Good match? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-08-2012, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can not find a dealer where I can listen to both my choices at the same time.

I like the nad c390dd and the kef ls50 speakers. Are these a good match for each other?

Is the nad overkill for the kef's?

Do the kef's sound merit a different integrated?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-08-2012, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
What have you been smoking? It's just an amp and a pair of speakers. Neither are particularly great brands.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #3 of 10 Old 11-09-2012, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

What have you been smoking? It's just an amp and a pair of speakers. Neither are particularly great brands.

Not very helpful.
post #4 of 10 Old 11-09-2012, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Several, make that many, years ago I ran large KEFs (104.3) with a NAD amp and they played nicely together. I have no reason to believe that current and more modestly priced equipment from these guys won't perform well.

Norm
post #5 of 10 Old 11-09-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by motobonsai View Post

I can not find a dealer where I can listen to both my choices at the same time.

I like the nad c390dd and the kef ls50 speakers. Are these a good match for each other?

Is the nad overkill for the kef's?

Do the kef's sound merit a different integrated?

The KEF LS50s look a lot like my KEF Q15s, only somewhat updated.

I really like my Q15s.

I've driven my Q15s with a lot of different amps, both cheap low powered and also fairly expensive high powered, and lots in between. Still sounded great.

Me myself, I'd prefer to pair them with a low end AVR from a good manufacturer set up to run in 2.0 mode.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-09-2012, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by motobonsai View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Not very helpful.

Sorry. You're just putting too much emphasis on the amp IMHO. Listening to the speakers other than your own room is also of limited value...

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #7 of 10 Old 11-10-2012, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

That's the problem for me. There is no kef dealer anywhere in my area.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-10-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 258
KEF makes excellent speakers, and they have been for 50 years. They are one of Britain's top manufacturers/designers. . Anyone who says that is not a good brand is ignorant of their products. I have never talked to any KEF owner who was not very satisfied.

KEF Direct has the iQ70 on closeout for $599 per pair, half of the original price, and I would advise you to consider them. They are excellent-sounding speakers; have no fear.

Another excellent speaker is the PSB Image T6, which runs $1300 per pair. They are the best speakers in their price class IMO.

The Absolute Sound and AVGuide gave the NAD 390 a very positive review, and there is no reason to think it is anything but a high-quality unit with very good sound and lots of power to drive any speaker.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-10-2012, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

KEF makes excellent speakers, and they have been for 50 years. They are one of Britain's top manufacturers/designers. . Anyone who says that is not a good brand is ignorant of their products.
KEF Direct has the iQ70 on closeout for $599 per pair, half of the original price, and I would advise you to consider them. They are excellent-sounding speakers; have no fear.
Another excellent speaker is the PSB Image T6, which runs $1300 per pair. They are the best speakers in their price class IMO.
The Absolute Sound and AVGuide gove the NAD 390 a very positive review, and there is no reason to think it is anything but a high-quality unit with very good sound and lots of power to drive any speaker.

Great information. Thank you. I will take a look at the iq70 and there is a psb dealer near me.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-10-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 258
I had the PSB Image T6 for two years, and never heard a single thing out of them I didn't like; they are nice!

I did move up to some more expensive Gallo Acoustics speakers recently, because they I happened to hear them and they are even better, but more money of course...lol.
Reply 2-Channel Audio