Antimode dual core and existing DAC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-19-2012, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question is.......should I take my existing DAC (Audiolab Mdac) out of the loop or try to incorporate it?
Mdac instructions say to add DSP after it.
AM Dual Core says to add it before an existing DAC in order to bypass the DAC in the Dual Core and pass the corrected signal along by S/PDIF connection.
Advice/comments please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrbill View Post

Question is.......should I take my existing DAC (Audiolab Mdac) out of the loop or try to incorporate it?
Mdac instructions say to add DSP after it.

Those particular MDAC instructions appear to presume that your DSP lacks digital inputs so they don't really apply to your current situation.
Quote:
AM Dual Core says to add it before an existing DAC in order to bypass the DAC in the Dual Core and pass the corrected signal along by S/PDIF connection.
Advice/comments please?

That option can work.

The ground rules are that you want to keep your music in the digtial domain as close to the speakers as possible.

That rule would be followed equally well if you used your Dual Core all by itself, or if you drove your MDAC from one of the Dual Core's digital outputs.

In either case the Dual Core should, if possible be driven from the digital output that formally drove the MDAC.

It is improbable that the Dual Core's analog outputs have audible flaws, so the MDAC is excess baggage.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Hi Bill,

I would second everything that Arny said. But to expand on one point:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

The ground rules are that you want to keep your music in the digital domain as close to the speakers as possible.
If the Dual-Core is after the MDAC, then the digital audio would be converted to analog by the MDAC, converted back to digital by the Dual-Core, and then converted back to analog by the Dual-Core after processing. The MDAC performed a completely useless and redundant operation.

And unless the DAC of the MDAC is significantly better than the DAC in the Dual-Core (which I would doubt), it is also redundant when the Dual-Core is placed before the MDAC.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I knew it would be redundant to use the DAC's in both units.
I'll give the AM Dual Core a chance to prove itself although there are some functions of the Mdac I do like.
Thanks
See ya in the funny papers!
Old 03-21-2013, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrbill View Post

I knew it would be redundant to use the DAC's in both units.
I'll give the AM Dual Core a chance to prove itself although there are some functions of the Mdac I do like.
Thanks
See ya in the funny papers!

silvrbill, how did the dual core compare against the M-DAC? I am very interested in the M-DAC, but if the DAC in the Dual Core is pretty decent I don't see the point of getting the M-DAC.