 6
10-10-2012 | Posts: 1,806
Joined: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by someoledude View Post

The OPPO and the Peachtree both offer ESS DACs. I am not sure which component offers the latest technology. I would guess the OPPO two channel output may offer the better capability over the Decco DAC. My OPPO 83se stereo output DAC was more advanced than the DAC in the iDecco I once had.
But certainly the two can be connected in either digital or analog. It would be worth listening to both ways to see if you prefer one over the other and I see no down side to either.
All the best!
\

The oppo 103 does not offer ESS dacs, you have to step up to get that in the 105. No advantage to the 105. Do as Arnyk suggested.

FWIW, the peachtree has ess 9023 192/24 upconverting dacs the oppo-95 has 32 bit 9018 ess dacs. Specs are yet to be released on the 105 soon but it is expected to have the same dac.
alano5000's Avatar alano5000
11:30 PM Liked: 10
post #6 of 6
10-11-2012 | Posts: 2
Joined: Oct 2012
Thank you all for the advice and information. Its a month away but I will try to comeback with results.
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3