Marantz 2240B for 2 channel listening? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-09-2013, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ok so i am looking to start getting into some 2 channel listening and I found a Marantz 2240B listed locally. My speaker set up is Monitor Audio RX6's I currently use a Onkyo TX-NE515AVR but I would like to get something to use for 2 channel music listening. I have heard that the older Marantz like the 2240B give off a warm almost tube amp sound? Is this true? Would I notice a sound quality difference going from my AVR to using a older Marantz like the one mentioned? Just curious if I should peruse the receiver or not? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I don't know how much you are considering spending on it, but that is a relatively low-powered receiver and not one of their better-sounding models.

The tube models from the 1960s were very nice, and also some of the more expensive solid-state ones from the late 1960s, but I would not be all that likely to want that model.

Also, there are so many things that can be troublesome with gear that old; switches and control potentiometers can be in poor condition and hard to replace. Most electrolytic capacitors should be replaced with new ones. It's a project for a good technician with very good soldering skills.

I would advise you to get a new NAD or Music Hall integrated amplifier to get some nice trouble-free sound.

I have a like-new NAD C325BEE for sale for less than half the new price; see the classifieds.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have that model receiver and it is deceptively powerful. It can drive my 604's better than my old Yamaha HTR-6090 and it does sound very warm. I love it. However Commsysman is right, a lot can and likely will go wrong. On mine, I have a dirty volume pot and no matter how much contact cleaner I put on it, it still scratches in certain places. Additionally, one of the channels cuts out periodically, and the speaker connections are old push style and I had one break off on me. It would cost around $400 to have someone professionally restore it, and they have at least a one year waiting list. If you can do it yourself, cool. But expect to pay around an additional $100 in parts and lots of labor.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I've got a few vintage integrated amps. I just sold a Marantz 2225. It sounded great but then so does my modern stuff. I didn't hear anything 'tube-like' with the Marantz. One piece I'll probably never part with is a near perfect Kenwood KA-4006 integrated amp. None of the controls are scratchy and it works perfect. With only 38wpc it needs efficient speakers. I play it with a pair of 1967 era Harman Kardon HK-20 speakers. I had to replace the capacitors in them to get them to sound right.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Old 01-11-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyamen View Post

Ok so i am looking to start getting into some 2 channel listening and I found a Marantz 2240B listed locally. My speaker set up is Monitor Audio RX6's I currently use a Onkyo TX-NE515AVR but I would like to get something to use for 2 channel music listening.

What bad thing happens when you configure your Onkyo for use with 2 speakers?
Quote:
I have heard that the older Marantz like the 2240B give off a warm almost tube amp sound? Is this true?

No, its a classic solid state design with bipolar output transistors.
Quote:
Would I notice a sound quality difference going from my AVR to using a older Marantz like the one mentioned?

One difference is that the 2240 is a ca. 40 wpc device, while the NR 515 is 100 wpc. That is a 6 dB difference which could be audible if you were playing your system loud, depending on room, speakers, etc. Your speakers have average efficiency and reasonable impedance curves which means that they are not excessively taxing on their amplifier.

The other difference is that any 2240 you buy is going to be a decades-old piece of equipment, whose state of maintenance could include concealed flaws such as dried-out capacitors, abused output transistors, noisy controls, etc.

Your Monitor Audio speakers appear to be above-average speakers, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't benefit from a good subwoofer. Looking at their inherent limitations in the deep bass the two ca. 6 inch drivers are configured in an unusual way so that only one of them seems to be really hauling the mail at the lowest frequencies. Figure on spending at least the price of one of your speakers on an appropriate subwoofer upgrade.

Quote:
Just curious if I should peruse the receiver or not? Thanks!

My most important concern is that your NR 515 appears to have Audyssey 2EQ. What happens when you use it to optimize your system?
Old 01-11-2013, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

With my Onkyo I get alot more sibilance through the speakers. Which is something I did not notice at the dealer when I demoed them. I do realize they were running the speakers through a tube amp and high end equipment so that makes a difference. The RX6's just seemed more warm played through the set up they had at our local audio dealer. I realize the room your playing in makes a difference and there is a lot of factors. I really really love warm sounds I am not into real bright sounding speakers. I guess I just want the set up to be as warm as possible and I would like to find something to cure or help cure the over pronounced sibilance issue I am having.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

With my Onkyo I get alot more sibilance through the speakers. Which is something I did not notice at the dealer when I demoed them. I do realize they were running the speakers through a tube amp and high end equipment so that makes a difference. The RX6's just seemed more warm played through the set up they had at our local audio dealer. I realize the room your playing in makes a difference and there is a lot of factors. I really really love warm sounds I am not into real bright sounding speakers. I guess I just want the set up to be as warm as possible and I would like to find something to cure or help cure the over pronounced sibilance issue I am having.

OK, I can see where an accurate amplifier might sound different from an amplifier that effectively rolls of the highs.

You have a number viable options that you have not said that you have tried:

Please see page 21 of the NR515 user manual under Audyssey

Please see page 56 of the NR515 user manual under Dynamic Eq

Please see page 47 of the NR515 user manual under Cinema Filter

Please see page 45 of the NR515 user manual under bass and treble controls
Old 01-11-2013, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Dang you are a wealth of knowledge, I will check into the options you posted tonight when I get home from work.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Dang you are a wealth of knowledge, I will check into the options you posted tonight when I get home from work.

I'm not all that bright without the user's manual right here in front of me! ;-)

I am getting to the point where paper manuals don't work all that well for me, but downloaded PDFs rock.