Project Debut Carbon - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #91 of 99 Old 11-02-2014, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post
I have the hum now. this is different from the RF noise I experienced earlier.
I am using the acrylic platter and the leather-it mat. The shipping screws are removed.

I notice that there is an audible hum through the speakers when the volume is moderate to high but only happens between cuts on the album. You do not hear it when the music is playing. It is very annoying.
I have changed where I had plugged in the TT as well as changed all the cabling. The ground is attached perfectly. I can sometimes feel a vibration through the tone arm. When I lift the platter off I can feel a vibration when I touch the motor. I wonder if the vibration is somehow getting to the tone arm even though the motor is "floating" on those bands.
I sent an email with a MP4 recording to Project. let's see what they say.

I have absolutely zero motor noise or hum. Again I have the DC version so this may have been the model that PJ corrected. I've varied the volume turned the switch on an off.... nothing no noise, I only know it is on by looking at the platter spin. When the record is playing and it is in between songs I hear a slight rumble but that is simply the needle on a transition groove. My table is dead quiet.

P.S. I didn't remove any screws at all during set-up. I simply placed platter on, balanced tone arm, set anti skate, placed crappy felt mat, made connections, then played music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 99 Old 11-02-2014, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have no hum either...nothing...with the non-DC model. Nada.

I did do the gajCA fix as described above as a precaution. No hum...and I have listened for it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #93 of 99 Old 02-08-2015, 01:23 PM

So it's been awhile since my last post. I have upgraded the table since November and I must say this table is very scalable and looks good too! I added the acryl-it platter, puck-it, Emotiva XPS-1 Phono Stage, and as of Friday night I am now the proud owner of an Ortofon Quintet Blue MC cartridge. Loving the sound of Ortofon's detail with the smooth airyness of a moving coil cart. I only have a couple hours on the cart and the bass is starting to come in. Can't wait until it is fully broken in.

Question on cartridge loading, Ortofon recommends >20 ohms. I've tried 47, 100, & 470. I liked 470's high end punch but was a little bass shy. I've been told that the loading is all listener discretion. My phono stage has 47, 100, 470, & 1k ohms what would you recommend as the proper loading? I'm currently using 100 ohms.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150208_135325_1423430044070.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	533785  

Last edited by Adaboy; 02-08-2015 at 01:36 PM.
post #94 of 99 Old 02-09-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaboy View Post
So it's been awhile since my last post. I have upgraded the table since November and I must say this table is very scalable and looks good too! I added the acryl-it platter, puck-it, Emotiva XPS-1 Phono Stage, and as of Friday night I am now the proud owner of an Ortofon Quintet Blue MC cartridge. Loving the sound of Ortofon's detail with the smooth airyness of a moving coil cart. I only have a couple hours on the cart and the bass is starting to come in. Can't wait until it is fully broken in.

Question on cartridge loading, Ortofon recommends >20 ohms. I've tried 47, 100, & 470. I liked 470's high end punch but was a little bass shy. I've been told that the loading is all listener discretion. My phono stage has 47, 100, 470, & 1k ohms what would you recommend as the proper loading? I'm currently using 100 ohms.

How do you like the Quintet compared to the stock Ortofon Red MM cart? I assume that is what you replaced, right? I have the stock cart with the Ortofon Blue stylus right now...always interested in impressions of affordable upgrades...

$149 for the Emotiva...$399 for the cart (guessing)...are you happy with it?

Thanks.

post #95 of 99 Old 02-09-2015, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgterm View Post
How do you like the Quintet compared to the stock Ortofon Red MM cart? I assume that is what you replaced, right? I have the stock cart with the Ortofon Blue stylus right now...always interested in impressions of affordable upgrades...

Thanks.

Can't speak for the new Ortofon MC cartridges but ran them for decades on my Revox with Tangential Arm.

To be honest I was thinking that the Ortofon Red would be a huge stepdown when I got my Carbon but was pleasantly surprised that I was not.

MC cartridges are great but so are MM's.
Adaboy likes this.
post #96 of 99 Old 02-09-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:

Thanks.
yes you are correct I did replace the 2M Red. I would have loved to find the Quintet for $399 the best deal I could find was $490 and I jumped on it.

So far with only 6 hours on the new cart it sounds great. I sounds like a smoother better tracking red so far with better control on the high end. Lastly the moving coil sounds more responsive and allows a bit more detail. I do miss the in your face-ness of the red but again the new cart isn't fully broken in yet. More to come.

This move so far has really opened my eyes as to how well the 2M Red really is... Again this is pre-break-in.
gajCA likes this.

Last edited by Adaboy; 02-09-2015 at 08:42 PM.
post #97 of 99 Old 02-10-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaboy View Post
yes you are correct I did replace the 2M Red. I would have loved to find the Quintet for $399 the best deal I could find was $490 and I jumped on it.

So far with only 6 hours on the new cart it sounds great. I sounds like a smoother better tracking red so far with better control on the high end. Lastly the moving coil sounds more responsive and allows a bit more detail. I do miss the in your face-ness of the red but again the new cart isn't fully broken in yet. More to come.

This move so far has really opened my eyes as to how well the 2M Red really is... Again this is pre-break-in.

I saw the Quintet on Ortofon's website. I misread the price...it was 399 euros, not dollars!

So, how hard was it to install? Just curious....

Thanks.

post #98 of 99 Old 02-10-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
I saw the Quintet on Ortofon's website. I misread the price...it was 399 euros, not dollars!

So, how hard was it to install? Just curious....

Thanks.

All good bud. Amazingly this was the very first complete cartridge install and it only took about 45 minutes. Previously I've made corrections to the 2M Red which gave me some practice. The square straight lines of the QBlue made for much easier alignment than the Red due to the lovely to look at shape, but harder to line up.

I used a digital VTF scale and the tables alignment grid. Also adjusted the azimuth while I was at it.

I will say for the cost of the cart I was pretty nervous during the balancing portion. Oh and I had to replace the counter weight which I ordered ahead of time. I tried to see if the old one would work and after testing... Nope glad I upgraded it.
post #99 of 99 Old 04-25-2015, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have a question about the Ortofon 2M Red that ships with this table. The Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC manual alternately states to set the tracking force to 17.5 on page 4 and 18 on page 6 while Ortofon says 18.5. Currently it's set at 18 on my table. Any suggestions?

Neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio