Amplifier for Magnepan MMG - Australia - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 12-17-2012, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have decided to purchase a pair of MMG's based of the absolutely glowing reviews i have read of them while researching <$1000 speakers. I already have a Rega RP1 and the Ortofon OM5e that came with it. I also have a Cambridge Audio Azur 640p phono amp.
The only thing I am left to decide on is a speaker amplifier, preferably priced under $600, though a can stretch a little bit if absolutely necessary. I am leaning towards a simple power amp due to getting more for the cost than an integrated when i already have a pre-amp. I have done a heap of reading on the topic, and offerings from NAD are often mention, along with the Outlaw M2200's, but these are not available in Australia (well they are, but shipped at >$250). This has been the case with almost all the speakers amps mentioned in many discussions i have read. At the moment, I can get a Harman Kardon HK 3490 on amazon for $440 and possibly, possibly a pair of used M2200 from somebody on this forum for $400, but that depends if one of my dads old friends can bring them back from the US when he comes over, then i can go pick them up from my dads. Another option i found is the Precision Audio PA05K2, which i can get for $400, listed here: http://www.varietymusic.com.au/precision-audio-pa05k2-500-watt-rms-1400-watt-max.-power-amplifier.html?utm_source=myshopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Amplifiers+Receivers&utm_term=Precision+Audio+PA05K2+500+Watt+RMS+1400+Watt+max+Power+Ampli.

Integrated amplifier's will be considered, but it must have the same performance as a power amp with a similar price.

So I am stuck at the moment, i was not at all expecting the total lack of availability of so many amplifiers in Australia. Any help would be appreciated, and i know there are many threads on this topic (i've read them all tongue.gif) but i really need some extra input. smile.gif
Thank you all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-17-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
whatever you get make sure that it can handle 4 ohms. the only time I heard magnepan was with expensive mcintosh amp. I was going to suggest NAD since they can handle 4 ohms. I just bought a nad c326bee a few days ago. i hear that magnepans need a lot of watts and clean power to sound good, but most of those good amps are expensive like bryston etc. hopefully the harmon would work with it. magnepans frequencies dip real low so a lot of amps have trouble handling them. they are hard to drive speakers. they sounded good to me, but if you move around the room a little you lose that sweet spot and they sound off balance a little.
post #3 of 25 Old 12-17-2012, 06:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez Death View Post

I have decided to purchase a pair of MMG's based of the absolutely glowing reviews i have read of them while researching <$1000 speakers. I already have a Rega RP1 and the Ortofon OM5e that came with it. I also have a Cambridge Audio Azur 640p phono amp.
The only thing I am left to decide on is a speaker amplifier, preferably priced under $600, though a can stretch a little bit if absolutely necessary. I am leaning towards a simple power amp due to getting more for the cost than an integrated when i already have a pre-amp. I have done a heap of reading on the topic, and offerings from NAD are often mention, along with the Outlaw M2200's, but these are not available in Australia (well they are, but shipped at >$250). This has been the case with almost all the speakers amps mentioned in many discussions i have read. At the moment, I can get a Harman Kardon HK 3490 on amazon for $440 and possibly, possibly a pair of used M2200 from somebody on this forum for $400, but that depends if one of my dads old friends can bring them back from the US when he comes over, then i can go pick them up from my dads. Another option i found is the Precision Audio PA05K2, which i can get for $400, listed here: http://www.varietymusic.com.au/precision-audio-pa05k2-500-watt-rms-1400-watt-max.-power-amplifier.html?utm_source=myshopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Amplifiers+Receivers&utm_term=Precision+Audio+PA05K2+500+Watt+RMS+1400+Watt+max+Power+Ampli.

Megnepan is pretty cagey about not overtly giving power requirements or power ratings for the MMG. However, they document that 3 amp is the rating of its fuse.

If it is possible to blow the fuse without permanently damaging the speakers, then they have a rating of 36 watts continuous power. Their peak power rating is somewhere between 2 and 3 times that or 72 to 108 watts.

Seems like just about any typical modern AVR should have no problem driving them with music.
post #4 of 25 Old 12-17-2012, 07:59 PM

I have had the MMG's for many years - here in the US - modded them, massaged them, practically had sex with them (well not really - but almost). IMHO, feed them good CLEAN power, but also tons of it. I have the Emotiva XPA-2. 500wpc into 4 ohms. Seems 'about enough'. I have powered them with 50wpc 'high power' t-amps. Not bad, mind you. They do like lots of 'head room'. IMO, NAD would not fill the bill like an Emotiva. The Emotiva 'house sound' is more in line with the ultra revealing maggies pseudo ribbon. YMMV
post #5 of 25 Old 12-17-2012, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

So the XPA-2 seems the way to go, if i can get one... frown.gif I cant find them for sale anywhere other than Emotiva's website, which doesn't ship to Australia. Amazon (Emotiva) is out of stock at the moment, but that could be option, though again 90% of the time amazon doesn't ship to Aus... *sigh* I really dont think I can get an XPA-2 out here, which is unfortunate as it is one amp that is often mentioned as working well with the MMG's. Im leaning towards the Precision Audio amp right now, as it provide the most power and can be shipped to me for free (shipped to Australia??!!!! *gasp*), in addition to seemingly performing better than the harmon based on power output and only being a power amp (though correct me if im wrong about the cost/performance ratio of stand alone power amps being better than integrated's).
Thanks everyone for the input and advice, its been really useful. smile.gif
post #6 of 25 Old 12-18-2012, 05:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So the XPA-2 seems the way to go, if i can get one... :

Interesting case of someone who seems to hear what they want to hear (spend money! overkill! spend money! overkill! ) among a collection of voices saying different things.

Just to clarify things the XPA-2 is almost certainly overkill unless you think that having about twice enough power to permanently damage your speakers or at least blow fuses at will is a really good thing.

UPA-500s seem to be readily available:

http://shop.emotiva.com/products/upa500,

as are upa200s if all you want is 2 channels. For $100 less the Behringer A500 is another good 2-channel alternative.

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/upa200
post #7 of 25 Old 12-18-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 258
I suggest either the Harman-Kardon 980 or the Cambridge 651A. Those are readily available in Australia, but I have no idea of your local pricing.

Either of those should have the drive capability your speakers need.

The Musical Fidelity m3i is excellent, but a bit more expensive. avhub has a review of it you can read online.
post #8 of 25 Old 12-18-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:

So the XPA-2 seems the way to go, if i can get one... frown.gif I cant find them for sale anywhere other than Emotiva's website, which doesn't ship to Australia. Amazon (Emotiva) is out of stock at the moment, but that could be option, though again 90% of the time amazon doesn't ship to Aus... *sigh* I really dont think I can get an XPA-2 out here, which is unfortunate as it is one amp that is often mentioned as working well with the MMG's. Im leaning towards the Precision Audio amp right now, as it provide the most power and can be shipped to me for free (shipped to Australia??!!!! *gasp*), in addition to seemingly performing better than the harmon based on power output and only being a power amp (though correct me if im wrong about the cost/performance ratio of stand alone power amps being better than integrated's).
Thanks everyone for the input and advice, its been really useful. smile.gif

Try to find one used? I shipped my Perreaux to a guy in Africa! Talk about a round about sale.
post #9 of 25 Old 12-18-2012, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

@arnyk
Thanks for the new suggestions. Yeah i was just going off review with the xpa-2. The UPA-200 sounds great, good power output and quite cheap, alas cant get it into Australia easily. The A500 however, is shipped for free within Australia smile.gif which makes it an attractive option.
If I can convince my father to bring 14kg of amp back with him on the plane, which amp would be a better option in your opinion, the upa-200 or the A500?, because they seem very similar to me.

@commsysman
I looked at the 651a but it was a bit pricey for me, and i didnt really need an integrated. The 980 looks interesting, but again a bit over budget. Could this be an option however?, http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-HK-3490-Receiver/dp/B00198F89A
Yeah the fidelity is too much for me, though it could be a potential future upgrade.

Thanks for the help smile.gif
post #10 of 25 Old 12-18-2012, 03:57 PM

Hey Cortez,

Its a tough one as far as 'system synergy'. The MMG's tend to be super revealing. In a good way! Lots of tweeter real estate. IMO you need to watch out for 'bright' amps. Everything in front of the speakers needs to be 'well behaved'. Exciting sound is not what you want. Laid back is good. Thats why I like the Emotiva. There are others that fill the bill. Maybe class D? I wouldnt hesitate to go that route. I liked the t-amp with the maggies.
post #11 of 25 Old 12-18-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 1034
Although I was able to drive my MMGs with a Yamaha AVR and later a Yamaha integrated amp (both around 100 watts) to acceptable levels, it took moving a vintage 400 watt McIntosh into the room to fill my listening space. Being that they're not terribly efficient (86 dB/ 2.83v) MMGs demand quite a bit of power to make them perform to their potential. The suggestion for Pro amps - if they fit within your realm - would be the best bang for your buck if available locally.

Good luck in your decision.

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

post #12 of 25 Old 12-19-2012, 05:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwaxxer View Post

Hey Cortez,

Its a tough one as far as 'system synergy'. The MMG's tend to be super revealing. In a good way! Lots of tweeter real estate. IMO you need to watch out for 'bright' amps. Everything in front of the speakers needs to be 'well behaved'. Exciting sound is not what you want. Laid back is good. Thats why I like the Emotiva. There are others that fill the bill. Maybe class D? I wouldnt hesitate to go that route. I liked the t-amp with the maggies.

The irony being that on a technical basis, T-amps are generally pretty crude performers. Tripath itself has been out of business for years. Switchmode power amp technology continued to move on after they stopped developing chips. The fact that T-amps are still being made in apparently high volumes is a bit of a mystery. Either they made a ton of chips that are still being dribbled out of warehouses or people who licensed their technology are continuing to stamp the old parts out.

AFAIK TI are probably one of the best sources of up-to-date chips for building switchmode power amps.
post #13 of 25 Old 12-19-2012, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Considered the Mini-X a100, as long as you are looking at Emotiva?
MMG's aren't big monsters, that amp will deliver more than enough to never compress with them(80w @ 4ohm). It's 1/4 the size of a standard receiver/amplifier. Very cheap, and just as good of a performer as the rest of their line.
Got one for Christmas last year, and have tried it with many speakers, including the Magnepan MG1.5qr, and it worked phenomenally with most of them.

....and, if you are having someone bring it on a plane, fits in a small bag, no problem.

Just a thought, good luck in your hunt

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/a100

TV's ain't theaters buddy.

My junk collection.

post #14 of 25 Old 12-20-2012, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

I looked at the a100 and it seems like it would fit my purpose well, but i now have confirmation that nothing over 5kg can be brought back, due to weight restrictions on luggage. frown.gif I have however, found the Art SLA-1, which seems to get very good reviews. It has more than enough power to drive the MMG's, and can be shipped to me for $20. smile.gif
Would this be a good amp to get? http://www.videoguys.com.au/Shop/p/20529/art-sla-1-100-watt-studio-linear-amplifier-sla-1.html
I also have the option of the Behringer A500, but there are mixed opinions on that, some love it and some loathe it. http://www.kosmic.com.au/behringer-a500-stereo-reference-amplifier/
They are both similarly priced, would they be good for the MMG's?
Thanks everyone
post #15 of 25 Old 12-20-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I looked at the a100 and it seems like it would fit my purpose well, but i now have confirmation that nothing over 5kg can be brought back, due to weight restrictions on luggage. frown.gif I have however, found the Art SLA-1, which seems to get very good reviews. It has more than enough power to drive the MMG's, and can be shipped to me for $20. smile.gif
Would this be a good amp to get? http://www.videoguys.com.au/Shop/p/20529/art-sla-1-100-watt-studio-linear-amplifier-sla-1.html
I also have the option of the Behringer A500, but there are mixed opinions on that, some love it and some loathe it. http://www.kosmic.com.au/behringer-a500-stereo-reference-amplifier/
They are both similarly priced, would they be good for the MMG's?
Thanks everyone

I have a Behringer A500 and my view is that it is what it is. What it is, is a nice little 125 wpc/8 ohms power amp with lots of connectivity and a nifty and sometimes useful power display. Sounds great!
post #16 of 25 Old 12-23-2012, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

If you want a bit more headroom have a look at the Crown XLS1000, specs 350 watts into 4 ohms. It cost about the same as the A500 (I own both). I have the A500 hooked up to MMGs and sometimes it isn't enough. I have the Crown driving 1.6QRs (used to have the MMGs there) and it sounds great as well as having more overhead. I don't have a problem with either as far as sounding good goes. Both are being driven with Yamaha preamps which don't have an issue with the input levels required.
post #17 of 25 Old 12-23-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpenton View Post

If you want a bit more headroom have a look at the Crown XLS1000, specs 350 watts into 4 ohms. It cost about the same as the A500 (I own both). I have the A500 hooked up to MMGs and sometimes it isn't enough. I have the Crown driving 1.6QRs (used to have the MMGs there) and it sounds great as well as having more overhead. I don't have a problem with either as far as sounding good goes. Both are being driven with Yamaha preamps which don't have an issue with the input levels required.

I'd like to know where I can buy a Crown XLS1000 for the same price as a A500.

They are a more capable amplifier, but they generally cost about 50% more.
post #18 of 25 Old 12-24-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Bump for Arnyk, where can an XLS-1000 be purchased for under $300?
post #19 of 25 Old 12-24-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Bump for Arnyk, where can an XLS-1000 be purchased for under $300?

I'll bet money the answer is that A500s cost far more than $200 in Australia.

Checked eBay Australia and found that over there, the A500 is actually a few more bucks than an XLS 1000.
post #20 of 25 Old 12-25-2012, 03:36 AM
Advanced Member

A quick search shows the Crown runs $299 (US), I bought mine on sale a while back (years) and the price difference was about $30 which is close in my book but it appears that the A500 is currently available for significantly less a few places.
post #21 of 25 Old 12-25-2012, 05:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpenton View Post

A quick search shows the Crown runs $299 (US), I bought mine on sale a while back (years) and the price difference was about $30 which is close in my book but it appears that the A500 is currently available for significantly less a few places.

I think that for the extra money (U.S. market) the XLS1000 is the far better amp, if only because of its far greater power output.

In my tests the A500 is a 125 wpc 8 ohm amp. The XLS 1000 specs out at close to twice that. I've never had one to test but my experience is that Crown is a shade more conservative with their amplifier ratings than Behringer.

Both amps have a range of professional and consumer inputs and outputs but the XLS pulls ahead in output connections by supporting Speakon. The Behringer has a higher resolution output power led bar graph display. The XLS appears to have a built in set of bandpass filters so that simple multiway systems can be based on it without outboard electronic crossovers. It is far lighter and uses a more advanced switchmode power supply so one model works worldwide.

The A500 has pure convection mode cooling while the XLS has a fan.
post #22 of 25 Old 02-05-2013, 05:33 PM

Liked: 12
I have had a pair of Mmg's and an emotiva usp 1 and emotiva xpa 200. I am using a vpi traveler turntable ortofon 2m blue into the phono stage in the usp 1. I also am running a Sony cdp cx400 cd changer into an entech number cruncher 203.2

I love it. It's not perfect for me, spuds a bit bright and harsh at times. Sometimes I think it's the vinyl and other times I wonder if its the emotiva.

I have my mmg in a small room. I have them about three feet from the wall and I am sitting about 6 feet from them.

I wonder in I should try a deperate phono stage.

Some vinyl spuds amazing and soe sounds harsh, it's probably just the mastered albums themselves that are causing the harshness.
post #23 of 25 Old 02-05-2013, 06:35 PM

Liked: 22
My favorite transistor amplifier to drive my Magnepan 10.1s are B&K. I'm sorry I don't know the model number, but a 60 watt stereo used should serve you fine. I have either listened to or owned B&K, Sherbourne, Parasound (nice), Sony, Pioneer, Denon (yuck), Marantz.
I think good square wave responce at every stage is important, at least according to something I have read by one of B&K's founders. Plenty of current on tap is also improtant. Good Luck.
post #24 of 25 Old 02-06-2013, 04:34 PM

Liked: 17
I used the Behringer EP-4000 for various speakers. It has more presence than other more expensive amps I have had including Bryston B60R, Emotiva XPA-2, Arcam AVR-600, Exposure 2010s2 and Cary SLI-80. The Behringer is the only amp I have had that tells my 1.6s who is boss. I had the MMGs on it and it was great.
post #25 of 25 Old 04-07-2013, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Integrated amplifier's will be considered, but it must have the same performance as a power amp with a similar price.

So I am stuck at the moment, i was not at all expecting the total lack of availability of so many amplifiers in Australia. Any help would be appreciated, and i know there are many threads on this topic (i've read them all tongue.gif) but i really need some extra input. smile.gif
Thank you all

This will do the job very nicely, with plenty of power at a reasonable price and if you are realy willing to spend $1,000.00 go for the MG-12s even better.

Image Resized at http://www.shrinkpictures.com

Chord CPM-2600 amplifier
Chord One cd player
Acoustat 1+1 speakers
Life without Acoustat is possible BUT senseless
Reply 2-Channel Audio