Turntable recording to a desktop - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > 2-Channel Audio > Turntable recording to a desktop

2-Channel Audio

ss3740's Avatar ss3740
03:55 PM Liked: 13
post #1 of 12
12-10-2012 | Posts: 92
I have a B&O Beogram TX Turntable and several hundred vinyl LP's.. I would like to put some of theses on a flash drive or disc so I can play it in my new Oppo 105. I am reading that I need a interface of some sort. Can someone point me in the right direction. My computor is a Dell Insprion 580s.
arnyk's Avatar arnyk
05:52 PM Liked: 1178
post #2 of 12
12-10-2012 | Posts: 14,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3740 View Post

I have a B&O Beogram TX Turntable and several hundred vinyl LP's.. I would like to put some of theses on a flash drive or disc so I can play it in my new Oppo 105. I am reading that I need a interface of some sort. Can someone point me in the right direction. My computor is a Dell Insprion 580s.

http://www.delback.co.uk/lp-cdr.htm
ss3740's Avatar ss3740
06:14 PM Liked: 13
post #3 of 12
12-10-2012 | Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Thanks Arnyk...Will this do it, or is it junk?
Behringer UPHONO UFO202 USB Audio Interface
arnyk's Avatar arnyk
05:27 AM Liked: 1178
post #4 of 12
12-11-2012 | Posts: 14,387
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks Arnyk...Will this do it, or is it junk?
Behringer UPHONO UFO202 USB Audio Interface

I don't have any experience with that particular device. But for the price, why not buy it and try it?
ss3740's Avatar ss3740
02:29 PM Liked: 13
post #5 of 12
12-11-2012 | Posts: 92
Quote:

I don't have any experience with that particular device. But for the price, why not buy it and try it?

OK. I 'm going to go ahead and get it. The reviews on Amazon are good, in fact very good. I just don't have much faith on reviews unless it comes from theses type of forums, if you know what I mean. We will see...Jeff
ap1's Avatar ap1
07:13 AM Liked: 19
post #6 of 12
12-13-2012 | Posts: 2,236
Quote:

Quote:

OK. I 'm going to go ahead and get it. The reviews on Amazon are good, in fact very good. I just don't have much faith on reviews unless it comes from theses type of forums, if you know what I mean. We will see...Jeff

For desktop you can get something like Asus Xonar STX sound card. Then use any audio processing software from expensive Adobe Auditio to free Audacity for racording and post-processing. Record and process in 24/96 mode.
ss3740's Avatar ss3740
03:32 PM Liked: 13
post #7 of 12
12-19-2012 | Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

For desktop you can get something like Asus Xonar STX sound card. Then use any audio processing software from expensive Adobe Auditio to free Audacity for racording and post-processing. Record and process in 24/96 mode.

So I won't need this Behringer UPHONO UFO202 USB Audio Interface ( or something like it), If I get a different soundcard ?

OK,,I'm a little confused. If I get this ( or comparable quality) soundcard,I can just hook my B&O up to it (on my Desktop) and with the use of Audacity software record to a flashdrive?Or will I need both?
arnyk's Avatar arnyk
03:50 PM Liked: 1178
post #8 of 12
12-19-2012 | Posts: 14,387
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think this advice considers the fact that a phono preamp seems to be needed.

The Asus STX is indeed a fine audio interface as far as it goes. It is a premium card running in the $180+

To work with a typical turntable it also needs a phono preamp.

It will probably provide any sound quality advantage over the

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UFO202-Audio-Interface/dp/B002GHBYZ0

If you want to move somewhat upscale and keep the same features consider this:

http://www.amazon.com/ART-USB-Phono-Plus/dp/B000BBGCCI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1355957351

ap1's Avatar ap1
04:02 PM Liked: 19
post #9 of 12
12-19-2012 | Posts: 2,236
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think this advice considers the fact that a phono preamp seems to be needed.

The Asus STX is indeed a fine audio interface as far as it goes. It is a premium card running in the $180+

To work with a typical turntable it also needs a phono preamp.

Since the OP already has TT, I assumed that he has phono preamp too. Otherwise he won't be able to listen records at all. Sonar STX is still cheaper than any comparable in quality USB interfaces, and probably priced lower than any other high quality cards.

When one records from vinyl, it is reasonable to use the best A/D converter as possible. That was the base of my suggestion. If you do some research, you will find that vinyl transcription is commonly done using much more expensive professional interfaces like Lynx. That Asus is as close to them as possible while staying within a reasonable price limit.
ss3740's Avatar ss3740
05:14 AM Liked: 13
post #10 of 12
12-20-2012 | Posts: 92
Quote:

Since the OP already has TT, I assumed that he has phono preamp too. Otherwise he won't be able to listen records at all. Sonar STX is still cheaper than any comparable in quality USB interfaces, and probably priced lower than any other high quality cards.
When one records from vinyl, it is reasonable to use the best A/D converter as possible. That was the base of my suggestion. If you do some research, you will find that vinyl transcription is commonly done using much more expensive professional interfaces like Lynx. That Asus is as close to them as possible while staying within a reasonable price limit.

Thanks guys for the advice. Your getting me there....The B&O was coming off of the 2 channel system that I just never seem to play anymore. Its a Hafler 500, Carver pre-amp set-up.I would like to take the turntable in the computer room and make a few disc/flash drive recordings. I just purchased a Oppo 105 that I would like to play theses recordings through. Its in a a 5.1 SR Marantz 7500 AV system. It also has a 2 channel multi room coming off it going out in the garage. .This system I DO play much of the time and its been decades since I've heard many of theses LP's....
arnyk's Avatar arnyk
05:39 AM Liked: 1178
post #11 of 12
12-20-2012 | Posts: 14,387
Quote:

Since the OP already has TT, I assumed that he has phono preamp too. Otherwise he won't be able to listen records at all.

That's probably all true, but for some reason he came here asking questions about an add-on for his computer that would record LPs without using a separate preamp
Quote:
Sonar STX is still cheaper than any comparable in quality USB interfaces, and probably priced lower than any other high quality cards.

That depends on how you judge quality. What you are really saying that as you judge quality, this is all true. My point is that there are a number of effective solutions that are more complete, better address the OP, and oh by the way cost only a fraction as much.
Quote:
When one records from vinyl, it is reasonable to use the best A/D converter as possible.

Again you are applying your values. Technically speaking the use of the best A/D converters possible is a complete and total overkill for digitizing vinyl because vinyl, as a legacy analog source, has only modest technical performance. For example have you ever digitized any of the great legacy or modern SOTA test LP's and analyzed the results to see what kind of technical performance is possible? I have digitized many of them and done my homework.

You may not be aware of the technical limitations of vinyl, but I've been digitizing it for over a decade and I'm acutely aware of them. Remember, I'm an EE who was an audiophile back in the days when vinyl was all we had. I have long used audio interfaces of the same or better quality as the Xonar STX.

For example I have long owned a LynxTwo (obtained shortly after introduction) and a LynxOne before that. Yes, I've digitized vinyl with a LynxTWO, and it gives great results, but the resulting transcriptions do not reflect the great performance of the LynxTWO. They reflect the modest performance of vinyl as a medium.

In fact the performance of audio interfaces has undergone considerable price/performance improvements. Today relatively reasonably priced hardware can fully exploit the performance of the LP as an audio medium.
Quote:
If you do some research, you will find that vinyl transcription is commonly done using much more expensive professional interfaces like Lynx.

Being lectured about my need to do research about Lynx professional audio interfaces is ironic bordering on surreal! ;-)

I was an early adopter of the LynxTWO (introduced in Y2K). I've been doing vinyl transcription with the best available computer audio interfaces for well over a decade.
citizen arcane's Avatar citizen arcane
05:16 PM Liked: 1034
post #12 of 12
12-20-2012 | Posts: 2,374
..........wow, arnyk , that link you posted for transferring LPs was a flashback - I probably saw this 10 or 11 years ago when I first started digitizing vinyl.

OP: This really can be as easy or as hard as you wish - meaning if you just record , split and remove extraneous material from your tracks then it's pretty straight forward.

Against others' advice I recommend a thorough cleaning then "wet playing" of the record; I found this to reduce surface noise and soften tics/ pops. Depending on your recording method you'll have either one long wav file or two shorter ones which you may want to split into individual tracks. An audio editor is required for this, you may already have one or can use the freeware Audacity (which I believe can be used as a recording medium as well); I started with CoolEdit 2K then purchased CoolEdit Pro and ClickFix which I still use. For me clicks have always been dealt with by hand (and ear), while I now use ClickRepair (fully functional 30 day evaluation) for light decrackling if I choose.

Using these steps can easily consume my afternoon so you can see this can become a labor of love when brought to this level.
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Subscribe to this Thread