2.1 amp into 2.0 speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-29-2012, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there,
My buddy has a small home theature combo unit with an amp which has speaker outputs for 5.1 (eg 5 spekers and a sub).
The 5 speakers are variously 3 ohm (for front speakers) and 6 ohm (for the other speakers).
All hooked up and set up right it sounds ok.
Herecently moved to a house that has remote speakers in back yard.
I have hooked them up to the front left and right outputs of the amp for him (he is clueless and I am only just a little better) but they dont sount like they are getting any base, presumably because the amp sends all the base out the speaker connector to which the subwoofer is connected (and not the front left and right speakers).

Is there a way I can make both the base part of the audio as well as the rest of the frequency, be send to the speakers in the back yard ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-29-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Make sure the polarity is right. You may have to trace the wires down if they don't have any markings on them. If the polarity is opposite on each speaker the results will be a canceling out of lower frequencies - and kill the bass.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 4 Old 12-30-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 256
To know how to set that up for proper operation we would need to know the exact Make and model number of the receiver.
post #4 of 4 Old 12-31-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linz View Post

Hi there,
My buddy has a small home theature combo unit with an amp which has speaker outputs for 5.1 (eg 5 spekers and a sub).
The 5 speakers are variously 3 ohm (for front speakers) and 6 ohm (for the other speakers).
All hooked up and set up right it sounds ok.

Cool!
Quote:
He recently moved to a house that has remote speakers in back yard.

I have hooked them up to the front left and right outputs of the amp for him (he is clueless and I am only just a little better) but they dont sound like they are getting any bass, presumably because the amp sends all the base out the speaker connector to which the subwoofer is connected (and not the front left and right speakers).

That is a reasonable diagnosis.

Quote:
Is there a way I can make both the bass part of the audio as well as the rest of the frequency, be send to the speakers in the back yard ?

You can do this but it may require doing some inconvenient switching on the AVR to change its mode of operation.

The easy answer is to get a separate amp of some kind for the speakers in the back yard.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page