Good integrated tube amp for Monitor Audio RX2 speakers (Silver Series) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-04-2012, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thinking of upgrading my amp, a Peachtree Nova.
Looking at the Dared 130. It has a built in DAC, but no specs are given about it that I can find.
Not sure if it has enough power either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-04-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdnel View Post

Looking at the Dared 130. It has a built in DAC, but no specs are given about it that I can find.

Common problem with some of the Peachtree stuff. Why not get a good external solid state amp and see if that doesn't cure the problem? Or buy new more efficient speakers? Tube experiments can get expensive fast and usually end up having to be upgraded for more power when there isn't enough power to drive the current speakers.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 12 Old 11-06-2012, 04:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 1142
Quote:

IME most audiophiles who complain about not having enough power actually have no idea at all whether they are clipping out the amp in actual use. A lot of this talk turns out to be audiophilia nervosa. ;-)

Please provide reliable evidence that you are running out of power.

What are your speakers like? What is the room like? What are your tastes for loud music like?
post #4 of 12 Old 11-06-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Your speakers are rated at 90db at 6 ohms and Monitor audio suggests 25-100 watts so you should have enough power as the I-30 is rated at 35 wpc. If you go for this install the 6L6 tubes as opposed to the EL34's. You'll get a fuller sound w/better bottom end. Electro Harmonex are very good and reliable if you want to upgrade your tubes.smile.gif
post #5 of 12 Old 11-06-2012, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input everyone, I'm very happy with my Nova as it does power my new speakers nicely at the volume levels I listen to (not loud) .
I just don't listen to music the way I did years ago when all I cared about was watts and bass. I am wondering about the specs on the DAC On the
130 because I listen to my music collection through a vortexbox as flac files. The Nova does not have the best DAC out there, but it does power
my speakers at levels allowed in my apartment building. My old Definitive speakers just would not preform at low levels at all, they did
sound great when turned up though. I'm no audiophile, but I am interested in upgrading.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-07-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for the input everyone, I'm very happy with my Nova as it does power my new speakers nicely at the volume levels I listen to (not loud) .
I just don't listen to music the way I did years ago when all I cared about was watts and bass. I am wondering about the specs on the DAC On the
130 because I listen to my music collection through a vortexbox as flac files. The Nova does not have the best DAC out there, but it does power
my speakers at levels allowed in my apartment building. My old Definitive speakers just would not preform at low levels at all, they did
sound great when turned up though. I'm no audiophile, but I am interested in upgrading.

Let's put it this way. There's plenty of evidence that the DAC in the Nova is far from being its biggest shortcoming Its biggest potential shortcoming can be bypassed via a front-panel switch... ;-)
post #7 of 12 Old 11-07-2012, 12:40 PM

And I highly doubt you'll need more power than the Nova. I live in an apartment as well and had a Nova powering Mirage OMD28 speakers just fine. they are far more demanding than the RX2, I think. but I'll find out tonight as I just ordered a pair of rx2 to replace the omd28 in my apartment as they put out WAY too much sound for the neighbors.

I was worried I was missing something too so bought a peachtree220. It has far too much power for apartment listening, and now it's sitting unplugged on my dresser:mad:

Fortunately I'll get to use the 220 at my parents house where I moved the omd28s!
post #8 of 12 Old 11-07-2012, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

arnyk, I have no idea what you mean by your comment about the Peachtree Nova.

My question is if the Dared 130 has a decent DAC and is well suited to my RX2's at

reasonable listening levels.

nycmtber, I think you will like your new RX2's. they have an excellent build quality

and sound great.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-08-2012, 05:41 AM

First impressions are favorable. I feel the Nova is more than adequate to drive the speakers.

The Rx2 are the first speakers my wife has thought fit her style of decor and that are sized proportionally to our room. So that's a big plus!
post #10 of 12 Old 11-08-2012, 05:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

arnyk, I have no idea what you mean by your comment about the Peachtree Nova.

My question is if the Dared 130 has a decent DAC and is well suited to my RX2's at
reasonable listening levels.

The DAC is just fine.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-10-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Are you actually USING the RX2 speakers with your amp now?

If so, what makes you think the power is inadequate? Are you hearing distortion on peaks? What is the problem? I very much doubt that the POWER is the issue; it is probably just the sound quality of the amplifier; which I do not like.

The Audio Research VSi60 is the best-sounding tube integrated amplifier amplifier in the world; nothing else comes close IMO.

The Musical Fidelity M3i is an excellent solid-state amplifier which is much less expensive.

If you really value good sound, just get one of those, and get sound to die for.

IMO, it is STUPID design practice to have the DAC in the same chassis as the amplifier, because the HF noise the DAC generates is hard to suppress, which makes the design more problematical and expensive (IF done RIGHT).

A separate DAC makes MUCH more sense from a design standpoint.

The built-in DAC severely compromises the sound quality of the Peachtree Nova IMO.

Quote:

post #12 of 12 Old 11-10-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycmtber View Post

First impressions are favorable. I feel the Nova is more than adequate to drive the speakers.
The Rx2 are the first speakers my wife has thought fit her style of decor and that are sized proportionally to our room. So that's a big plus!
Just a bit of info Michael Kelly of Aerial Speakers used a Peachtree I-Nova at the 2011 RMAF w/his $10,000 7T speakers. In fact he was so impressed w/the peachtree he purchased the unit. If the Peachtree is good enough for 7T's it should be good enough for the RX-2's.smile.gif
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page