2.0 receiver dilemma - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-08-2012, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can't decide which system will serve best in the long run. Sherwood 4503 or Sony STRDH-130. I have Yamaha subwoofer bargain unit too, I like to have a sub but only the sherwood supports it however the Sony supplies 35 more watts. I know there cheap but this is for my bedroom. And Im pairing with some off brand theater audio s-w8 speakers. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Based upon the limited criteria provided from your post alone (not otherwise intimately familiar with either receiver), because of the sub out, keep the Sherwood. A 35 watt increase provided by the Sony has very little if any positive impact upon its volume capability over the Sherwood, i.e., it's too small to matter.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

These are some very, entry level stereo receivers. Just getting into the basic understanding of A/V myself. The sub I believe is also a better option than the sony 2.0 system. I'm hoping someone has some background or previous experience with a sherwood product.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchey562 View Post

Can't decide which system will serve best in the long run. Sherwood 4503 or Sony STRDH-130. I have Yamaha subwoofer bargain unit too, I like to have a sub but only the sherwood supports it however the Sony supplies 35 more watts. I know there cheap but this is for my bedroom. And Im pairing with some off brand theater audio s-w8 speakers. Any advice?

I was pretty much in your shoes a few months back when my 5-year-old Sherwood 2-channel receiver bit the dust. I didn't see the 4503 in my search for a replacement, and instead ended up with a Yamaha RXV-371 AVR that a local dealer close-out put me into for even less than highly competitive prices I see for either of the two receivers you are looking at now. All three receivers are still on the market, and Amazon has the RXV-371 for about $40 more. So, I'll adress all 3.

If you are going to use a powered sub during the life of this purchase, then IMO the Sony instantly bites the dust because it lacks a proper subwoofer output.

Sherwood wisely put a LFE output on their receiver, but according to the user manual

http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/manuals/252-228-sherwood-rx-4503-manual.pdf

there is no bass management to back it up, which makes it only a little better than nothing.

IMO the extra $40 for the RXV-371 or a similar competitive 5.1 AVR is a good investment. Heck, the extra $70 or so for the newer RXV-373 with YPAO or competitive equivalent may even be a better investment.

(1) Any of these low end AVRs can IME be transformed into highly credible 2-channel receivers by flogging their menus for a few minutes and accurately telling them about the speakers that are actually attached. For example, a center channel speaker can be a plus for a 2-channel system and when or if you obtain one you can wire it up, tell the receiver about it, and enjoy!

(2) Even the bottom end AVRs from major manufacturers have bass management, meaning adjustable crossovers that can optimize the use of all of your speakers. The Sony doesn't even try and the Sherwood is so limited in this area that I'd call it lip service.

(3) AFAIK all of the low end AVRs from the major manufacturers have a fairly complete set of digital inputs and video switching, which don't hurt if you don't use them, and are invaluable if you need them. For example, if you link a $90 Blu ray player to an AVR digitally, the $90 Blu Ray player's DACs have the same effect on system sound quality as the DACs in a $500 Blu Ray player hooked up the same way, which is optimal for both.

(4) Some or most of the newer low end AVRs from the majors have built in manual equalization and some even have automated system tuning which can help the SQ of your system greatly when you choose to start using it.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
You should consider an entry level home theater receiver as well. The idea behind getting a dedicated stereo receiver is that you're not paying for things you don't need, like the amps for the extra channels and all the video hardware. However, others here with more AV experience recommend HTRs for a couple of reasons. First, the HTRs are made in much larger quantities, and so the economy of scale brings the cost way down, so you're not really paying that much more for the extra stuff. Second, if you use electronic sources of any kind, having inputs optical audio and HDMI is a godsend. Most stereo receivers don't have those inputs, but entry level HTRs as low as $250 do. The Yamaha V373 even has a USB input for an ipod or flash drive. When you get into the next price level, HTRs also start including room correction, which is easily the most valuable feature on a receiver.

I go back and forth on what's the best choice for a stereo music setup myself, but I have to say the . Based on your criteria, I'd say splurge on the Yamaha V373. Yahamas are great for music, and it's as future proof as you can get at that price point. For your bedroom, 85 Watts per channel is more than enough.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

You definitely have broken it down. For the money It would be foolish to skip out on more power and channels in the competitive a/v market right now. I just wanted a simple solution for my bedroom. I have a denon 3313ci in my living room and plan to set my bedroom as the 3rd zone. I don't watch tv in my bedroom only news in the mornings which never requires great sound. I like it but was considering any video receiveriwould be matrixed in with the new option on this years model. However I'm still in the return period to give unit and scale it down to one good a/v receiver and a bargain one in my room. Gonna definitely considering your model you mention. I also am new to impedence matching.. I have speakers that are 6 ohm for my room. . What receivers works better with 6phms on a budget for bedroom. Will the yamaha?
Old 11-08-2012, 06:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchey562 View Post

You definitely have broken it down. For the money It would be foolish to skip out on more power and channels in the competitive a/v market right now. I just wanted a simple solution for my bedroom. I have a denon 3313ci in my living room and plan to set my bedroom as the 3rd zone. I don't watch tv in my bedroom only news in the mornings which never requires great sound. I like it but was considering any video receiveriwould be matrixed in with the new option on this years model. However I'm still in the return period to give unit and scale it down to one good a/v receiver and a bargain one in my room. Gonna definitely considering your model you mention. I also am new to impedence matching.. I have speakers that are 6 ohm for my room. . What receivers works better with 6phms on a budget for bedroom. Will the yamaha?

The Yamaha AVR is rated for operation down to 2 ohm loads.