Burner App - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-01-2012, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone using their iPhone/iPod to burn their headphones? "Burner LR" is a very simple (and most importantly Free) app that gets the job done.... Enjoy smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-01-2012, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Congratulations. You win the award for Dumbest Idea of the Month. Not bad for the first day of the month!
Ethan Winer likes this.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #3 of 6 Old 11-02-2012, 10:18 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

Congratulations. You win the award for Dumbest Idea of the Month. Not bad for the first day of the month!

I'm assuming the OP meant "burn-in"? (I can't get to the app store at work to verify.)

If so, I don't quite understand why this is a dumb idea. Many headphone listeners have strong opinions on the effect of burn-in. I've met more than a few speaker listeners who believe the same. Seems like this guy is telling that crowd about a free widget to do the job. When I used to hang out over at head-fi years ago, getting the right frequency sweep to properly burn in HD600s vs DT880s, etc was a big topic.

You can argue the merits of burn-in, but that's almost a separate discussion from providing something to its proponents.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-02-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bprjam View Post

I'm assuming the OP meant "burn-in"? (I can't get to the app store at work to verify.)
If so, I don't quite understand why this is a dumb idea. Many headphone listeners have strong opinions on the effect of burn-in. I've met more than a few speaker listeners who believe the same. Seems like this guy is telling that crowd about a free widget to do the job. When I used to hang out over at head-fi years ago, getting the right frequency sweep to properly burn in HD600s vs DT880s, etc was a big topic.
You can argue the merits of burn-in, but that's almost a separate discussion from providing something to its proponents.

Question for the burn in proponents: How does every device "know" exactly when to stop burning in? Otherwise, you would only have optimal sound for a few moments before it began to decline.

Another question: Why does this only impact audio components. I'm pretty sure my computer didn't add 1+1 and get 3 at any time when it was new.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-02-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by bprjam View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

If so, I don't quite understand why this is a dumb idea.

Because component burn in is an audiophile myth.
Quote:
Many headphone listeners have strong opinions on the effect of burn-in.

Oh, a post from that alternative universe where the laws of physics are subject to popularity contests.

Tired of water seeking its own level?

Tired of heat energy always flowing in the direction of decreasing temperature?

Let's have an election and put the laws of physics up for a vote! ;-)
post #6 of 6 Old 11-02-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I thought I was seeing things when the post about burning in headphones appeared. PT Barnum was right- one born every minute. back in the day we used to send guys looking for cable stretchers, video leaks along a 1,000 ft cable, and the usual left handed screwdrivers and wirecutters.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page