2-Channel Speakers - primarily music, $1000 budget (also posted in speaker thread) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-04-2012, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I realize this question is asked frequently, but I've done my research. I'm wondering if anything has changed and would like to put the question out into the ether again. I have about a grand to spend on a stereo pair of speakers - new or used, I don't really care (condition is important if used though). Having asked similar questions previously, I will try to cover the important factors at the outset:
These could be in one of two rooms, so some versatility would be of benefit: Room 1: 12x10; Room 2: 20x15
Music: blues, rock, jazz - in that order, then possibly some television (I already have a quite nice HT setup, so that's not a factor)
Budget: $1000 - would prefer not to have a sub, but would make an exception for bookshelves
Existing Equipment: Emotiva USP-1, UPA-5 amp (may switch out for a decent 2-channel), upgraded Technics 1200 TT (to be named CD, and possibly some I-Pod music)

Items I've considered thus far:
Axiom M60/80's (have heard the original version of the M60's and enjoyed the detail - haven't heard v3 and wouldn't want a sub with towers)
Swans
Rockets (have a pair of 760's I could use, but then would have to buy new surrounds for HT... lol)
Ascends CBM-170's (with a sub) or 340's - had the original of both, but have yet to hear the SE editions
Aperions - have yet to hear these, but live near Portland (city of manufacture)
Aurum Cantus L2's (available used locally, ~$500
PBN Montana Monitor
Norh - very interested in these, but as they have to ship from Thailand it would be an investment and possibly an expensive return process
Magnepan
Vandersteen Model 2 or 1B (both available used locally, <$400)

I am fairly obviously a fan of the internet-direct model, but am not stuck with it hard and fast - so any recommendations or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I realize the tonal qualities of many of these speakers are considerably different also, but I am interested in your thoughts given the associated equipment and musical tastes listed. I do greatly enjoy detail, but not to the point of fatigue; I do not generally listen to extremely loud music and am not remotely interested excessive bass.

Thoughts?

--TDA

"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 113
If the new speakers are for the same room as where the USP-1 and the HT resides why not use the home theater bypass function and use the mains you have now? The UPA-5 is competent enough to drive all but the most demanding speakers. If you aren't happy with your current speakers for 2 channel you might want to select a pair that will blend in with the rest of the current HT speakers so you can use the HT bypass setup. I have a USP-1 and use it in HT bypass on occasion. I don't use the HT equipment very often since football and Nascar sounds quite good on 2 channel IMO.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Old 11-06-2012, 06:59 PM

Tekton Lores or Zu Audio Omens (Christmas special for $999).
Old 11-06-2012, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Wow... the Zu's would be sweet!

The HT is in the basement, two channel is upstairs--I like to spin vinyl for company and it's just not the same in the basement wink.gif

"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals."
Old 11-07-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
KEF Direct for sell-offs, either:

a) two iQ70 for $300 each

or

b) a pair of iQ30 for $350 the pair, and get a sub

Old 11-12-2012, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 103
A pair of the Swan D2.1SE+ monitors, currently going for $699. If you are concerned about bass, these handle music genres like Hard Rock and Rap very well, without sacrificing precision or air for Classical music.

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?p=swan-d2-1se%2B-stand-monitor&products_id=69&osCsid=012a3c549b813da1867569133567a578
Old 11-14-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 258
If you can get a pair of Vandersteen 2 speakers for that price, I would jump on it fast. That sounds like a steal.

I have had Vandersteen 2 and 3 speakers for years, and they are hard to beat at almost any price.

I wouldn't recommend using the 1B without a subwoofer; it really has no bass at all.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

I just ordered a pair of Sierra-1s with the NRT upgrade off of Agon... will post impressions after they arrive.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Congrats, Dude-make sure you have plenty of White Russian ingredients on hand for when the Sierras arrive smile.gif.

My girlfriend works at Hooters…in the kitchen.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

I most certainly will!

2 oz vodka
1 oz coffee liqueur
light cream

Pour vodka and coffee liqueur over ice cubes in an old-fashioned glass. Fill with light cream and serve.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 503
And no Eagles! Sorry, I couldn't resist. wink.gif

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."