do you ever have trouble saying no to good deals when you have a lot of gear? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-02-2013, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I know that I won't use all of my amps/receivers and speakers all at once, but for some reason I want more gear and want to upgrade. I find a place in the house to store the older gear that I am not using right now.I have read other peoples post on here that say they upgrade a lot also though. is upgrading addictive? Do you ever get a rush at finding sometimes incredible deals on gear? how can I be strong and turn down the good deals, when it is hard to resist buying it? Do any of you ever struggle with this? Do you keep your old gear till it's blown or usually sell it when you upgrade?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Yes, it cost me $1500 the other night......
post #3 of 11 Old 02-16-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat View Post

I know that I won't use all of my amps/receivers and speakers all at once, but for some reason I want more gear and want to upgrade. I find a place in the house to store the older gear that I am not using right now.I have read other peoples post on here that say they upgrade a lot also though. is upgrading addictive? Do you ever get a rush at finding sometimes incredible deals on gear? how can I be strong and turn down the good deals, when it is hard to resist buying it? Do any of you ever struggle with this? Do you keep your old gear till it's blown or usually sell it when you upgrade?

Oh my, yes! Without going too far down this rabbit-hole...IMO, the nature of being an audiophile or enthusiast means a) the love of music (hopefully, first and foremost), and b) the love of gear.

If you love the gear; IMO, there's lot of good stuff out there...and who wouldn't want to try, this and that. Practically everything that either catches your eye, or peaks your interest. The detriment is dollars...but as you said; when you see a piece, at a good price...it's hard to resist. In the past...there was relatively little risk. If you knew the market, and bought reasonably; you could do an in-home audition (the only real way to determine if you can live with a piece, long-term, IMO), sell the "loser"...and hopefully not really lose your shirt in the process (or even gain a few bucks; yes...I have seen lower price gear "beat" more expensive. Especially if you bought at a bargain to begin with).

How do you turn it down, and stop the cycle? Well...for one; I think (if it does appeal to you in the first place; it doesn't, to all 'philes) you have to go through it for a spell. I spent my time, trying LOTS of good brands. I have no regrets; without that experience, I think you're left to wonder...and that leads to temptation. After you've been through it for a spell...it almost becomes like aversion therapy, lol. You do...IMO...grow tired of the packing, unpacking, packing; shipping...swapping, etc. Which leads me to my second point: you can get caught up, and make it too much about the gear.

When you're constantly swapping in and out; you're always in listening mode...audition mode. Is this better? How's the bass? Which piece throws the deepest sound-stage, etc. You say "what is there, if there's not listening"? Enjoying! I find...when I'm trying too much gear; I'm not really paying attention to the music. Sure...I hear it; but it's almost as if it's a vehicle for trying-out the system. No good. Remember: love of music, is supposed to be first and foremost.

Just my .02, on a subject which is obviously near and dear to my heart. Oh, and one other thing; Audiogon...ain't nearly what it used to be. Really took the piss out of trading gear for me; and for that, I am grateful. wink.gif

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #4 of 11 Old 02-16-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I try to get something I like and stick with it. I do on occasion get upgraditis. I"m pretty set now for a long time. New supercharged songtowers and an Oppo bdp-95 powered by a denon 3311ci for my 2 channel rig.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-17-2013, 09:03 AM

Liked: 37
I think you are confusing upgrading with collecting. Or simply impusive buying.

Upgrading is one thing and in my opinion. OK. Most of us do it but should be done with a plan in mind. Analyze what is the weak link in your system and upgrade to improve it. Then sell the old piece that you swapping out. At least thats what I do. I don't buy something because it is great deal. A great deal on an amp does nothing if the weak link is your speakers or vise versa.

Sound to me that you are collecting; not upgrading. By admission in your post, you refer to amps/receivers/speakers in plural and have a place to store all the unused stuff. Thats OK too if collecting is your thing.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
post #6 of 11 Old 02-17-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 295
^^^ See, this doctor...should heal thy own self, lol. Just this morning...I almost bought an IA, just because it was a piece I've always been interested in; and as such, have kept a close eye on. And this morning, I saw it cheaper than I ever have.

But...A, I already have a good IA; B, I do have another one on the way, that I think might mate better with my speakers. I sure as hell don't need a 3rd one (though, back in the day of my bad habit...a 3-model shoot-out was my modus operandi, lol).

I think, for a lot of audiophiles...it's the thrill of the hunt. Knowing this is a "good" piece, knowing it's a good price; and being the one to get it. It's a coup; but it doesn't mean you need it. It's just a bad habit of the hobby; and as I said earlier...you have to decide if you're a slave to the gear, and all that gear-trading...or the music.

But even I don't keep unused gear; I sell one thing to fund another (or sell what I bought, if it's not the "keeper"). To hold on to stuff; uh, that's hoarding...lol.

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #7 of 11 Old 02-18-2013, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 57
No trouble getting equipment that I do not need, it is AFTER I get it, that I get into trouble biggrin.gif
post #8 of 11 Old 02-18-2013, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

I just purchased this

new Dac. It is powered over the USB cable and it's async. I love my Bryston Dac but I just had to give the MODI from Schiit a listen. The name of the company is great too.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-20-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 34
what do you think of the MODI?
post #10 of 11 Old 02-20-2013, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post

what do you think of the MODI?

The MODI holds it's own with the 2 other Dacs I own. If I were on a budget and wanted a USB only Dac, this would be my choice.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-20-2013, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I keep buying Leica cameras. I cannot help myself!
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page