What was everyones first turntable when starting out into Audio? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 74 Old 05-30-2014, 05:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohYew812 View Post

Bro... you should definitely revisit your old vinyl!
The ol' pops and crackles just add to the memories.

You can get replacement cartridges --> HERE and also HERE

Stylus are available as well, but since it's that old, and for around $30, may as well just replace the cartridge and stylus.

The usual disclaimers apply... YMMV, JMHO, etc.. smile.gif

I can't understand why anybody would like listening to the crackles and pops. That said, if the record is in good condition, vinyl does sound very nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 74 Old 05-30-2014, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 47

W

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post

I can't understand why anybody would like listening to the crackles and pops. That said, if the record is in good condition, vinyl does sound very nice.

It really isn't a matter of 'liking' them, that's how it was then. I guess it's a matter of how old one is. :)

Even the cleanest, most pristine vinyl will have some. But the analog sound is unmistakeable.

post #63 of 74 Old 05-30-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I've basically only had 2 TT in my life: a Technics 1200 (bought in the 1970's) which was replaced by a Bang & Olufsen TX2 (in the 1980's). The real epiphany came when I upgraded the Technics cartridge to a Grado G1+!! I'm on my second MMC-3 cartridge (B&O), but I figure I'll need to replace the belt eventually.

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
post #64 of 74 Old 05-31-2014, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My first table was an AR EB-101 that I purchased from George Merrill when he owned a small shop, Underground Sound, in Memphis. It is my only table, and i still play it weekly. It has a new motor and has new belts. I am still using the Audio Technics AT30 moving coil cartridge that my Dad, also in the business, gave me. RIP Dad.
post #65 of 74 Old 09-09-2014, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My first memories where spinning vinyl on my Dad's Marantz through McIntosh amps. Nice setup.

Later when I was old enough for my own system it was a Kenwood all in one. You guy's probably remember them, it looked like a stack system that was about 3.5 feet tall. It had dual deck tapes, AM FM tuner, record player on the top and a space on the bottom to put all the vinyl you convinced your mom to get you at the local grocery store Albertsons :-) Yea that's right, I got my first copy of Def Leppard and Motley Cru records from the grocery store along with all the Conan the Barbarian comics.

Times changed and vinyl left my life for awhile but made its way back.

For a bit I had a cheap Sony USB table, then a Project RPM (very cool looking) and finally a VPI Scout. If I had the choice to go back, I'd skip the Sony and Project and go straight for the VPI.

Just my take...
post #66 of 74 Old 09-16-2014, 01:48 AM

Liked: 11
Re: crackles and pops...

I found something out about vinyl playback, through reading and experience building my own RIAA eq amp (phono preamp).

The ticks and clicks on a record can produce levels +20dB above the musical peaks in the program material. How a phono preamp deals with this is crucial. If the phono preamp overloads, and it has a time-constant from RC couplings, the circuit can suffer 'blocking.' Basically, if the circuit overloads, it charges the capacitor(s) in the RC coupling(s). The RC time constant might be on the order of 200 milliseconds, but the cap might take several times that to discharge. While the capacitor is discharging, no signal can pass through the amp. What this does is to exaggerate the clicks and pops from the record, and make them very, very annoying.

If you make a phono preamp that has lots and lots of headroom, and is very stable (feedback loops don't go crazy during short overloads), then the clicks and pops are not nearly as aggravating. I took a pretty standard phono preamp and with the help of some knowledgeable guys on the innerwebs, altered the circuit to give it much more headroom, so that the individual stages could never be overloaded by the output from a phono cartridge. The result? Ticks and clicks are barely noticeable. They just don't get in the way of the music, unless the record is really trashed.

Anyway, that helped me see how the observed behavior of an apparently properly working circuit could result in subjectively unpleasant results. This stuff is more complicated than it at first appears.

My first turntable was a Dual sumthin-or-other that chewed up every record it played. It was terrible. It was about 1975, and I thought a German-made turntable would be better than a Japanese-made one. Man was I wrong about that! Before that I had a GE Wildcat

My brother bought a Technics belt-drive with an S-shaped arm (with a Marantz integrated amp and Dynaco A25 speakers). That was a great starter setup for the time.
--

Hopelessly addicted to this stuff, but on a strict budget.
Snell Type C speakers
Homebrew DC-coupled, push-pull, 2A3 amp, Intact Audio volume control
RIAA preamp (similar to Arthur Loesch design) - Thorens TD124 w/ Audiocraft AC-3000 - Denon DL160
Pioneer Elite PD-D6-J (CD, SACD)
post #67 of 74 Old 09-16-2014, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Wow shes got all 4 speeds I see!!

Good for you buddy
post #68 of 74 Old 09-16-2014, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by rongon View Post
Re: crackles and pops...

I found something out about vinyl playback, through reading and experience building my own RIAA eq amp (phono preamp).

The ticks and clicks on a record can produce levels +20dB above the musical peaks in the program material. How a phono preamp deals with this is crucial.
--
What was the schematic and how did you mod it?

I've known about this for a long time as my fave cart (Garrott Decca) has more output than anything I've ever seen.
post #69 of 74 Old 09-17-2014, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
my dad bought me home a Philips suite case record player with 3 albums gen live,Jimmy Hendrix and the Beatles. late 60's early 70's and i was hooked
post #70 of 74 Old 09-17-2014, 09:24 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post
What was the schematic and how did you mod it?

I've known about this for a long time as my fave cart (Garrott Decca) has more output than anything I've ever seen.
I read about this in Morgan Jones' "Building Valve Amplifiers", in the section where he goes through designing a phono preamp. It's a great explanation. I don't remember the exact numbers, but the gist of it was something like this:

It wasn't a matter of adjusting for an unusually high output cartridge. If you take a 'normal' MM cart with nominal 5mV rms output (5cm/second), the cartridge can output program peaks that are maybe 20dB higher than that (in voltage terms). That's a 10X increase in voltage output when the cartridge tries to play back a big pop, so 50mV rms output to the first stage, or about 70mV peak.

Since the first stage in my preamp has gain of about 35X, that's 2.4V peak out of the first stage. The 75uS passive filter decreases that by -10dB, cutting the voltage by 1/3 to about 800mV peak. That's 800mV to the second stage, which amplifies by 13X, then is decreased by -10dB by the second half of the passive RIAA filter, so that means a possible max peak voltage of 3.5V out to the third stage! That can hammer the third stage and cause it to block. The grid to cathode bias (or gate to source if talking about an FET) has to be at least -4V in order to allow for that, or that last stage will overload.

So I re-designed the last stage to have a bias of -4V, so that it can't overload on 3.5V peak signal at its grid (or gate, if it was an FET).

I've seen lots of phono preamps where the second stage has a bias of -1V or even lower. That almost guarantees overloads on big clicks or pops.

I don't have the schematic available, but I can post it later if you want. It's not any kind of a perfect design, just a hobbyist's effort.
--

Hopelessly addicted to this stuff, but on a strict budget.
Snell Type C speakers
Homebrew DC-coupled, push-pull, 2A3 amp, Intact Audio volume control
RIAA preamp (similar to Arthur Loesch design) - Thorens TD124 w/ Audiocraft AC-3000 - Denon DL160
Pioneer Elite PD-D6-J (CD, SACD)
post #71 of 74 Old 09-17-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 72
^^ I have VA and BVA. Thanks.
post #72 of 74 Old 09-17-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 59
A Garrard rumblemaster which didn't last too long. OTOH, that was about 10 TT's ago.
post #73 of 74 Old 09-17-2014, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Dual 1019

I no longer own this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	267602  

R 8:28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #74 of 74 Old 09-17-2014, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Mine was a BSR, maybe a 2260. It allowed you to stack multiple records for extended listening pleasure. I cringe at the thought of that now, but I didn't know any better back then. I went from that to a Garrad, which wasn't bad, then to a Technics D202, which I still have and has been trouble free and sounds pretty darn good for a turntable that's over 30 years old.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page