Audio Converter Adapter / Cables - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 12-31-2012, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hope i posted this under the right forum. I'm not exactly an audio or TV guru.

I have a fairly simple request.

It seems these new TV's don't have an audio jack for headphones. My father is practically deaf and needs to use headphones otherwise the TV speakers are cranked blisteringly loud.

So I am looking for an inexpensive way for him to hear audio from the TV through his headphones. (Programming on TV, external HD plugged in, Blu-Ray player etc.)

Would something like this work?

(Audio Converter Adapter.)

http://www.amazon.ca/Digital-Optical-Analog-Converter-Adapter/dp/B005DIRI6I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356933476&sr=8-1

(Cables.)

http://www.amazon.ca/Digital-Audio-Optical-Fiber-Toslink/dp/B0042E53XE/ref=pd_bxgy_ce_img_b

If not, what is your guys suggestion?

I want it to be simple and relatively cheap, but decent quality (not complete garbage.)

Happy NY all!

Edit: Hmm I'm wondering if there is a better converter than this one cause I'm reading reports of hissing and lower sound levels...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 12-31-2012, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 112
While that will convert the signal to analog the signal coming out of the RCA connections are at preamp levels and won't drive a pair of headphones. You'll need some way to amplify the signal and control the volume to drive the headphones. Most cheap AVRs will do this - look for one with a headphone jack. In the used market you can get an old AVR for $50 or less. Check Craigs List and classified ads in your area.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 24 Old 01-01-2013, 06:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectraat View Post

I hope i posted this under the right forum. I'm not exactly an audio or TV guru.

It seems these new TV's don't have an audio jack for headphones. My father is practically deaf and needs to use headphones otherwise the TV speakers are cranked blisteringly loud.

So I am looking for an inexpensive way for him to hear audio from the TV through his headphones. (Programming on TV, external HD plugged in, Blu-Ray player etc.)

http://www.amazon.ca/Digital-Optical-Analog-Converter-Adapter/dp/B005DIRI6I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356933476&sr=8-1

(Cables.)

http://www.amazon.ca/Digital-Audio-Optical-Fiber-Toslink/dp/B0042E53XE/ref=pd_bxgy_ce_img_b

I want it to be simple and relatively cheap, but decent quality (not complete garbage.)

Happy NY all!

Edit: Hmm I'm wondering if there is a better converter than this one cause I'm reading reports of hissing and lower sound levels...

The common problem with the digital output of TV's is that it usually switches between PCM stereo and Dolby 5.1 surround depending on what you are watching. Most DACs handle only PCM stereo and go silent or put out white noise when presented with a Dolby digital signal. Some TVs may have a setup menu option for forcing this output to be stereo-only.

If you can't force this output to stay stereo, then you need something like an AVR with a digtial input, a surround processor, etc.

My Sennheiser digital HD 160 headphones are driven by a Panasonic SHAC-500 surround decoder set for 2 channel output, followed by a Rane 30 band equalizer and then into the input of the digital headphones which is at line level.
post #4 of 24 Old 01-01-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi Vectraat,

As Arny said, You need to be concerned with broadcasts that have Dolby-Digital 5.1 audio instead of Stereo PCM. If your TV won't down-convert DD5.1 into stereo for you, here is a converter, similar to the one that you linked to, that also decodes DD5.1 into stereo:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0021QBIBQ/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B005H4Y75S&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1Z3E0V5KKHTDYV8Z9NH5

And as Knucklehead pointed out, the output is line-level and you would need a headphone amplifier. I was looking for something similar to the above with a headphone-amp included, but am not finding anything suitable.
post #5 of 24 Old 01-01-2013, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

While that will convert the signal to analog the signal coming out of the RCA connections are at preamp levels and won't drive a pair of headphones. You'll need some way to amplify the signal and control the volume to drive the headphones. Most cheap AVRs will do this - look for one with a headphone jack. In the used market you can get an old AVR for $50 or less. Check Craigs List and classified ads in your area.

Ah ok I am confused then....

So you are saying that the digital to analog converter I posted will not push audio through to a pair of headphones plugged into it?
I figured with the toslink (optical cable) plugged into the converter connected to the TV - You'd just adjust the volume on the TV with your remote and thus get audio from the headphones?

*confused*

Can anyone link me to some decent AVR's then?
I don't know why but they are so difficult to find in my area. I may have to order online.
I really only need a device that my dad can plug his headphones into to get audio from an external HD, TV channels and a Blu-Ray player.
post #6 of 24 Old 01-01-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

Hi Vectraat,
As Arny said, You need to be concerned with broadcasts that have Dolby-Digital 5.1 audio instead of Stereo PCM. If your TV won't down-convert DD5.1 into stereo for you, here is a converter, similar to the one that you linked to, that also decodes DD5.1 into stereo:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0021QBIBQ/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B005H4Y75S&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1Z3E0V5KKHTDYV8Z9NH5
And as Knucklehead pointed out, the output is line-level and you would need a headphone amplifier. I was looking for something similar to the above with a headphone-amp included, but am not finding anything suitable.

Hello

Ok, so the gear you linked is better than what I posted 'cause it will down convert DD 5.1 audio to analog?
So then I just need to get that device, an optical cable (toslink) plug it into the converter and back of the TV - headphones plug into the front....
But I need a headphone amp....

Any links to those? I'm just looking for something simple for my dad 'cause he's not tech savy at all. I'd say I'm tech savy with computers but I know almost nill when it comes to TV's and audio.
post #7 of 24 Old 01-01-2013, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

How's this as an AVR?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/denon-denon-audio-video-5-1-channel-receiver-avr-1613-avr-1613/10200602.aspx?path=81e7c6acba09e35b504bffd8fb6fcf0den02.

We have Best Buy here (which is ****** compared to the American version.)
Future Shop, London Drugs and The Source.

I prefer buying in store as opposed to online, but if I need to buy online to make this work I will.

I'm a bit iffy about buying used stuff from places like Craigslist 'cause some of my friends have gotten ripped off and in general I like buying new.
post #8 of 24 Old 01-01-2013, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

post #9 of 24 Old 01-01-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:

(Cables.)

Happy NY all!

Treat him right and get the elegant all-in-one solution: The Sony MDR-DS6500 wireless digital Dolby headphones. Base station accepts the optical digital output directly from the TV and handles up to Dolby 7.1 flawlessly, and even has VOLUME CONTROL. No converters or DACS required. Very comfortable (wireless) and GREAT sound.
post #10 of 24 Old 01-01-2013, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Treat him right and get the elegant all-in-one solution: The Sony MDR-DS6500 wireless digital Dolby headphones. Base station accepts the optical digital output directly from the TV and handles up to Dolby 7.1 flawlessly, and even has VOLUME CONTROL. No converters or DACS required. Very comfortable (wireless) and GREAT sound.

It's a nice thought, but he would never use them.
He had a pair of wireless headphones before and never used them.
He's kinda set in his ways of using these cheap wired headsets.

So I need to figure out how to make that work.
post #11 of 24 Old 01-01-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Vectraat,
Quote:

Ok, so the gear you linked is better than what I posted 'cause it will down convert DD 5.1 audio to analog?
Yes, that is the only difference. If his TV will do the down-conversion instead, then that extra feature will be redundant, and the unit that you linked to originally will be better, since it's cheaper.

The one issue with the Audioengine unit that you linked to is that it is meant to be powered from a computer's USB port. If the TV has a USB port, then it would work. Otherwise, you would need to find a power-supply for it.

In my opinion, the Sony headphones that Domino recommended would be the best, although most expensive solution, especially if your dad does not already have high quality headphones.
EDIT: I was still writing my post when you posted about his desire to use his current headphones. So maybe the Audioengine is the best solution.
post #12 of 24 Old 01-01-2013, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hi Vectraat,

The one issue with the Audioengine unit that you linked to is that it is meant to be powered from a computer's USB port. If the TV has a USB port, then it would work. Otherwise, you would need to find a power-supply for it.

Ya, there is a USB port on the TV. Is it powerful enough to support the Audioengine?
post #13 of 24 Old 01-01-2013, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ya, there is a USB port on the TV. Is it powerful enough to support the Audioengine?
It should be, if everything meets USB specifications.

The USB spec says that the USB host port has to supply up to half an amp if the device requests that much current. It also says that a device cannot draw more than half an amp. That's a total of 2.5 watts, which should be enough for headphones.
post #14 of 24 Old 01-01-2013, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It should be, if everything meets USB specifications.
The USB spec says that the USB host port has to supply up to half an amp if the device requests that much current. It also says that a device cannot draw more than half an amp. That's a total of 2.5 watts, which should be enough for headphones.

Ok so it should work....

If I connect the converter to the TV via optical wire/usb and have the headphones plugged into it...

Will it be able to convert the audio for everything my dad has for his TV? E.G. TV programming, Blu-Ray and External HD or will it involve plugging/unplugging those devices to get the audio working etc?

Sorry, didn't write that up very clearly, but I think you get what I mean.
I just want to plug this converter in and leave it.
post #15 of 24 Old 01-01-2013, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

. . . Will it be able to convert the audio for everything my dad has for his TV? E.G. TV programming, Blu-Ray and External HD or will it involve plugging/unplugging those devices to get the audio working etc?
Oooh . . . Things are a little more complicated now . . .

It is going to depend on your dad's TV, as different TVs handle their audio-output differently. They all will output the audio from their internal tuner to the audio output, and some will allow any DD5.1 broadcasts to be down-converted to stereo and others will not. Besides that difference, many will not output any audio that is received from external sources, meaning no audio from the Blu-Ray player. The best way to find out is to test it, and an alternative way would be to try to get an accurate answer from tech-support.

If you find that the TV is not going to cooperate, then the best solution might be Knucklehead's suggestion of a cheap AVR with a headphone jack.
post #16 of 24 Old 01-01-2013, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Cheapest AVR with a headphone jack I could find is the Onkyo HT RC330. IMO buying that is easier and cheaper than fiddling around with any other options and it'll work. Plug in and the sound cuts off - if anyone else is in the room they'll be relegated to using the TV speakers (YUK!) when your Dad is listening to TV. He'll also be able to hear radio if he likes doing that - CDs etc.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #17 of 24 Old 01-02-2013, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Cheapest AVR with a headphone jack I could find is the Onkyo HT RC330. IMO buying that is easier and cheaper than fiddling around with any other options and it'll work. Plug in and the sound cuts off - if anyone else is in the room they'll be relegated to using the TV speakers (YUK!) when your Dad is listening to TV. He'll also be able to hear radio if he likes doing that - CDs etc.

Darn - only ships to the US.
In Canada here..

"Sound cuts off" ?

"relagated to using the TV speakers" ?
post #18 of 24 Old 01-02-2013, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Darn - only ships to the US.
In Canada here..
"Sound cuts off" ?
"relagated to using the TV speakers" ?
I forgot you're in Canada. Try the Canuck Audio Mart.
When you plug in headphones the external speakers are cut off so anyone else watching TV will be listening to the TV speakers for sound.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #19 of 24 Old 01-02-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I forgot you're in Canada. Try the Canuck Audio Mart.
When you plug in headphones the external speakers are cut off so anyone else watching TV will be listening to the TV speakers for sound.

There are only the speakers on the TV.
The speakers on the TV via this AVR won't be linked to the loudness of the audio on the headset right?
They are 2 separate audio levels?
post #20 of 24 Old 01-02-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

No - the TV won't control the volume of the headphones connected to an AVR when the source for the AVR is optical or coax. I was assuming that since you'd have an AVR there would be speakers connected to it. The AVR/headphone combo should work fine without having speakers connected.

A quick look on Amazon.ca came up with this. It would do exactly what you want without having a large AVR in the room.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #21 of 24 Old 01-02-2013, 02:56 PM

Hello all, and happy new year!

I wanted to jump in on this thread and add my inquiry, if I may. I have a 2012 Sony 55" HX850 that has the optical digital audio output, and I'm assuming that this is a 'toslink' connection but not 100% sure as of yet. Rather than purchase an A/V receiver and 5.1 surround speaker system, I'd prefer to run the audio (all audio) out to my legacy stereo system that has the analog RCA left and right audio inputs. I've read that this digital-to-analog connection requires a Digital to Analog Converter (DAC), that also needs to be compatible with both PCM and Dolby sound - due to SD and HD audio differences. I've also read that the GefenTv DAC, selling around $100, satisfies this requirement. This sounds like it may be the solution for me, and others with the same objective.

I am also reading that Sony's Optical Digital Audio Output is good ONLY for the internal TV's tuner, but I'm reading conflicting stories about that as well. I'm using my cable box for TV channels, and not the TV's own tuner.

I am currently utilizing the HDMI connections on the back of the HX850 for Cable, DVD player and Blu-Ray player, and they all work with aduio coming through the TV's speakers. What I want to do is use the Optical Digital Audio output to route these three inputs through to my stereo system, and use the stereo's speakers instead of the TV's speakers.

Has anybody tried this type of configuration with success, and are there any caveats to this approach ?

thanks,
Dave
post #22 of 24 Old 01-03-2013, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Yah I e-mailed them and they responded:

"With the D1 connected to your TV you would want to use the optical input since the USB connection will only transfer audio when used with a computer. You will need to still connect to a USB port or power adapter to power the D1. When you use the TV's audio output any of your connected devices will also be sent through the D1"

So even though the TV has a USB port on it I still need to use a USB power adapter to power the D1 .... which is kind of odd....

But he said any of the cell phone/ipod chargers will work. etc.
post #23 of 24 Old 01-04-2013, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
So even though the TV has a USB port on it I still need to use a USB power adapter to power the D1

no, read the quote below.
Quote:
You will need to still connect to a USB port or power adapter to power the D1.
post #24 of 24 Old 01-04-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:

Yah I e-mailed them and they responded:

"With the D1 connected to your TV you would want to use the optical input since the USB connection will only transfer audio when used with a computer. You will need to still connect to a USB port or power adapter to power the D1. When you use the TV's audio output any of your connected devices will also be sent through the D1"

So even though the TV has a USB port on it I still need to use a USB power adapter to power the D1 .... which is kind of odd....

Both odd and incorrect. The USB ports on TVs seem to all have the usual 5 volt power. It's needed to power the flash drives and network adaptors that are usually plugged in there.
Quote:
But he said any of the cell phone/ipod chargers will work. etc.

That too. You can get 5 volt USB chargers for about $10 just about everyplace even big box home improvement stores. Or, you can order them direct ship from China for a couple of bucks delivered.
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page