AT&T U-verse to play FLAC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-12-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello

Simple question that's probably going to take trial and error when I get time but here is a question I cant even get AT&T to answer: rolleyes.gif

Can U-Verse Media Share play a FLAC format?

AT&T 2008 documentation (the only thing I can find on the net) states their U-verse Media Share feature can only play WMA and MP3 formats. However, my current CD collection has been ripped to the WAV format and can be streamed to any set top box I have throughout my house (and garage). I want to possibly re-rip the entire collection to FLAC to better integrate with my winamp, WD TV Live and Driod Razr HDs as its features are far more attractive than WAV at this time.

Please let me know and direct me to the place you've discovered that can back up your claim.

Thank you
Mopar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked: 547
I am not a user of AT&T U-verse. But did do a search just now and it seems like it is a DLNA client working against WMP as the DLNA server. WMP does not support FLAC. Nor does DLNA. UPnP does support PCM audio so if the server could decode the file and would presumably play files like FLAC. It would have to lie about the file type so that it can communicate the file format to the client. I am not sure if anyone has built such a solution.

As to how I know any of this, my group at Microsoft developed WMP. And I was personally one of the founding members of DLNA on behalf of Microsoft. I fought but lost the battle to get DLNA to mandate support of compressed audio. That said, I left Microsoft back in 2008 and so my data my be rusty smile.gif.

Edit: Changed UPnP to DLNA. Have no idea why I said that instead smile.gif.

Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"
Old 11-13-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar426 View Post

Hello

Simple question that's probably going to take trial and error when I get time but here is a question I cant even get AT&T to answer: rolleyes.gif

Can U-Verse Media Share play a FLAC format?

AT&T 2008 documentation (the only thing I can find on the net) states their U-verse Media Share feature can only play WMA and MP3 formats. However, my current CD collection has been ripped to the WAV format and can be streamed to any set top box I have throughout my house (and garage). I want to possibly re-rip the entire collection to FLAC to better integrate with my winamp, WD TV Live and Driod Razr HDs as its features are far more attractive than WAV at this time.

Please let me know and direct me to the place you've discovered that can back up your claim.

Not a lot of help, but this at least gets you the 2009 version of AT&T's story about Media Share.

http://www.att.com/support_media/images/pdf/uverse/Media_Share_User_Guide7.pdf

That gets you an answer about Windows 7.

It appears that AT&T have not deigned to admit that Windows 8 exists...

and given that MS just lost Windows 8's main architect, do we even want to get on a ship that the rats are exiting with vigor?

;-)

The core problem mght be that MS didn't invent FLAC and have a competitive format of their own that they are trying to push.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Great answers!! I worked with this last night to no avail.

I'm running Windows 7 and not interested in upgrading to 8 anytime soon. My objective is to have the best possibility of CD quality @ 1411 kbps / 16 bits for wired or Wi-Fi streaming throughout my home from hanging out on my patio or garage to that Sweet Spot in my living room, while queuing up the next song. and then a 320 Kbps mp3 for syncing to my RAZR HD or streaming through my carrier's network directly from my PC.

So, If I installed a FLAC Codec for Windows Media Player 11:

1st, would I achieve my desired results? That being, Utilize U-Verse Media Share which seams to have no issues with the WAV
format though its not listed in the document link provided above.

2nd, where could I obtain that reliable codec?

3rd, is this a moot point because of the relationship with UPnP and FLAC being non-existent.

4th, if #3 provided the final nail in my FLAC coffin, what would anyone suggest as solution? My WAV files play nice but lack metadata (That WMP seams to fill in "some" blanks) thus when I covert to mp3 I get "unknown_this/unknown_that/TRACK 5" no Album Art, ending in a sync full of dirty dishes.

This is all too frustrating to a point, knowing that if I dumped everything and went Apple (New MAC, New AV receiver, Air-Play, I-Pad mini and I-Phone) I'd be enjoying the features instead of tinkering with third party this and that to achieve the same. However, I do find it entertaining to research those cards I've dealt myself with a PC.

Thank you for your input
Old 11-13-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar426 View Post

So, If I installed a FLAC Codec for Windows Media Player 11:
1st, would I achieve my desired results? That being, Utilize U-Verse Media Share which seams to have no issues with the WAV
There are two problems that must be solved. One is having a FLAC decoder for WMP and the other, forcing DLNA protocol to understand it. The former has solutions. While I have not used them, here is decoder install: http://xiph.org/dshow/. Install and test them to see if it plays locally. Once there, give it a shot with your U-Verse box. I suspect it will not work but it is worth a try. The reason I say it does not work is because this is a standardized protocol (DLNA) and both sides need to understand this file type. But the standard does not include Flac. There may be a solution out there but I don't know it. You can google for "DLNA and FLAC" and see what you can find.
Quote:
4th, if #3 provided the final nail in my FLAC coffin, what would anyone suggest as solution? My WAV files play nice but lack metadata (That WMP seams to fill in "some" blanks) thus when I covert to mp3 I get "unknown_this/unknown_that/TRACK 5" no Album Art, ending in a sync full of dirty dishes.
You can go directly from Flac to MP3 without going to .wav. I assume the metadata would be preserved. So if you are happy with high bit rate MP3/WMA, that would a good solution here.
Quote:
This is all too frustrating to a point, knowing that if I dumped everything and went Apple (New MAC, New AV receiver, Air-Play, I-Pad mini and I-Phone) I'd be enjoying the features instead of tinkering with third party this and that to achieve the same. However, I do find it entertaining to research those cards I've dealt myself with a PC.
Thank you for your input
There is a lot to be said about the integrated and easy way the Apple universe works this way although it also doesn't understand Flac. If you converted your files to Apple lossless or AAC, you would be good to go end to end. You will have a nice touch interface to browse and push content to Air Play (e.g. on iPad). The same can also be done with Windows but more work will be involved smile.gif.

Edit: did a bit of googling and it seems that some DLNA servers do transcode FLAC to PCM. So give the above a try and see if it works with WMP. if it does not, getting another DLNA server that does may be the solution.

Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"
Old 11-13-2012, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

I have yet to install the FLAC codex for WMP. I think my hang up is the fact that I like to shift music via Skifta or Orb from my PC to my WD TV Live box.
If I decide I can live with 320 Kbps mp3s on all U-Verse boxes throughout the house, my current set up will enable that, as it already does with WAV. For the living room with said sweet spot, I'd ditch the STB for WD TV Live, that indeed does play my test FLAC Album Clockwork Angles. I can control the WD TV with my DROID via the WD app but that's just a remote. I want to "shift" the FLAC file from the PC to the WD with Skifta. Seeing what I'm selecting in the app is better that having the Kuro on as a giant joke box display. Following my madness. I think I still have the same problem with that desire do I not? The difference is the WD can for sure play FLAC as the U-Verse STB is still and unknown.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:08 PM

Liked: 32
ATT did not design the software that they are using on their UVerse boxes, it is Microsoft that designed the Media Room software that is used.