Basic Streaming Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-14-2012, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not counting the source, what are some suggestions, for a basic playback system od streaming Internet music,( Pandora, Jazzradio.com... Etc). Budget <$1000. Small square room, source will be bluetooth stream from iPad or iPhone. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-15-2012, 04:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

no suggestions as far as speakers/electronics, however, use airplay instead of bluetooth...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #3 of 9 Old 11-15-2012, 04:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab4o View Post

Not counting the source, what are some suggestions, for a basic playback system od streaming Internet music,( Pandora, Jazzradio.com... Etc). Budget <$1000. Small square room, source will be bluetooth stream from iPad or iPhone. Thanks in advance.

Bluetooth is a family of protocols whose sound quality runs from horrid to possibly acceptable. So nobody with a brain is going to guarantee you good sound from system based on Bluetooth unless you are able to tightly control the protocol (formally called a profile) that is actually used at all times.

Other than that, audio is audio. Sound quality is mostly dependent on speakers and rooms, and can absorb a lot of time and money depending on your personal goals for sound quality.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-15-2012, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^
no suggestions as far as speakers/electronics, however, use airplay instead of bluetooth...

Agreed on using airplay. Airplay will stream CD-quality audio, and since you have apple devices already, it's built in. If you have wireless internet already, the Yamaha V473 and Denon AVR-1613 have airplay built in for ~400. I'm partial to the Yamaha, but both are good. If you don't have wireless, I'd get an Airport Express ($100) which has airplay built in and direct audio out. This allows you to get a less expensive receiver since the Airport Express can output audio over optical and RCA. Either way, spend as much of your budget as you can on speakers.

This is all assuming you want a component-style system, of course. If you want a smaller footprint, there are a lot of airplay enabled all-in-one sound docks in the $400 range, but I don't know much about them. Even if you find a good one, it won't have any room for upgrades down the line - I'd avoid them unless space is at a huge premium.

post #5 of 9 Old 11-15-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

just to throw something out there...

a pair of sierra-1's...

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRM1/srm1.html

an apple tv... airport expresses used to be a cheaper option for just music, but they cost the same as an atv now, and if you already have a wi-fi network, the atv is a "better buy" because it gives you options for the future...

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/apple_tv

and a craigslist avr of your choice...

that wouldn't be the worst setup in the world... smile.gif i had sierra-1's, they are very nice speakers for the price... the atv is an effective device... and you should be able to pick up an avr off of craigslist (or a yard sale) for 50 bucks...

edit: alternatively, if you go for an airport express, you can likely find a 2 channel amp for cheap to run the speakers...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #6 of 9 Old 11-15-2012, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

a pair of sierra-1's...
an apple tv... airport expresses used to be a cheaper option for just music, but they cost the same as an atv now, and if you already have a wi-fi network, the atv is a "better buy" because it gives you options for the future...
that wouldn't be the worst setup in the world... smile.gif i had sierra-1's, they are very nice speakers for the price... the atv is an effective device... and you should be able to pick up an avr off of craigslist (or a yard sale) for 50 bucks...
edit: alternatively, if you go for an airport express, you can likely find a 2 channel amp for cheap to run the speakers...

AppleTV is another good option, especially if the OP wants to use the system for any video applications. I only left it out because once you add an HDMI capable receiver, it's not much cheaper than a new AVR with airplay built in. As you mentioned, the Airport Express's analog outputs and lack of a display requirement gives you a much wider selection of cheap, good quality receivers, and that leaves a lot more money left over for speakers.

post #7 of 9 Old 11-15-2012, 09:45 AM

I will add to the above and recommend against bluetooth.

As far as audio 'streaming' you have a few options: USB, firewire, ethernet (wired or wireless), bluetooth, HDMI (rare).

Personally, I like ethernet in the form of squeezebox server. If I were you, I would try to snag a Logitech Touch before they are gone. With that device you can 'stream' via ethernet wired or wireless. I use the term 'stream' in quotes, because technically, ethernet is not streaming. Its better than that. Its bit perfect, packets of data, and the most reliable and advanced method for getting data from point to point IMO. Its two way communication from source to client with handshaking and data verification. Very mature technology. It also is best in terms of induced 'jitter'.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-15-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD NC View Post

Quote:

a pair of sierra-1's...

AppleTV is another good option, especially if the OP wants to use the system for any video applications. I only left it out because once you add an HDMI capable receiver, it's not much cheaper than a new AVR with airplay built in. As you mentioned, the Airport Express's analog outputs and lack of a display requirement gives you a much wider selection of cheap, good quality receivers, and that leaves a lot more money left over for speakers.

yea true, i was thinking of just using the spdif output from the atv to a cheap avr and ignoring the hdmi... you make a good point there though, he'd need to drag over a display for setup...

i think we are both on the same page though... smile.gif whatever the op does, i'd spend as little as possible on the electronics... a used 50 dollar avr/integrated... 100 bucks for apple device of choice and 850 bucks worth of speakers is what i'd aim for...

- chris

post #9 of 9 Old 11-15-2012, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the great ideas, got me really thinking. I like the airport express or atv, or even possibly the air play receiver. My normal audio system vintage Yamaha separates klipschorns I do all of my critical listening with. I have not seen or heard the Sierra speakers.
I will try to find some place close if possible. Looking at a psb sub sat or possibly,nht or klipsch, although the newer klipsch are kind of disappointing compared to the vintage ones I have. Of course I am not investing that king of money, in this due to the Internet being the source.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page