Need a little help building a 2.1 computer setup with powered speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-26-2012, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to upgrade audio system on my computer to something better then the logitech z-2300 that I have had for years. The budget I have for speakers is $250-$400 and I'm unsure about the budget of a sub but I was thinking a few hundred. My room is about 12 x 11 x 7.5 in size and I will need speakers that sound good sitting up close, as well as from a ways away when I'm sitting on the couch in the back of the room watching a movie on the TV hooked up to my computer. My would use these speakers for 60% movies, 30% games and 10% music. I have been looking around for speakers within my price range and I was looking at the audioengine a5 or a5+ but I am not set on them if there is something that would be better.. For a sub, I use the HSU VTF-15h sub for my 5.1 HT setup and I absolutely loved the quality of the stuff for hsu.. The subs I have been looking at were the hsu stf-1 or stf-2 as well as a couple subs from BIC like the F12 or the pl-200.

The last thing that I need help with is how I would hook everything up together. I don't have a dedicated sound card in my computer but I do have a spdif port as well as usb ports on my mobo that I was hoping to use to hook everything if possible. I also have a Fiio E9K and E17 that I use as an amp/DAC that I wish to have hooked up with this setup but I'm confused how I would go about doing this or whether it is even possible.

Thank you for the help and I have I provided enough info for people to try and give me some advice, let me know if you need me to answer any additional questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-26-2012, 11:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Audioengine 5+

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/audioengine-A5plus-tech#.ULRt34Ycc8c

Emotiva Pro AirMotiv 5

http://emotivapro.com/products/powered_monitors/airmotiv5.php

Both are around $400 MSRP.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #3 of 6 Old 11-27-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 1134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos101 View Post

I am looking to upgrade audio system on my computer to something better then the logitech z-2300 that I have had for years. The budget I have for speakers is $250-$400 and I'm unsure about the budget of a sub but I was thinking a few hundred. My room is about 12 x 11 x 7.5 in size and I will need speakers that sound good sitting up close, as well as from a ways away when I'm sitting on the couch in the back of the room watching a movie on the TV hooked up to my computer. My would use these speakers for 60% movies, 30% games and 10% music. I have been looking around for speakers within my price range and I was looking at the audioengine a5 or a5+ but I am not set on them if there is something that would be better.. For a sub, I use the HSU VTF-15h sub for my 5.1 HT setup and I absolutely loved the quality of the stuff for hsu.. The subs I have been looking at were the hsu stf-1 or stf-2 as well as a couple subs from BIC like the F12 or the pl-200.

The last thing that I need help with is how I would hook everything up together. I don't have a dedicated sound card in my computer but I do have a spdif port as well as usb ports on my mobo that I was hoping to use to hook everything if possible. I also have a Fiio E9K and E17 that I use as an amp/DAC that I wish to have hooked up with this setup but I'm confused how I would go about doing this or whether it is even possible.

Thank you for the help and I have I provided enough info for people to try and give me some advice, let me know if you need me to answer any additional questions.

They are relatively big for computer speakers but they sound good in either the near field or from a normal listening distance:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/B2031A.aspx

They are roughly 15 x 10 x 11 and weigh 33 pounds each. The woofer is 8 1/2" larger than many so-called subwoofers.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-27-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I have the Audioengine 2 speakers, and I think they sound better than the 5.

I use them at my computer, and use a 12" cheap Sony sub I got for around $100. It is good for the limited volume levels I use, but it is probably not adequate for your situation.

I suggest that you get the Audioengine 2 speakers and the Polk PSW505 subwoofer, which is much much better and only $189 now from Amazon.

The Audioengine 2 comes with a cord to connect them to the 3.5 mm audio output jack of any computer, and the sub just connects to the extra jack on the left speaker.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-27-2012, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

I will have to check out a music store to listen to those behringer monitors. Why do you think that the audioengine 2 sound better than the 5's?
post #6 of 6 Old 11-27-2012, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Looking at the size of the behringer's, I'm doubting that I will have the room needed for those monitors so I will likely have to find a different speaker.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page