Thoughts on Bose Wave III System - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-01-2013, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This recently past Christmas I had a tough decision to make, what audio system to purchase for my girlfriend. I personally own a Yamaha MCR-040 as a bedroom system and I love it! My girlfriend had previously owned a Bose Wave CD and loved it (sold for monetary reasons).

I initially was going to buy a Yamaha MCR-040 for her but realized that I was thinking with my heart (and wallet), not hers. Anyways, I chose to buy her the new Wave Music System III Premium Bundle. This unit came with the iPod dock and a beautiful aluminum covered, back lit remote control. I bought for her what I knew she would really want.

So, the question is, what do I think of the Bose? I was amazed at unpacking it to see that it is made in the USA! I am also surprised by the sound quality out of such a small unit! My girlfriends apartment is over 1000 sq. ft. but you can easily hear it everywhere, very clearly. I have (and do own) some tremendously good audio equipment but I truly believe that the Bose was worth the money. Yes, I would like to see some metal on the case, but it is in no way cheap feeling. We had a little party for New Years and received numerous comments on how good the "system" sounded.

I guess that I see what the attraction to Bose is. It does not reproduce the frequency extremes to the finest extents but they are very comfortable and pleasing to listen to. I have no qualms whatsoever recommending a Bose Wave System to those that want it or can afford it. If it fits YOUR needs, it is a very nice music system!

As a side note, Bose customer service is absolutely top notch. They exhibited no high pressure sales techniques nor pitches and answered my questions satisfactorily. They seem to be a great company to deal with, though I wish that they made truly kick butt audio systems for freaks like me. That said, I am considering adding a Wave System to my bedroom for the TV and the alarm clock.

I am now going to watch NIU play FSU in a great New Years bowl game!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-01-2013, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
The Bose Wave III vs a Yamaha MCR-040.....kick ass, or even high quality, doesn't come into my thoughts with either. I suppose if a small all-in-one box is what you want....

post #3 of 17 Old 01-01-2013, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 98
If its anything like the Bose Wave radio it ain't bad but there are other choices available - and most of them cost less and sound as good and often much better for the money. I owned a wave radio for a while. A friend of mine needed some quick cash and offered it to me. It was a present from his parents. I carted it home and used it for a few weeks - then stuck it on ebay and got my money back. That has been the extent of any Bose ownership by me. Bose is set up to make a pleasing sound - they've discovered that the lower mid bass can be left out and most people won't miss it. Thats fine but I would. For casual listening I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Small solutions are always a compromise - thats why I always listen to my very large tower speakers driven by 300wpc. No compromise!

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #4 of 17 Old 01-01-2013, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
post #5 of 17 Old 01-02-2013, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Thats almost like a couple of modern day political parties trying to communicate.

And somewhere out here in flyover country we're just trying to get decent music!

For $500

With a CD player.

With a waveguide!

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #6 of 17 Old 01-02-2013, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 949
good thing you did'nt post this in the speaker forum lol

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #7 of 17 Old 01-02-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Bose has made some pretty bad products, but they've also made some pretty good ones. Saying, "Bose sucks" buys you cred in Audiophile Land, but it marks you as an undiscerning listener, more influenced by labels than sound.

FWIW, $500 can buy you a nice little component system, certainly better than anything you could get in a one-piece unit. But if what you want is a table radio, and you're willing to pay a premium price for a good one, the Wave Radio is without peer, IME.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #8 of 17 Old 01-02-2013, 12:29 PM

My 70 yr old mother and her new husband bought a Acoustic Wave music system II with 5-CD changer......$1300.
They are really happy with it.....me, not so much.
When I asked her why she didnt get me to help get something better for the money....
She had that terrified look and mentioned all the cables it took for my system.
I understand that, they want plug and play.
But value? ......no, they paid for ease of hook up.
Thats what the video I posted above was suppose to convey.
Most people that buy Bose just want music in their home, no hassle.
Fair enough.......most cars are automatic for the same reason.
post #9 of 17 Old 01-02-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I understand that, they want plug and play.
But value? ......no, they paid for ease of hook up.
Thats what the video I posted above was suppose to convey.
Really? I thought the point of that video was to demonstrate what a-holes audio salesmen are.

post #10 of 17 Old 01-02-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

Really? I thought the point of that video was to demonstrate what a-holes audio salesmen are.

Nope.......but every coin has two sides.
What ever side you rub the hardest will always shine the most.
post #11 of 17 Old 01-02-2013, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That video is hilarious!!!
post #12 of 17 Old 01-02-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nope.......but every coin has two sides.
Yes, and you're only seeing one of them. The salesan in that video is an a-hole. He makes no effort to connect with and convince the customer. It's all attitude and arrogance. It encapsulates what's wrong with high-end audio and why it's a laughingstock in the wider culture.
CMonMan likes this.

post #13 of 17 Old 01-02-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

Yes, and you're only seeing one of them. The salesan in that video is an a-hole. He makes no effort to connect with and convince the customer. It's all attitude and arrogance. It encapsulates what's wrong with high-end audio and why it's a laughingstock in the wider culture.

Wow......your paranoia with all things high end is.....well, a little disturbing.

Its a cartoon, made for enjoyment.....no hidden messages, um, you didnt try to play it backwards....did you?
post #14 of 17 Old 01-02-2013, 10:32 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry R View Post

Wow......your paranoia with all things high end is.....well, a little disturbing.
Its a cartoon, made for enjoyment.....no hidden messages, um, you didnt try to play it backwards....did you?
smile.gif
I just noticed the Bose ad at the top of this page. The salesman is an a-hole.
post #15 of 17 Old 01-04-2013, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have owned and enjoy "high end" audio equipment. My girlfriend told me what she wanted and I bought it for her...She is happy and so am I!!!:biggrin.gif

Not every person wants the ultimate resolution but they want something that simply sounds pleasant and good to their ears. My take was that the salesman was a moron...I love the last sentence..."Before you kill yourself, could you please validate my parking".smile.gif

If those (us) that were into high end audio could take the time to stop and see that high end is not the same to all individuals and to foster their enjoyment in music we would all be better off for it. I would love it if my GF wanted Dynaudio (maybe not$$$) but to her Bose sounds great! Is Bose worth the money? I do not have a great an ultimate answer for that as does nobody else. The value of any system is in the eye of the individual purchasing it. It is not just about Bose marketing. Bose is at least smart enough to market their equipment, Yamaha, Krell, Arcam Cambridge Audio, Bryston,, etc., etc., could but it is their choice not to! The comparisons of Bose to Monster are also pretty atrocious, at least Bose sells an item that has a sound quality, good or bad!

The vehement hate directed towards Bose seems totally uncalled for (none on this thread) because they are filling a niche left empty by our "audiophile" brands! I wish that I would have thought of the idea first! The Bose product has been marketed as something that one strives to "achieve". If their is one thing that people hate, it is success that is not befallen them!

Those that hate Bose can complain all that they want but the fact remains is that Bose has marketed to the ultimate decision maker in most families, the wife/girlfriend, while other companies treat her as if does not exist! Well she does and it if came down to Bose or Krell or my significant other I would compromise as much as possible. I am not a snob nor a hater. Hey, I was in the Air Force and I appreciate democracy and opinions...
post #16 of 17 Old 01-04-2013, 08:33 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by math-geek View Post

I have owned and enjoy "high end" audio equipment. My girlfriend told me what she wanted and I bought it for her...She is happy and so am I!!!:biggrin.gif
Not every person wants the ultimate resolution but they want something that simply sounds pleasant and good to their ears. My take was that the salesman was a moron...I love the last sentence..."Before you kill yourself, could you please validate my parking".smile.gif
If those (us) that were into high end audio could take the time to stop and see that high end is not the same to all individuals and to foster their enjoyment in music we would all be better off for it. I would love it if my GF wanted Dynaudio (maybe not$$$) but to her Bose sounds great! Is Bose worth the money? I do not have a great an ultimate answer for that as does nobody else. The value of any system is in the eye of the individual purchasing it. It is not just about Bose marketing. Bose is at least smart enough to market their equipment, Yamaha, Krell, Arcam Cambridge Audio, Bryston,, etc., etc., could but it is their choice not to! The comparisons of Bose to Monster are also pretty atrocious, at least Bose sells an item that has a sound quality, good or bad!
The vehement hate directed towards Bose seems totally uncalled for (none on this thread) because they are filling a niche left empty by our "audiophile" brands! I wish that I would have thought of the idea first! The Bose product has been marketed as something that one strives to "achieve". If their is one thing that people hate, it is success that is not befallen them!
Those that hate Bose can complain all that they want but the fact remains is that Bose has marketed to the ultimate decision maker in most families, the wife/girlfriend, while other companies treat her as if does not exist! Well she does and it if came down to Bose or Krell or my significant other I would compromise as much as possible. I am not a snob nor a hater. Hey, I was in the Air Force and I appreciate democracy and opinions...
My parents had a Revox A77 for a source and some Acoustimas system for speakers... And the Bose were better than the speakers they replaced - but not as good what you can get for the same $$. My parents compromised on size, looks and sound, and were happy with their choice. To them, Bose was worth the $$. As a company Bose seems successful. My mom could happily live with just the satellites and no bass module. And she prefers the sound from her TV to the Acoustimas system. She cares a bit about music, and not at all about sound. She is not wrong. And I could not enjoy her sound.
post #17 of 17 Old 01-04-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
My post was before peeking at some of the OPs posts. I was thinking serious 2 ch system rather than a dresser top box for the bedroom. Sure, some small boxes will do but I'm not going to pull up a chair and listen to that sort of 2 ch setup. Turn it on while changing sheets on the bed maybe, but since I have a nice 5.1 system in the bedroom....does not compute!

Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page