Help building a 2.1 system for my bedroom... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 12-25-2012, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I might have an impossible request here, I don't know. I'm considering building/buying a 2.1 system for my bedroom, but I need 3 hdmi inputs, and the costs needs to be less than $400 if possible. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-25-2012, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 723
You mean just speakers or including an avr or?

post #3 of 17 Old 12-25-2012, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Including AVR...or, I have seen a couple of 2.1 systems that have hdmi inputs in the sub. Those may be garbage, I honestly have no idea. I'm knew at this. I know amazon has a Yamaha receiver that's about $190 right now, so that may be my best bet on that front.
post #4 of 17 Old 12-25-2012, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Onkyo's online sales outlet is selling refurbished AVRs for 30% off the listed price. The RC330 list price right now is $144 - that translates to right at $100 and qualifies for free shipping. It has 3 HDMI inputs. Join the 'Club Onkyo' and you'll get an additional small discount of $5 or $10 - can't remember off hand. That will leave you something for speakers - which I encourage you to try shopping locally in Craigs List or classified ads.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #5 of 17 Old 12-26-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 723
I've never seen a sub with HDMI. You've gotten some good suggestions in the other thread, but I like Knucklehead's suggestion of looking for some used speakers in your area (depends how big a metro area you're in to an extent as to any choices that way). Are you looking particularly for a music system? If tv/movies are important you might consider a center speaker as well, can make for better dialog than a phantom center (as reinforced over the weekend visiting my brother who has two very nice full range speakers and the sub I gave him for his living room setup, but movies just weren't as satisfying as with a center channel as I'm used to....).

post #6 of 17 Old 12-26-2012, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 54
HDMI in a subwoofer? Are you sure that you're not thinking of a soundbar?
post #7 of 17 Old 12-26-2012, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

I got the idea of a sub with HDMI inputs from the Onkyo HTX-22HDX 2.1 system. It may be the only one like that exists like that, as I haven't found any other, and maybe that's not really even a sub...more like a base module, maybe. And I suspect it's probably not very good, but I honestly don't know.

As far as building a 2.1 goes, I've found a Yamaha receiver for $169, a pair of Pioneer SP-BS21-LRs for $55, and a Pioneer SW-8 sub for $97. Would that be a good sounding system, or do you have any other recommendations in that price range? Do you guys think I need two bookshelf speakers and a sub, or two book shelf speakers and a center channel speaker with no sub?

I always assumed I'd need to get two book shelf speakers and a sub, but I, of course, could be wrong. The "system" will be used for Directv and Movies about 99% of the time.

Thank you all for your help.

Oh, and by the way, I live in Owensboro, a town in western Kentucky, so it's unlikely I'll find much on Craigslist. It's possible, I suppose, but a long shot.
post #8 of 17 Old 12-26-2012, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

I also just saw that Amazon has the Onkyo TX-NR509 for the same price as the Yahama RX-V371BL. Without doing a lot of research yet, it looks like the Onkyo would be the way to go. Would that be a correct assumption?
post #9 of 17 Old 12-26-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Fingers View Post

I also just saw that Amazon has the Onkyo TX-NR509 for the same price as the Yahama RX-V371BL. Without doing a lot of research yet, it looks like the Onkyo would be the way to go. Would that be a correct assumption?

For equal money, I'd probably agree with you. I think that both are being sold on close-out and the new models are also neck-and-neck feature wise. The most improtant thing that I see missing from these close-out models are Aydyssey 2EQ (Onkyo) and YPAO (Yamaha).
post #10 of 17 Old 12-26-2012, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

I'd much prefer having the included calibration ability, but since this is a budget system. I'm willing to do without to get a good price.
post #11 of 17 Old 12-26-2012, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

I ended up getting the Yamaha RX-V371 for $169. When I went to purchase the Onkyo, it was already sold out at that price. I got a pair of Pioneer BS21s for $49 and a Pioneer SW-8 for $69 at Newegg. Any opinions on if that will sound better than my current set-up, which is a Vizio VHT210 Soundbar?
post #12 of 17 Old 12-26-2012, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 290
It's a no contest. It will definitely sound better. Invest in a better subwoofer in the future if you can though.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #13 of 17 Old 12-26-2012, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

I really got the sub because it was only $69. I didn't see the bad reviews on here until after I purchased it. The reviews I read that weren't on here seemed to indicate it was pretty decent...but, after reading on here, I'm not so sure. Any tips on a budget sub that would go well with my BS21s? This will have to do for now, but I'll be on the lookout.
post #14 of 17 Old 12-26-2012, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

The SW-8 is definitely better than not having one especially with the BS21s (65Hz low-end). I would head over to the subwoofers forum and check out the budget subwoofers thread for ideas.

post #15 of 17 Old 12-26-2012, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I will do that.
post #16 of 17 Old 12-27-2012, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

I noticed while looking at the back of the bookshelf speakers that they are 6 ohms. I figured the receiver is automatically set to 8, so I looked up what to do on Yamaha's website. It says "If you are running 6 ohm and 8 ohm speakers the receiver still needs to be set to 6 ohms. Running speakers with a speaker impedance level of 6 ohms or lower will cause damage to the receiver."

So, it seems like I just set it to 6 ohms and I'm good to go....until I read that last sentence. I assume they meant running speakers with a speaker impedance level of 6 ohms without adjustment to the receiver will damage the receiver, but that's not exactly what it says.

If setting it to 6 ohms will damage the receiver, then why allow the receiver to change the impedance to 6 ohms?
post #17 of 17 Old 12-27-2012, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

That is either poorly worded or a typo. That receiver should handle 6 ohm speakers just fine. 4 ohm speakers would be another matter. Just set it to 6 ohms and rest easy.

Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page