Would dipole speakers make good 2 channel audio (for music and movies)? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-20-2012, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I remember reading good audio speakers will disperse sound where you can't tell which direction it's emanating from, and this works well for surround sound formats (e.g. rears and/or sides), as it makes the sound stage more realistic.

So, I haven't tried, but would a good pair of dipole speakers be suitable to use for listening to music?

I don't want to have more than a 2.1 system as i don't have the room.

A pair I'm interested in is either the Paradigm ADP 390s, or the 590s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-21-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Get a decent pair of bookshelf speakers. Something like the NHT Classic two or threes will sound better go lower and throw out a soundstage much better than any dipole speaker. If dipoles were great at 2.0/2.1 we'd all be using them.

There are a lot of very good bookshelf speakers for under $1k. Here is a good place to start.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 5 Old 11-21-2012, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestInTheWorld View Post

I remember reading good audio speakers will disperse sound where you can't tell which direction it's emanating from, and this works well for surround sound formats (e.g. rears and/or sides), as it makes the sound stage more realistic.
So, I haven't tried, but would a good pair of dipole speakers be suitable to use for listening to music?

do the dipoles form a wall or do they project a line of audio out?

the better dipoles have each driver different in phase to match where they are supposed to be on the wall (or near it).
the reflections from the wall working with the speaker to form an accumulated gather, plus the phase from the speaker facing the wall = a flatter response (whatever they picked when designing the speaker)

some of those speakers arent directional at all.
listening to 2 channel music might be wide and full.. but the 3d soundstage probably isnt moving at all.

i would disconnect each speaker per side in the box and hook 'em up to the receiver seperate.
that way i could use the time alignment from the reflection speaker and the wall .. first trying the real distance, maybe half of that, or maybe twice that could get the room to ring a more relaxing way.

in the end,
some of those dipole speakers can cast a perfect 3d soundstage because the woofers are designed to (and the rest of what was needed to do has been fulfilled).

then yeah..
more cones = more bass (because more pressure)

as for 'throwing'
you get the air to start moving forward in the room .. the first thing you want to do is form
and when that soundwave starts to become an entire wall (because of the speaker design and calibration efforts)
then that entire wall starts pushing down the room.
go a bit further down a hallway and the wall gets layers of other soundwaves accumulated like glitter on a plate.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-22-2012, 06:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestInTheWorld View Post

Dipole speakers have their moments as surround speakers where you want to spray sound all around an area of the room where your ears aren't very critical anyway.

As mains they do a nice job of making speaker placement even more difficult, and room acoustics even more problematical.

The opposite of dipoles are probably speakers with unidirectional controlled dispersion. They tend to have the opposite effect, if you catch my drift.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-22-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Dipole speakers have some applications, where their acoustic properties will work, but they are NOT a good choice for General use.

IMO the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers are excellent speakers; one of the best for less than $500. Music Direct is selling them for $349/pair.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page