HI fi set up help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-10-2012, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
First and foremost, I am partial to Pioneer Products. They are in my price range and they look great. Also, I haven't had any problems with them.

So I want to build a small hi fi system for my living room. I am not trying to break the bank for this but I do want a quality system, First I have a pio bdp 50. This is my primary blu ray player in the house, but i will be upgrading to one of the newer models so I figured I can use this as the primary CD player. I realize that it is slow and does not play the SACD but i don't own any. Lastly, It has analog ouputs so it will be hi fi able.

My question is on the pio website http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Amplifiers has two stereo recievers listed and an interagrated amp the a-20. I have the read the descriptions but I was looking for a little help as to which one i would need. They both seem to have the necessary inputs for a Hi fi system, but there is a big price difference.

The other option would be to get a regular HT AV reciever (with a phono input) with network capabilities. As oppose to having to buy a seperate network audio player attachment. By the time I buy all 2 or 3 pieces depending on the configuration, 1 Home theater receiver that is dedicated only to my hi fi system would do everything I need.

Thoughts.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-10-2012, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 98
60wpc seems a bit weak IMO but it depends on the speakers you'll be pushing - how loud you listen - and how big your listening environment is. The Harman Kardon 3490 has 120wpc and is also very good looking. It has a coax and optical input and can be had for around $350. I've had the slightly smaller 80wpc 3390 for a couple of years and find it to be a very stout performer. I use it in a 2 channel bedroom setup.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 6 Old 10-10-2012, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 275
We can't advise you about what amp/receiver would be the right choice without knowing what speakers you'll be driving. A second question would be, what exactly were you planning to plug into it as far as sources was concerned? I gather a turntable for one. Most AVRs do not have phono inputs, but you can buy an external one if need be for $50 or so. Finally, do you have an overall budget for this system?

Those stereo receivers look ridiculously overpriced.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #4 of 6 Old 10-10-2012, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am planning on purchasing these http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Home+Theater+Speakers/SP-FS52 or atleast any recommendable speaker in the price range. I live in a three level town house, I am not trying to bring down the house when I listen to the system. The room is not a large room either. I hope this helps and thanks for the assistance.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-10-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Those aren't exactly super-sensitive speakers, and obviously you're on a very tight budget. I would definitely go the AVR route, with whatever features/connectivity you need, plus the outboard phono stage, if needed.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #6 of 6 Old 10-10-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

60wpc seems a bit weak IMO but it depends on the speakers you'll be pushing - how loud you listen - and how big your listening environment is. The Harman Kardon 3490 has 120wpc and is also very good looking. It has a coax and optical input and can be had for around $350. I've had the slightly smaller 80wpc 3390 for a couple of years and find it to be a very stout performer. I use it in a 2 channel bedroom setup.

+1

I have the 3390, and it's great. If you want a 2 channel stereo receiver, either of the HKs would be a good choice, depending on which best suits your needs and wallet. However, the price difference between the 3390 and 3490 is much closer than when I bought mine. I would probably go with the 3490 given that.

As others have suggested, AVRs are a good option, too.

Also, what kind of music do you listen to? If EDM, hip hop, or rap, it can be worth budgeting for a sub. A good sub can do a better job of producing the very low frequencies than even tower speakers. For rock, classical and other genres, the FS52s should be fine without one.

Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page