How are the Sennheiser RS180 Wireless Headphones? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-05-2012, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 36
At this point, I'm dieing to get a pair of Wireless audiophile Headphones that sound on par with either
the Sennheisser HD555 or HD595's. At the moment, i have a pair of the HD595's which i absolutely LOVE when watching
movies or playing videogames, but I can't STAND the wire anymore. I like a clean set up, and it's always annoying having a wire scattered across the floor that i can
see when watching movies or playing games. XP not only that, but it gets in the way, either the top
part of it is either touching my neck or this and that and it's just an annoying distraction. tongue.gif

http://www.sennheiser.ca/live/senn/produit/en/1169
*RS180*

How do the Sennhesier Wireless RS180's sound in comparison? I'll admit, i don't like the silver/design of them
in comparison to the prettier 170's....but the 170's have a 'closed'(deal breaker. I'm not a
fan of closed 'sound' it's unatural to me) design and probably
don't sound as good anyways. Where as 180's are open styled, which is a 'must'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-06-2012, 04:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

At this point, I'm dieing to get a pair of Wireless audiophile Headphones that sound on par with either
the Sennheisser HD555 or HD595's. At the moment, i have a pair of the HD595's which i absolutely LOVE when watching
movies or playing videogames, but I can't STAND the wire anymore. I like a clean set up, and it's always annoying having a wire scattered across the floor that i can
see when watching movies or playing games. XP not only that, but it gets in the way, either the top
part of it is either touching my neck or this and that and it's just an annoying distraction. tongue.gif

http://www.sennheiser.ca/live/senn/produit/en/1169
*RS180*

How do the Sennhesier Wireless RS180's sound in comparison? I'll admit, i don't like the silver/design of them
in comparison to the prettier 170's....but the 170's have a 'closed'(deal breaker. I'm not a
fan of closed 'sound' it's unatural to me) design and probably
don't sound as good anyways. Where as 180's are open styled, which is a 'must'

I have RS160s and it is pretty clear to me that Sennheiser's digital link is reasonable to use and has very high electrical performance. I don't have experience with all of the various headphones that are attached to it. I am told that the higher priced models have greater range which is just about my only reservation about what I have. It works well in the same room as the transmitter, but does not cover the entire house. However, the house has wet plaster over steel lath walls and it is problematical for all things wireless.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-09-2012, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For movies and video games, the RS180 is perhaps the best choice. The latest RS220, however, actually has the same drivers as Sennheiser's very own HD600, which is an amazing headphone known for its non-colored, neutral sound reproduction. So either would be a good choice.

Destroysall.

post #4 of 9 Old 11-11-2012, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, based on reviews the RS180's sound quality-wise are on par with the wired HD595's which i currently have
and that right there makes more than happy. BUT, the only beef that i could possibly
have with the RS180's is that they leak a ton of sound, same case with any 'open' styled
headphone really including my HD595's to the point where you can hear it down the hallway,
and in other rooms on the top floor. eek! XP

That aside, I owned a pair of 'closed' Sennheiser HD380' Pro's and i just wasn't
satisfyed with the unatural closed in-ish sound they produced. But they didn't leak any sound,
so i never had to worry about disturbing anybody else at night. But in the end, i wasn't happy
using them in comparison to my previous HD555's which were on the friz, so instead i sold my HD380's
and got a pair of HD595's.

Anyways, I'd love to get the 'closed' Sennheiser RS170's because they don't leak any sound,
they're $50 cheaper and they 'look' better design wise. But I'm worried i'll end up being dissapointed
by the sound quality. with the RS180's it's a safe bet, and while being wire free will be amazing
they'll still be leaking just as much sound as my HD595's. Hmmm. XP

Also, do wireless headphones have any sort of delay? The last thing i'd want is something to be slightly
out of sync when somebodies talking in a movie.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-11-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Also, do wireless headphones have any sort of delay? The last thing i'd want is something to be slightly
out of sync when somebodies talking in a movie.

There is more latency than a straight analog connection, but not enough to mess with lip synch.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-15-2012, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ah, i see. well as long as it's on the minuscule side I'll be good to go. XP Anyways, I've decided that i'm going with the RS170's mainly
because they leak next to no sound. Just a couple of questions... i have a Sony 7.1 Amp/receiver and i was
wondering how exactly does the Wireless headphone base hook up to it? And can it also receive HDMI/audio
quality?

i'm currently using HDMI for audio with my Bluray Player And will be doing the same with my Wii U when hooked up to my Amp/receiver.
Thanks!
post #7 of 9 Old 11-16-2012, 06:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ah, i see. well as long as it's on the minuscule side I'll be good to go. XP Anyways, I've decided that i'm going with the RS170's mainly
because they leak next to no sound. Just a couple of questions... i have a Sony 7.1 Amp/receiver and i was
wondering how exactly does the Wireless headphone base hook up to it? And can it also receive HDMI/audio
quality?

i'm currently using HDMI for audio with my Bluray Player And will be doing the same with my Wii U when hooked up to my Amp/receiver.
Thanks!

The inputs to the Sennheiser digital headphones models RS 160-180 is a 3.5 mm analog jack. Mine is connected to the RCA output jacks of my ADC via the usual adaptor.

You make a point, being that digital headphones with only analog inputs are a bit of an audio oxymoron in this day and age.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-16-2012, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm a bit of a noob so bare with me. XP
That 3.5 MM jack input is the headphone input on the front of my Amp/receiver i'm guessing?
If that's the case, i'm going to have a wire just like before hanging out of it, in this case
connecting to the RS170's base. The entire point of going wireless for me was to have a cleaner looking
set up. ugh. XP

Isn't there a way to connect it to one of the inputs in the 'back' of the receiver? Maybe
by using some sort of adapter?
post #9 of 9 Old 11-16-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm a bit of a noob so bare with me. XP
That 3.5 MM jack input is the headphone input on the front of my Amp/receiver i'm guessing?

Maybe. I don't know if the jack in question is more like 1/4 inch or 1/8 inch. If it is 1/8 inch then that is a 3.5 mm jack. If it is 1/4 inch then good cheap effective adapters abound. Some headphones just come with them. RS sells them. No sweat!
Quote:
If that's the case, i'm going to have a wire just like before hanging out of it, in this case
connecting to the RS170's base.

Maybe.

Since the RS series base stations have line level inputs, you can hook them up to many of the RCA jack outputs that a receiver might have.
Quote:
The entire point of going wireless for me was to have a cleaner looking et up. ugh. XP

Trust me, loosing the wire going from the receiver to the headphones is a major advantage. Mine was 25 feet long because 12 feet didn't reach. However, you've got options.
Quote:
Isn't there a way to connect it to one of the inputs in the 'back' of the receiver? Maybe by using some sort of adapter?

Yes, there are ways to connect it to one of the inputs in the 'back' of the receiver. You may be able to avoid the receiver all together like I do.

What receiver?
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page