First time system - 2 tower speakers & subwoofer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-13-2012, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am moving into a new place (pictured below) in a few weeks and am trying to get everything now before I move since I have the time. I am renting the place and it is wired for a home theater, but for a few reasons I am leaning towards just the two speakers and a subwoofer. I'm not a big movie watcher and when I do I'm usually doing something else at the same time, it'll probably be a split between music and cable TV. I also may only be here for a year, so I don't want to get something that is just a fit for this place but instead a setup that is more flexible.

I got a Pioneer VSX-521-K from a buddy that's in good condition and since the remote is missing bought a refurbished Harmony Logitech 650 remote from newegg.com.

For the speakers, I'm budgeting ~$300. And will be using it mainly for TV and music when working on the computer or entertaining guests.

I was about to purchase the Polk PSW10 sub, but after reading reviews on here decided not to. I do want something ~$100 and that will fit in the bottom space below the TV stand (guessing around 13 inches tall). I understand with those limitations, I won't be getting the greatest quality. After seeing the BIC F12 highly regarded on many posts I looked into it, but it's too big for that spot and probably more than what I'm wanting to spend. I then I saw the BIC V-80 and am leaning towards that.

For the tower speakers, I was looking at the Polk Monitor series. Yesterday the Monitor50's were on sale for $75 and I would probably have bought them by now if they were still at that price.

For my first foray into more than just the TV speakers I'm not wanting to get anything too complex, so I can figure out what I want and can more easily upgrade to something I know I'll want. That said, I would like what I choose to be something I'll be pleased with for at least a few years.

Any suggestions or comments would be great - I've already learned a lot so far just going back through old posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-13-2012, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
fwiw, frys electronics has the infinity p363's on sale for $110 ea. very hard to overlook at this price. imo an 8" sub is a waist of money as they are not going to get that much lower with these. i would look at the dayton audio sub 1200 for $119 at parts express. put it offto the side of the fireplace and use it as a small plant table

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #3 of 8 Old 11-14-2012, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 256
I suggest that you consider the Martin-Logan MLT-2 system. Amazon has it for under $300 right now, which is a steal IMO. I don't think you will do any better for less than $500-600.

The subwoofer is surprisingly good for one that comes in a one-box system (most of which are pure crap), and the front speakers and center speaker also do pretty well.

It sounds like you wouldn't use the rear speakers at this time, but you will have them to use sometime down the road.

This system performs much better IMO than the Take Classic or other puny HTIB systems that use front speakers that are too small.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-15-2012, 04:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post

fwiw, frys electronics has the infinity p363's on sale for $110 ea. very hard to overlook at this price. imo an 8" sub is a waist of money as they are not going to get that much lower with these. i would look at the dayton audio sub 1200 for $119 at parts express. put it offto the side of the fireplace and use it as a small plant table

I doubt that many people are going to actually obtain those p363s at that incredible price. What is generally available are P163s on Amazon and any number of other sources for under $100 each. The extra woofers in the 363 are a questionable investment at typical asking prices given that our system is going to have a subwoofer.

Your point about 8" subs being ineffective is IMO well-taken.

Trying to come up with an effective sub on a < $150 budget is pretty challenging. Probably too challenging.

The 12" Dayton Audio subwoofer sub you mention looks like a good job of trying to make the best of a tough situation. However, subwoofer dynamic range is based primarily on the ability of the driver to move air. Just because a woofer is larger doesn't mean that it has the Xmax to back the extra size up. IOW an 8 inch woofer with 10 mm Xmax is potentially a superior alternative to a 12 inch woofer with only 3 mm Xmax. These are both possible real world numbers. The Dayton sub seens to be under specified and is thus mystery meat in this critical area.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-15-2012, 04:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I suggest that you consider the Martin-Logan MLT-2 system. Amazon has it for under $300 right now, which is a steal IMO. I don't think you will do any better for less than $500-600.

The subwoofer is surprisingly good for one that comes in a one-box system (most of which are pure crap), and the front speakers and center speaker also do pretty well.

It sounds like you wouldn't use the rear speakers at this time, but you will have them to use sometime down the road.

This system performs much better IMO than the Take Classic or other puny HTIB systems that use front speakers that are too small.

Selling a $1200 system for $300 looks like a fire sale to me. However, the situation looks more believable given that:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1368760/martinlogan-assembled-by-paradigm

"ShoreView Industries has controlled Paradigm since 2005, and they also own the MartinLogan brand. I was surprised to see MartinLogan speakers actually being assembled inside the Paradigm factory in Toronto."
post #6 of 8 Old 11-15-2012, 06:27 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post

I concur. Few weeks ago, I was looking for towers in the not more than $300 range and possibly a sub, for mostly music with a little usage for movies and games. I narrowed it down to either the P363's from Electronics expo (use coupon code "dealzon" to get them for $124 each), Pioneer SP-FS52's from Best Buy for around $100 each, Polk Monitor 50's ($180/pr) or 60's ($279/pr).

If you want a sub, avoid the Dayton. Everything I've read about it says it's not real good. For tight budget sub, consider the BIC Venturi V1020 or Velodyne VX11, both for around $150-$170.

The Infinity's from Electronics Expo will cost about $50 for shipping (if you don't have a Fry's near you like me), Pioneers you can pick up at Best Buy (and they have great reviews!) and the Polks can be had from Polks Ebay store with free shipping.

Also, check out craigslist! At first, I wouldn't consider used. I'm glad I did. I found a pair of Infinity IL40's for $175 in excellent condition.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-16-2012, 06:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 778
The Polk Monitor60s are currently $100 ea at Newegg. Seems a good option for you since you were first thinking of the 50s. Then save your money until you can get a better sub.
zagnutty likes this.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #8 of 8 Old 11-17-2012, 10:00 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

The Polk Monitor60s are currently $100 ea at Newegg. Seems a good option for you since you were first thinking of the 50s. Then save your money until you can get a better sub.

Wow! Awesome deal! If OP has a Fry's in his area, I would still recommend the Infinity P363's for the same price. They're at least worth a listen. See if maybe he can find someplace local that has the Polk 65T's to compare. Chances are the 65T uses the same drivers and the whole "5T" line is just an aesthetic update.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page