Help and question about cassete deck-s... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-11-2012, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello to everyone, i try to find prices of cassette decks around the net but is very hard because it's old equipment so i decide to ask here... well, friend of my friend have some models to sell, i want to buy it because i have a lot of equipment at home, maybe i sell later some of them... can anyone tell me how much cost some of them, they are in very fine condition, 4/5... you don't have to be precise with price... thanks in advance, Phillip.

technics rs-tr575m2
technics rs-bx501
pioneer ct-737 mark II
teac w-850r
teac a-303
philips n5421
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-11-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 260
$5.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #3 of 8 Old 11-11-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Pay nothing. Take them all to a recycling/scrap metal center. You may get ~$5 for each one.
Or... have your "friend" put them up on Ebay or Craigslist to see what offers he gets. wink.gif
post #4 of 8 Old 11-11-2012, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I'd be willing to bet that unless it were a very unusual model you won't get shipping plus $5 for them on ebay. There is a very small market for cassette decks and those have to be special to fetch any money. Even at that they must be mint or near mint to get $50 for one.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #5 of 8 Old 11-14-2012, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Any of those cassette decks probably has enough wear on the guides and tape heads to severely reduce their performance from what they were when new; and they weren't all that wonderful when new.

The only decks that were worth a damn, IMO, were the 3-head Nakamichi decks, which had a transport and tape heads designed to last a long time.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-18-2012, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I would opt for the TEAC series as they still have parts availble from here in Santa Fe Springs, CA. if necessary and they do the service in house as well. Legacy TEAC products have a very good reputation - deservedly so.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-19-2012, 12:37 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill Stone View Post

Hello to everyone, i try to find prices of cassette decks around the net but is very hard because it's old equipment so i decide to ask here... well, friend of my friend have some models to sell, i want to buy it because i have a lot of equipment at home, maybe i sell later some of them... can anyone tell me how much cost some of them, they are in very fine condition, 4/5... you don't have to be precise with price... thanks in advance, Phillip.

technics rs-tr575m2
technics rs-bx501
pioneer ct-737 mark II
teac w-850r
teac a-303
philips n5421

I think the Pioneer CT-737 Mark II is the pick of the litter. (Probably the most recently manufactured too.) If, as you say, “they are in very fine condition”, it would be a real shame if it got “scrapped”. – Don’t do that.

The other two “single well” decks, the Teac a-303 and Phillips n5421, are much older, but, again, if they really are “in very fine condition” , their apparent Ferro-Chrome (aka: Type III) tape compatibility might be desirable to someone who made the mistake of spending long hours recording collections to that, short lived and long abandoned, tape type. (I only made two tapes using Ferro-Chrome tapes and they sounded great; much better than type I and probably better than Type II. However, when played back on more modern decks, lacking a Ferro-Chrome selector, the sound is noticeably wonky.)

Never been a fan of “dual well” decks. So, I my feeling would be that an old dual well deck would be double trouble.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page