high quality audio/video "audiophile grade" switch - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-07-2012, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
my preamp only has 1 aux input, but i have a few sources. is there such a switch that wont degrade the audio too much?

something like this but high grade, and possibly with a remote (no video, if it exists)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23153%3B+-+Component+Video+Switch/9239424.p;jsessionid=98D6F45BEA0B13D9D8B03E2AA82E90E1.bbolsp-app05-10?id=1218065984315&skuId=9239424&st=dynex%20switch&cp=1&lp=2

ISF certified in 2008
ISF Level II certified in 2010
ISF instructor certified in 2012
ISFJasonD65@gmail.com
Serving Florida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-07-2012, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoostil View Post

my preamp only has 1 aux input, but i have a few sources. is there such a switch that wont degrade the audio too much?

something like this but high grade, and possibly with a remote (no video, if it exists)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23153%3B+-+Component+Video+Switch/9239424.p;jsessionid=98D6F45BEA0B13D9D8B03E2AA82E90E1.bbolsp-app05-10?id=1218065984315&skuId=9239424&st=dynex%20switch&cp=1&lp=2

How about this?

http://www.adorama.com/ROLSS32.html

post #3 of 12 Old 11-07-2012, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

contact the family and get them to build you some metal specific for the input of the preamp .. it could act like a filter to clean things up tremendously.
post #4 of 12 Old 11-07-2012, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Most switches like this are what the pros call "glitch switches". They are simply cheap leaf slide switches with mechanical interlocks. The switches found in the old DB-9 and 15 pin VGA cable rotary switches for computer source select are INFINITELY better grade and more robust. They are totally passive and operate as break before make. You could use one oof these with absolutely no degradation of the audio at all. Simply have some adapter cables made with DB-9 or 15 on one end and 2 RCAs on the other. You would be surprised as the commion use of such simple switches in the professional audio visual presentation business and the broadcast industry.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-08-2012, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anwaypasible View Post

Quote:

contact the family and get them to build you some metal specific for the input of the preamp .. it could act like a filter to clean things up tremendously.

If a switch acts like a filter for analog audio, it is so screwed up that I can't even comprehend of such a thing.

Interestingly enough, move the frequencies up by a factor of a thousand or more, from 20 KHz to 20 MHz, and you're talking PC video and switches and the wiring associated with them can actually cause visible filtering and reliably perceptible degradation. There is nothing about that which can be reasonably be translated down into audio frequencies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmologist 
Most switches like this are what the pros call "glitch switches". They are simply cheap leaf slide switches with mechanical interlocks. The switches found in the old DB-9 and 15 pin VGA cable rotary switches for computer source select are INFINITELY better grade and more robust. They are totally passive and operate as break before make. You could use one oof these with absolutely no degradation of the audio at all. Simply have some adapter cables made with DB-9 or 15 on one end and 2 RCAs on the other. You would be surprised as the commion use of such simple switches in the professional audio visual presentation business and the broadcast industry.

I almost hesitate to put my esteemed associate Gizmologist's words in the same post as the ones I responded to above, because I respect him and his obvious depth of real world experience, but in the interest of compactness...

I guess I agree that cheap slide switches are worse than cheap rotary switches, at least a little. On balance a well-made slide switch (e.g. C&K) can be really pretty good. For example:

This is solid molded slide switch by C&K that costs about 10 times as much as the standard product from the same factory and probably close to 100 times more than the cheapest garbage that is out there. IME the cheaper C&K is still a really pretty good switch. And, they can make slide switches that are make-before-break.

However, the basic point that switches can be all over the map quality-wise is very true. Its not about pacific rim sourcing, because they will make whatever you are willing to accept from them and pay for, and if you hold out for quality, they can supply it.

Using the right switch for the job at hand is very important. Switching line level audio is relatively easy, and most audible problems due to switches come when they are essentially broken, including getting dirty. If I needed a stereo switch to expand the inputs on something with RCA jacks, I'd be tempted to go find a little die-cast box and pop a nicely-made DPDT toggle switch into it.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-08-2012, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
do you think this piece has a good quality switch inside?

http://www.adorama.com/ROLSS32.html?utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Shopping%20Site&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=pgrabl

i wonder what i would find if i picked up that dynex piece and cracked it open...

ISF certified in 2008
ISF Level II certified in 2010
ISF instructor certified in 2012
ISFJasonD65@gmail.com
Serving Florida
post #7 of 12 Old 11-08-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:

do you think this piece has a good quality switch inside?

http://www.adorama.com/ROLSS32.html?utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Shopping%20Site&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=pgrabl

Since Rolls is a pro audio supplier and I've had some of their other stuff, I'd expect pretty fair build quality.
Quote:
i wonder what i would find if i picked up that dynex piece and cracked it open...

Since it is cheap and remote controlled, I'd expect to find some buffers and electronic switches. No contacts at all other than the connectors. Look at the user reviews - it seems to work for about 80% of the people responding and fall on its face for the others.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-08-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

If a switch acts like a filter for analog audio, it is so screwed up that I can't even comprehend of such a thing.
Interestingly enough, move the frequencies up by a factor of a thousand or more, from 20 KHz to 20 MHz, and you're talking PC video and switches and the wiring associated with them can actually cause visible filtering and reliably perceptible degradation. There is nothing about that which can be reasonably be translated down into audio frequencies.

yeah..
i'm talking about a bronze or copper piece of metal that is soft enough to get a dent from your finger nail.
with a big wood handle on the switch if you wanted it.
bigger than browsing the bottom of a brita pitcher.

in the mhz area it is like going through a filter, jst that the contact of audio to the filter is zoomed in more per problem.
and those long squiggles could help patch ripples in an audio signal.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-09-2012, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
with a big wood handle on the switch if you wanted it.
bigger than browsing the bottom of a brita pitcher.

in the mhz area it is like going through a filter, jst that the contact of audio to the filter is zoomed in more per problem.
and those long squiggles could help patch ripples in an audio signal.

Jibberish
post #10 of 12 Old 11-09-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

Jibberish

well if the lines in the metal are long squiggles, or if the lines are short blotches lined up on top of eachother like bubble wrap .. what-ever.
its like filling in a scratch to bring the layer back to new or polished up to be 'ready for sale'
post #11 of 12 Old 11-09-2012, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by anwaypasible View Post

well if the lines in the metal are long squiggles, or if the lines are short blotches lined up on top of eachother like bubble wrap .. what-ever.
its like filling in a scratch to bring the layer back to new or polished up to be 'ready for sale'

More jibberish...use a better translater.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-10-2012, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
More jibberish...use a better translater.

no, no, the effect of BC's finest export...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page