Preamp for Pro Audio amp for home - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 99 Old 01-08-2013, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any response if DEQ can be connected to aux in of 372 ?

Hi Arny,

Regarding your earlier data
Quote:
Here's the max undistorted spl numbers for each Dyunaudio Contour 1.8 mkII:

F,Hz Max SPL, DB

10 82
20 94
30 101
40 106
50 110
60 113
70 116
80 118
90 120
100 122
130 126

Is this assuming they have 2x Esotar 6.7 inch drivers or these are actual measurements of the speaker ?
(I have asked this to Dynaudio and they have not responded yet)

And if of the speaker, aren't these good numbers esp if the music used doesn't have content at 20 and 30Hz , making sub not so much required ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 99 Old 01-09-2013, 04:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 1049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifisound View Post

Any response if DEQ can be connected to aux in of 372 ?

Of course it can. I'm trying hard not to do your thinking for you! ;-)
Quote:
Regarding your earlier data
Quote:
Here's the max undistorted spl numbers for each Dyunaudio Contour 1.8 mkII:

F,Hz Max SPL, DB

10 82
20 94
30 101
40 106
50 110
60 113
70 116
80 118
90 120
100 122
130 126

Is this assuming they have 2x Esotar 6.7 inch drivers

The model was run for one speaker system, whatever its configuration actually is.

Doubling the number of drivers adds 3 dB to the SPL. But, the numbers represent what we expect 1 meter from the speaker and most of the time you will be further away.
Quote:
or these are actual measurements of the speaker ?
(I have asked this to Dynaudio and they have not responded yet)

No, it is the result of running a highly optimistic computer model that was developed by a well-known speaker authority named Sigfried Linkwitz, and confirmed by other references.
Quote:
And if of the speaker, aren't these good numbers esp if the music used doesn't have content at 20 and 30Hz , making sub not so much required ?

It is all about sound quality. A speaker that can't operate over the normal audible range is like a car that can't drive up roads with normal but steeper grades.

Doesn't seem like high end audio to me, but suit yourself.
post #93 of 99 Old 01-09-2013, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

So for a full range speaker it should be 100+ DB from 20 Hz onwards ?
Also does this model's output indicate that sub can be crossed over at around 30 or 40Hz or one needs to measure the SPL from listening position and then decide the crossover freq ?

post #94 of 99 Old 01-09-2013, 06:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 1049
Quote:

So for a full range speaker it should be 100+ DB from 20 Hz onwards ?

Because of the reduced sensitivity of the human ear at low frequencies, probably more like 110 dB SPL @ 20 Hz.

There are arguments for reduced-quality systems to have bass extension down to only 40 or 30 Hz, but 20 Hz is required for true sonic sufficiency. Response down to 10 Hz @ 120 dB SPL @ 10% THD would be characteristic of a truly luxurious but still practical system.
Quote:
Also does this model's output indicate that sub can be crossed over at around 30 or 40 Hz or one needs to measure the SPL from listening position and then decide the crossover freq ?

In general speakers with reduced-capacity woofers (e.g., the built-in woofer is appreciably smaller than 12" or 30 cm or the equivalent in multiple smaller drivers), then using the highest possible crossover consistent with good bass imaging is always recommended. For example my optimistic model shows undistorted SPL dropping below 120 dB @ 90 Hz and 110 dB @ 50 Hz. 80 Hz seems like a pretty fair compromise. I wouldn't try much below 60 Hz.

Again the computer model is approximate. Positioning speakers in or near corners can increase the amount of undistorted bass available at low frequencies but there may be other unattractive costs associated with doing that. I can't see everything and try everything from thousands of miles away while sitting at my computer keyboard. You are there!

My goal was to construct an argument for a robust, clean-sounding system which necessitated a good subwoofer.
post #95 of 99 Old 01-09-2013, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
My goal was to construct an argument for a robust, clean-sounding system which necessitated a good subwoofer.

My intent too was just to understand it better smile.gif. Thanks for all the details.

post #96 of 99 Old 02-23-2013, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Guess I somehow missed this product earlier :

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/umc200

Though pricey, it has everything for now and future in including EmoQ and manual EQ ( they say 11 eq per channel which I hope means 11 band)
Since now I have a oppo aand htpc moved in same setup, will get hdmi switching and future ability to move to multi-channel.
Even if the EmoQ doesn't work well, one can feed data from say REW into manual EQ isn't it ?

Anybody using this, esp for room correction ?

post #97 of 99 Old 02-27-2013, 11:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

Guess I somehow missed this product earlier :

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/umc200

Though pricey, it has everything for now and future in including EmoQ and manual EQ ( they say 11 eq per channel which I hope means 11 band)
Since now I have a oppo aand htpc moved in same setup, will get hdmi switching and future ability to move to multi-channel.
Even if the EmoQ doesn't work well, one can feed data from say REW into manual EQ isn't it ?

Anybody using this, esp for room correction ?

The UMC-200 is turning out to be quite a seller for Emotiva. You have to get on a pre-order queue. All of their shipments through March are already spoken for. Only thing holding me back is I'm waiting for some new products from Emotiva that are half-rack sized in width. I already have a setup for my main room but want something strictly 2-channel for my computer room with powered monitor speakers. Emotiva's current lineup of DACs don't have analog inputs but there is one on the horizon. I was considering UMC-200 as well since all of my computers have HDMI. I was thinking I could use the UMC-200 both as an audio-delivery device and a HDMI switcher.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #98 of 99 Old 02-28-2013, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

I wonder if they can drop the 7.1 channel analog in (though keep 1 or 2 stereo pair inputs) and come out with a half rack variant of UMC-200.
But would prefer to have usual rotary volume control smile.gif

post #99 of 99 Old 03-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

I wonder if they can drop the 7.1 channel analog in (though keep 1 or 2 stereo pair inputs) and come out with a half rack variant of UMC-200.
But would prefer to have usual rotary volume control smile.gif

That would be a tall order unless they stack some of the inputs/outputs on a daughterboard. There is a thread on the Emotiva Forums in the Amplifier sub-forum with mock-ups of an Executive System but it looks like a smaller version/combination of an XDA-2 and DAC-1 and isn't 7.1 like the UMC-200. UMC-500 will have balanced outputs and a volume dial but it is also a 2U full-rack unit.

A volume dial is of little use to me. I have a volume dial and device selection on my Denon receiver and I can count the number of times I've actually used it on one hand in the 4 years I've owned the receiver. So much easier to just plop myself in a recliner and do it from the remote. The knobs on the Denon are just there to collect dust, it seems.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page