Cheap bedroom setup recommendations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-02-2013, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I'm building a cheap bedroom setup for my mp3 player/phone and am looking for any recommendations. The biggest room size I would move this to is ~15x20 ft. I'm attempting to stick in the $200 range but might be willing to go slightly higher. My current device is an iphone and since they got rid of the 30-pin it's a great opportunity to upgrade with a good explanation for my wife, I was using an old ihome dock because it was, "good enough." I'm sure some of you know how that goes :P

Right now I'm looking at:
Dayton Audio DTA-100a
Polk Monitor 30

This puts me at around $170. Initially I was looking at the Dayton b652s but I have a feeling that I'll be happier with the M30s. I have also looked at the APA150 amp but I doubt I would really put it to good use for this setup.

I do like the line out on the APA as that gives me more freedom when I decide to add a subwoofer and I won't have to worry about getting one with speaker level inputs and I don't like the idea of my source going through the sub first since I may actually use multiple sources (one thing I like about the DTA-100a so I can setup airplay but can also plug directly into the front when I'm charging)

Anyway, to the question: is this a decent setup for the money? I'm open to suggestions near my price range but I definitely don't want an amp much bigger than the APA150 so full-blown receivers are out. I also like the idea of the speakers being something I could move to a larger system as rears or something in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-02-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 114
The T-amps are great little toys. I've got a Lepai 20wpc amp. Works good and in a smaller room would never need to be replaced. The APA150 is much more versatile - it can power a sub - you can buy another one and bridge the channels together for 150wpc from each unit. Since you may move your setup to a larger room some time the APA150 would be the better choice IMO.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 3 Old 01-02-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I agree with knucklehead people seem to like the t amps a lot and love the good price on them.
Reply 2-Channel Audio