Small home theatre. 2.0 to 2.1. Very small compact speakers. Price range sub $800 - AVS Forum
2-Channel Audio > Small home theatre. 2.0 to 2.1. Very small compact speakers. Price range sub $800
bowei006's Avatar bowei006 05:45 PM 11-19-2012
Hello, we are looking for a compact speaker system for our living room. Our living room is quite open and also has our kitchen and dinning room and stairs. Basically, the sound is going to bounce everywhere. These are for my parents. A few suggestions were made on Bose from them. They do make compact speakers and the sound is decent but for the price, I would rather get something else. Hell, you guys may even say that $800 for a compact set for people that don't have accurate ears in a room that has no sonic treatements may be a waste and is too high. I agree. I'd rather stay in the $500 zone. The AudioEngine 5+'s seem like a good choice for my parents. What do you guys think. They would preferablly also like a small sub. No receiver will be present. So just a verya ll in one compact and versatile package. Nothing bigger than the AudioEngine 5+ though.

bowei006's Avatar bowei006 09:33 PM 11-21-2012
bump
Knucklehead90's Avatar Knucklehead90 10:45 PM 11-21-2012
I've never heard the Emotiva Airmotiv's but they seem to get very good reviews. I own other Emotiva speakers and have found them to be a very good bargain.

With a ribbon tweeter the Airmotiv's should be better than the average small speaker. The 5" model is right in your budget at $399 shipped - and may need a sub since they play down to 52hz according to the specs. Quite decent for music and normal TV watching but not for movies with low freq effects. Normal price is $599 - their specials usually run to the end of the year. Connecting a sub would only be a matter of splitting the RCA cable from each speaker and route both to the sub in the L/R jacks. Since the Airmotiv's and most subs are self powered a receiver won't be needed.

The Airmotiv 6 plays down to 43hz and for music and tv would not need a sub - at $579 and not needing a sub may be something to look at. They won't give you home-shaking bass but no bookshelf speaker will.
glangford's Avatar glangford 04:25 AM 11-22-2012
The emotiva's seem very interesting. Emotiva's xref subs won't do however, as they only take a reciever's line level input. They have not settings for crossover, phase or volume. Their subs assume you have a reciever that is doing all that.

In that large a volume. I'd tend to go a little larger if you could. I might be inclined to give the airmotiv 6 a whirl. It gets down to 42 hz and for about all music but pipe organ would suffice. Add a sub later if desired. But I'd give it a shot without. With the large volume and being open to other rooms any small sub is going to struggle so maybe you just do without.

I also wouldn't rule out a reciever and conventional speaker, albiet small. We've had a few threads in this forum for people looking for a 2 or 2.1 on a budget. The nice thing about the reciever route is you can always add on easily and have audyssey or room correction to level everything out.

this thread was almost identical:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1433473/new-system

Polk RTi bookshelves, Paradigm Montior (which uses trickle down tech from the Studio line, Energy RC-10s, and there are other reasonable bookshelves on a budget.
arnyk's Avatar arnyk 07:05 AM 11-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

bump

That would be a consequence of defining your requirements so tightly that there isn't very much room to recommend in.
commsysman's Avatar commsysman 10:49 AM 11-22-2012
I suggest that you consider the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers, which Music Direct has for $349/pair. IMO you can't beat them for under $500.

Check out the review article on them at Stereophile.com.

When you say no receiver will be present, do you mean you want self-powered speakers, with an amplifier built in?? (that is what the Audioengine 5+ is)

That is not clear.
cel4145's Avatar cel4145 06:58 PM 11-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

I've never heard the Emotiva Airmotiv's but they seem to get very good reviews. I own other Emotiva speakers and have found them to be a very good bargain.
With a ribbon tweeter the Airmotiv's should be better than the average small speaker. The 5" model is right in your budget at $399 shipped - and may need a sub since they play down to 52hz according to the specs. Quite decent for music and normal TV watching but not for movies with low freq effects. Normal price is $599 - their specials usually run to the end of the year. Connecting a sub would only be a matter of splitting the RCA cable from each speaker and route both to the sub in the L/R jacks. Since the Airmotiv's and most subs are self powered a receiver won't be needed.
The Airmotiv 6 plays down to 43hz and for music and tv would not need a sub - at $579 and not needing a sub may be something to look at. They won't give you home-shaking bass but no bookshelf speaker will.

+1

I keep hearing good things about these, too, and the Airmotiv 6 sounds like a good choice for parents at that price smile.gif

Nice panda noob november avatar, Bowie wink.gif
glangford's Avatar glangford 03:23 AM 11-23-2012
The 6s are 220 off at 579 regular 799.
Up
Mobile  Desktop