Connecting ipod to TV w/ RCA cables - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-22-2012, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is probably the wrong forum, and maybe even the wrong site for such a simple matter. If this post has a more aplicable forum, please telm me which one.

I have a Sony 55XBR8. It has several Video/audio in RCA jacks. When I plug my ipod nano (Y cable from headphone jack to red and white (right and left) audio RCA plugs) into the red/white of one of these A/V In areas, the TV does not recognize that anything's plugged in (use "Input" menu to choose the source, and the Video1, or Video 2, where I plugged in my ipod audio, is grayed out, unchoosable).

HOWEVER, if I take the yellow (video) plug from some other piece of equipment and plug it into the yellow port, THEN the TV recognizes it, and when I choose that input I can hear the audio from the iPod.

Strangely, if I UNplug the yellow WHILE a song is playing, I'll continue to hear the song, but when the song ends and I choose another using the ipod, I'm back in the same boat and need to plug some (any) yellow cable back into the yellow port.

So, it would seem that to get JUST audio into this TV from an audio only source using RCA jacks, I need to plug some yellow (video) RCA cable in as well. I have made sure I'm using IN ports, not OUT ports.

Has anyone heard of this? Does this make sense? Is this how these things are supposed to work?

Thanks for any help on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 67
That's just how it works, accept it.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
The reason is that the video input is looking for a sync signal to unmute the channel. It does that to keep a noise free output (audio and video) from appearing in the sound and on the screen. Essentiallythe same reason older VCRs went to a solid blue screen. The concept is just to give you a clean glitch free AV output. It is not a necessity, but rather a nicety. Most projectors etc do the same. They mute the RGB signalsuntil the projectors senses a both horizontal and vertical; sync signals. Is waits to be sure the signal is strong and not intermittent and then unmutes the RGB. Your AVR does it as well with the audio.