2 Channel Setup for Mostly Music - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 11-18-2012, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, guys, I've been searching this site for weeks now trying to decide on equipment and I still have yet to do so. It seems like most threads end up with guys recommending killer deals that have expired by the time I stumble upon the thread.

So, here's my situation guys. I'm just wanting to build a simply entry "hi-fi" setup in my bedroom just to get a general idea of what I like.

As of now, I have a Crown XLS1000 amp (pretty large amount of power) with an Aphex 124a as a "preamp" of sorts, with the source being my PS3.

I'll be using it mainly for music but would like it to sound good with movies as well.

I would like to keep things under $300 for a couple floor standing speakers just for this first time around. (Knowing me, they'll last about a week or two before I upgrade lol)

So far I've looked into the Polk M50s and M60s on ebay and newegg. Both places have them for solid prices.
I have also found a couple of Mission MV-6s on ebay for about $250 after shipping.
I have also been looking into the Fluance SXHTBFR-BK floors for about $290.
Also on my list were Boston Acoustics CS260s which can be had on ebay for about $260 for the set.
Fry's has the JBL ES80s for about $288 for the set shipped.
and The Pioneer FS52s also look pretty appealing for the money.

So, which of these would you choose?

or if none of the above, what would you choose for the price?

Oh, and yes I will be adding a subwoofer at some point and I have looked into the idea of bookshelf speakers to save cash; but by the time I buy the stands, I feel like I will have spent just as much and I also feel I can hide the wiring much better with towers.

Cliffs: Best floorstanding speakers I can get for $300 shipped per pair, cheaper is better as well biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 11-19-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Of the ones you listed, I consider the Boston Acoustics speakers the best-sounding.

The Pioneers are unacceptable because they have very low sensitivity and most amplifiers will not have adequate power to drive them to room-filling volume levels without distorting too much.

The Crown amplifiers are public-address amplifiers that put out rather high levels of distortion and background noise.

They are not generally considered acceptable for any system that has any hope of putting out decent-sounding music.

For an amplifier, I suggest that you look for a used NAD or Cambridge Audio integrated amplifier.
post #3 of 34 Old 11-19-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 393
The Pioneer are good and will do fine - and they are not wimpy. They are good
for music and home theater - and I have played them in a 20 X 30 open room,
and thay did good and can hold their composure >> just keep them, and a lot
of other speakers as well, below extreme head-banging levels.

The Boston speakers are also a good option - you can get a refurbish pair for
under $200 at AC4L.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/BOSCS260IIB/BOSTON-ACOUSTICS-CS260II-2-way-Floor-Standing-Speaker-Each-Black/1.html

The Crown amps are nice, and you can use them.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #4 of 34 Old 11-19-2012, 04:21 PM

Liked: 11
If I had a speaker budget of $300 I would get used. Craigslist and audio "for sale" forums can be a great tool.

I bought my Klipsch Heresy II Signature Editions for $300 from a forum posting.

you have to be trusted by the people that you lie to....
post #5 of 34 Old 11-19-2012, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Of the ones you listed, I consider the Boston Acoustics speakers the best-sounding.
The Pioneers are unacceptable because they have very low sensitivity and most amplifiers will not have adequate power to drive them to room-filling volume levels without distorting too much.
The Crown amplifiers are public-address amplifiers that put out rather high levels of distortion and background noise.
They are not generally considered acceptable for any system that has any hope of putting out decent-sounding music.
For an amplifier, I suggest that you look for a used NAD or Cambridge Audio integrated amplifier.

Thanks man.
I'll look into some other amps then at some point. I already have the Crown, though so I'll just see what she does for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

The Pioneer are good and will do fine - and they are not wimpy. They are good
for music and home theater - and I have played them in a 20 X 30 open room,
and thay did good and can hold their composure >> just keep them, and a lot
of other speakers as well, below extreme head-banging levels.
The Boston speakers are also a good option - you can get a refurbish pair for
under $200 at AC4L.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/BOSCS260IIB/BOSTON-ACOUSTICS-CS260II-2-way-Floor-Standing-Speaker-Each-Black/1.html
The Crown amps are nice, and you can use them.
Wow, thats a sick price on those BA's.
Thanks man
BTW, how would those BAs stack up to the Polk M60s? I can get them both for about the same price and I may get both one set for my room and put the other set in my dad's den.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cytowing View Post

If I had a speaker budget of $300 I would get used. Craigslist and audio "for sale" forums can be a great tool.
I bought my Klipsch Heresy II Signature Editions for $300 from a forum posting.

Used equipment around me is pathetic. Truly pathetic.
post #6 of 34 Old 11-19-2012, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

the typical audiophile BS - do not heed.
post #7 of 34 Old 11-19-2012, 06:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Moore View Post

BTW, how would those BAs stack up to the Polk M60s? I can get them both for about the same price and I may get both one set for my room and put the other set in my dad's den.

For me, the Boston CS speakers are on a higher level performace wise.
The good sound that can come from good speakers, can out-shine the
dread/fear, of refurbish or used.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #8 of 34 Old 11-19-2012, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Hi new avs member. Welcome to the site. I hope that you enjoy your stay here. what kind of music will you be listening to? for rap music only using something like a crown I would suggest cerwin vega ve12 or ve15. I hear that the bic 15 inch woofers sound good for rap also. newegg does have good deals on polk stuff every now and then. I prefer the old polk speakers compared to the new ones. I like the old polk speakers with 12 or 15 inch woofers in them. The new polk audio speakers that I heard at best buy sounded good at low volumes, but I didn't like them at high volumes. People say that they keep blowing the tweeter on jbl north series. jbl can sound okay, but sometimes the treble sounds to high pitched amd bright to me.
post #9 of 34 Old 11-19-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

nothing wrong with old speakers. some of them sound pretty good. my 35 dollar sansui speakers from salvation army that go for up to 300 dollars on ebay sound pretty good.
post #10 of 34 Old 11-19-2012, 06:42 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Moore View Post

Once you plug it in, isn't it used then rolleyes.gif

you have to be trusted by the people that you lie to....
post #11 of 34 Old 11-19-2012, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat View Post

Hi new avs member. Welcome to the site. I hope that you enjoy your stay here. what kind of music will you be listening to? for rap music only using something like a crown I would suggest cerwin vega ve12 or ve15. I hear that the bic 15 inch woofers sound good for rap also. newegg does have good deals on polk stuff every now and then. I prefer the old polk speakers compared to the new ones. I like the old polk speakers with 12 or 15 inch woofers in them. The new polk audio speakers that I heard at best buy sounded good at low volumes, but I didn't like them at high volumes. People say that they keep blowing the tweeter on jbl north series. jbl can sound okay, but sometimes the treble sounds to high pitched amd bright to me.

I listen to everything from rap to rock to jazz....pretty much whatever I come across.

Right now I have a couple old cheap Technics with 15" woofers in them that I put in simply to have something to hook my amp up to when it got here. They don't really sound good, though I do like the output in the lows. My main issue with them is that they take up too much space and just plain don't look that nice in the space I have allotted for my TV stand and speakers.

I plan to design and build my own sub enclosure after I get a nice setup for about 80 hz and up. Might even add some bookshelf speakers to aid the towers.
post #12 of 34 Old 11-19-2012, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

For me, the Boston CS speakers are on a higher level performace wise.
The good sound that can come from good speakers, can out-shine the
dread/fear, of refurbish or used.

I'm not really afraid of used or refurbs given the price reflects the condition. One of my concerns between the Polks and BAs had to do with the front vs rear firing port. I have a pretty primitive understanding of it as of now (I'm more used to car audio) which is why I'm waiting to design my sub enclosure; but, I was a little concerned with the rear port possibly making for "muddy" bass since the speakers will be placed pretty close to the wall but I do like the idea that the rear port can help in the midrange.

Maybe I'll get the Polks and BAs for the price and let my dad have whichever I like least in my setup wink.gif
post #13 of 34 Old 11-19-2012, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cytowing View Post

Once you plug it in, isn't it used then rolleyes.gif

Touché rolleyes.gif
post #14 of 34 Old 11-19-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

there are some people on the site big into do it yourself sub enclosures and even speaker box building. I forget one of the main guys names who builds boxes for passive subs, but he gets on the forum a lot. I saw some 15 inch technics the other day at salvation army, but the dust cap was all messed up. from experimenting with subwoofers I found that I liked the way that bookshelf speakers sounded with a sub. the bigger floorstanding speakers tried to dominate the bass that my subwoofer was trying to put out. technics is still pretty popular for people buying it used. I always hear someone talking about buying some technics gear or selling it on craigslist. I haven't heard boston accoustics in years, but the ones that I heard I liked.
post #15 of 34 Old 11-19-2012, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

some polk audio bookshelf speakers are on sale if the link doesn't work it is page 35 of the ad. scroll down the page to see the speakers. https://deals.bestbuy.com/#!/tv+amp+home+theater
post #16 of 34 Old 11-19-2012, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

there are some people on the site big into do it yourself sub enclosures and even speaker box building. I forget one of the main guys names who builds boxes for passive subs, but he gets on the forum a lot. I saw some 15 inch technics the other day at salvation army, but the dust cap was all messed up. from experimenting with subwoofers I found that I liked the way that bookshelf speakers sounded with a sub. the bigger floorstanding speakers tried to dominate the bass that my subwoofer was trying to put out. technics is still pretty popular for people buying it used. I always hear someone talking about buying some technics gear or selling it on craigslist. I haven't heard boston accoustics in years, but the ones that I heard I liked.

Eventually, my goal is to have an HT setup comprised of all DIY towers and sub enclosures. Right now, I'm just toying with some ideas in my room and getting a feel for how the speakers interact with the space, which is why I'm just buying cheaper speakers....but still want them to be enjoyable.

Boston Acoustics has been one of my favorite brands ever since I've known about audio.
Lol
post #17 of 34 Old 11-19-2012, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

some polk audio bookshelf speakers are on sale if the link doesn't work it is page 35 of the ad. scroll down the page to see the speakers. https://deals.bestbuy.com/#!/tv+amp+home+theater

If I do polk BS's, I'll probably go RTI and up
post #18 of 34 Old 11-19-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

newegg had a deal for definitive technology bookshelf speakers for about $180.00 for the pair. they normally go for 500 a pair. I hear they sound good, but aren't the best.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882325059&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL111912&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL111912-_-EMC-111912-Index-_-HomeAudioSpeakers-_-82325059-L06A
post #19 of 34 Old 11-19-2012, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

since you have the crown amp if you want a powerful sub should you get a car sub in a big box you build for it? I have heard of people using car subs for movies. the crown should be able to handle the 4ohm of the car sub. Sometimes I feel like car subs have so much more bass then home audio subs. I used to have two phoenix gold 15 inch subs that replaced the woofers of my 15 inch pioneer home speakers. the phoenx gold subs before I blew them 8 months later slammed hard.
post #20 of 34 Old 11-19-2012, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

^^heck of a deal....hmmmmm....
post #21 of 34 Old 11-19-2012, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

I'm wanting to build the enclosure on the bottom of my TV stand, right now I'm leaning towards the Alpine Thin 12 maybe an SI BM..... But the plan is to downfire the sub with the port firing into the wall.

Those subs were chosen for their good SQ reviews and also thin profile that allows me to down fire with adequate space between the cone and loading surface.
post #22 of 34 Old 11-19-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

does best buy have the polk audio speaker series to hear and see if you like them?
post #23 of 34 Old 11-19-2012, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

They have the TSi series that compares to the Monitors but I have yet to find the RTis in BB.
post #24 of 34 Old 11-19-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I think that hh greg still sells polk audio. Maybe they have that series.
post #25 of 34 Old 11-19-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I found this on crutchfield. If you spend 500 on some polk stuff you get a free or discounted sub.
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Specials/Default.aspx?offerid=83053
post #26 of 34 Old 11-19-2012, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

At only $135 for the pair on eBay, I'm willing to give the RTI BS's a try without an audition.

Even the closest Best Buy is an hour and a half from me and its not even guaranteed that they will have the setup working...
post #27 of 34 Old 11-19-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

135 isn't bad. if thats what you want I guess for it.
post #28 of 34 Old 11-19-2012, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I almost bought the crown xls 1000 amp. How do you like it?
post #29 of 34 Old 11-19-2012, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

The Crown is solid for what I paid. Until my Aphex gets here, I can't get the full potential out of it; but, it pushes these Technics floor units hard enough to shake my bedroom up a good bit. I left it running all day on accident while I went to class then work and when I came home, it was slightly warm but the fan still hadn't kicked on just yet.

I'll be able to comment more on the SQ of it once I have some decent speakers in here, but I doubt it will disappoint.
post #30 of 34 Old 11-19-2012, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

your crown doesn't weigh a lot, but so many people online say that it makes speakers hit hard. the cerwin vega people like it and alto and nad amps. some old nad amps are pricey though on ebay. people that I knew who did sound for live rock band local shows used crown. jazz music rocks. do you have a dollar tree or deals store by you? if so look in the electronics section for the 3.5mm red and white chord that plugs into the back of the amp and into the headphone jack on computer. set it to aux. it maks the internet radio sites sound good. shoutcast is a good site for good jazz stations. grooveshark jango and addicted to radio is also cool.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page