2.0 System - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-27-2012, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I am looking into adding a audio package to my home theatre system which consist of:
Sony XBR-65hx929
Sony PS3 hooked up HDMI
Rogers PVR hooked up HDMI

My thoughts were running a Optical output from the TV to a Marantz MM7025 powering 2 PSB Imagine T's.

Please provide your thoughts. I am mostly interested in 2.0 or 2.1 and I can always add a powered subwoofer in the future through a optical output from the MM7025.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-28-2012, 02:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 47
The marantz you list is just a power amplifier, no optical input. You also need a preamp. If you recently bought this, I'd suggest you return it and get something that is a full integrated solution. I'd recommend an AVR, which if/when you add a sub will be easily calibrated and blended to your mains. Then I'd also recommend using hdmi connections to the AVR.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-28-2012, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

I have not purchased yet. I am nervous about running the hdmi through the receiver as I am concerned about picture quality most then sound.
What are your thoughts on this? Are there any downsides to using an optical out from the tv rather then going through the receiver first?
Thanks
post #4 of 9 Old 11-28-2012, 11:32 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkelv View Post

I have not purchased yet. I am nervous about running the hdmi through the receiver as I am concerned about picture quality most then sound.

Both the picture and sound on a HDMI cable are digital, so in general their quality is assured.
Quote:
Are there any downsides to using an optical out from the TV rather then going through the receiver first?

You run the risk of loosing some or all support for various surround formats by going to the digital out of the TV.

Many TVs only pass-through stereo. Some let you also pass-through Dolby digital 5.1. Any of the more recent surround sound formats are often lost in the TV set. Of course it depends on the TV. My Mitsubishi for example only puts out 2-channel stereo.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-29-2012, 02:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Arnyk is right. My LG only puts out 2 channel stereo pcm from digital. You'll suffer no quality loss in picture going through an avr. Early in bluray and hdmi some recievers did have a minor effect on signal, Denon was particularly good at not doing this. But now I never hear about it from any of them. If you put a 1080p signal into it, they will leave it alone. (There is usually an option to select pass through).
post #6 of 9 Old 11-29-2012, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
This IS the 2 channel forum, right?

Does your TV have analog audio outputs?

If it does, you might want to consider an integrated amplifier like the Music Hall A15.2, which is excellent and only $499.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-30-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

I was by a store last night and discussed my situation. It was strongly recommended I run a optical out from tv to a DAC to a stereo amplifier to the speakers. I tested auditioned this setup with a pair of PSB Imagine bookshelf's and it did sound very nice, however could e complimented with a subwoofer.
I was informed another option would be: optical out from tv to dac to active monitors. - This sounded interesting to me.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-30-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkelv View Post

I was by a store last night and discussed my situation. It was strongly recommended I run a optical out from tv to a DAC to a stereo amplifier to the speakers. I tested auditioned this setup with a pair of PSB Imagine bookshelf's and it did sound very nice, however could e complimented with a subwoofer.
I was informed another option would be: optical out from tv to dac to active monitors. - This sounded interesting to me.

Here's a logical approach:

Running your audio system off of the optical out of the TV makes sense if:

(1) The TV is your only source (no other HDMI source such as cable box or blu ray)

(2) You only want to run a 2 channel audio system.

It doesn't make sense if you have other sources particularly a blu ray player and you want to get into the latest multichannel formats.

The optical out of anything has the benfit of maximizing the electrical isolation between your video world and your audio world, which can be a very good thing. For openers, it eliminates your antenna or cable sytstem as a potential cause of a hummy ground loop.

If you are going to run your audio system via an optical input, the most flexible kind of amplifier that gives you the most options for expansion and networking, as well as your best price-performer is going to be an AVR. You won't need an external DAC. You are optimally positioned if you want to add a sub or a center channel speaker down the road, and you have the most connectivity options. You will likely as not get an automated system optimization feature such as Audyssey which is pretty much unobtainium in the world of 2 channels. There are no sound quality sacrifices, only plusses.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-30-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

+1 on the avr. I run the cable box optical to the tv for those rare occasions I use the audio for tv shows. . Bluray uses hdmi and sometimes analog depending upon type of disc.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page