Pro-Ject Deubt Carbon -- a good upgrade over Audio-Technica AT-PL120? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-21-2012, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So my wife wants be to decide today what I want for Christmas. I've frankly got a first world problem in that I don't really want anything, but she won't just give me an IOU for travel. All I can think of is to upgrade my turntable. Would the Pro-Ject really be a upgrade over my Audio-Technica (upgraded with a Shure M97xE cartridge)?

The rest of my system is:
Zu Omen floorstanding speakers
Miniwatt N3
Jolida JD9 preamp

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by John M Miller View Post

So my wife wants be to decide today what I want for Christmas. I've frankly got a first world problem in that I don't really want anything, but she won't just give me an IOU for travel. All I can think of is to upgrade my turntable. Would the Pro-Ject really be a upgrade over my Audio-Technica (upgraded with a Shure M97xE cartridge)?
The rest of my system is:
Zu Omen floorstanding speakers
Miniwatt N3
Jolida JD9 preamp
Thanks!

They're different animals, but on balance, the Carbon is a nice step up from the LP120. The biggest change will be going from the direct drive LP120 to the belt drive Carbon. Belt drive gives you better isolation of the platter from the motor, but has less precise speed regulation, so you could see an increase in wow/flutter, but nothing dramatic. I think the Carbon gives you the best bang for the buck in its price range, FWIW.

The 2M Red cart that comes with the Carbon is probably a small upgrade over your Shure, but not huge. The thing is you can listen to both carts, and if you like the Shure better, you'll have no trouble selling the LP120 with the Red installed.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 352
There are plenty of Pro-Ject devotees out there who will shout me down, but I'll argue no. The AT has rock-solid speed accuracy. The Pro-Ject is so bad they sell an expensive add-on to fix it. Your Shure cartridge is probably better (and certainly no worse) than what comes with the Pro-Ject.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

Old 12-21-2012, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
While we wait for the Pro-ject devotees to shout mcnarus down, I decided, based on the comments on this board and Audio Asylum, to go a different direction. I called the guys at Zu Audio and they agreed to upgrade the drivers on my Omens (even though their upgrade programs is supposed to only be for their Superflys). Same cost as the turntable and I think it'll make a much bigger impact.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-21-2012, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It'll be interesting to hear your take on the Omen upgrade. I recently acquired a pair of Honey Walnut Omens and love the sound. The next step up in my system may be this upgrade.

Main Rig: Panny TCP65S2, Panny BDP-55, PS-3, DTV HR-21, SB Touch, XDA-1, Yamaha RX-V3900, XPA-3, Rocket NM 550's, Rocket 150's, X-CS Encore, UFW-10, Harmony 700.

Computer Room: Dell laptop, Schiit Bifrost, Jolida 102b, Audioengine N22(for headphones), Zu Omen Standard