What equalizer or pre-amp with 2ch amp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-12-2013, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The setup I am trying to upgrade:

I have a newer TV with Pandora, MP3 player, etc.. I have this hooked up to a 15+ year-old Kenwood receiver, and an almost-as-old pair of 15" MTX/AAL loudspeakers. I recently had a friend test out a receiver with the speakers, and the improvement in sound from the speakers was noticeable.

Because I only have the TV as audio source, I am thinking about a 2-channel amp to replace the receiver. After doing some research, one thing I may be missing here is tone control. The TV has bass/treble control, but it doesn't seem to have a lot of effect on the RCA out that I would run to an amp. The bass/treble control on the receiver that I have now seems to have more effect.

The 2ch amps that I am looking at are less than $300. I dont' want to add much above that, but are there equalizers or preamps that can give me that basic tone control...or rather, ones that do the job and are worth looking at? I have found a few options on Amazon, but all have mixed reviews.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-13-2013, 02:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Pyle makes plenty of stereo preamps with gain controls, but I would consider Pyle PA-grade stuff. Most of their stuff lives up to their name, Pyle-o-crap. biggrin.gif

The problem with 2-channel is that there really isn't anything decent under $600. Marantz makes some decent 2-channel stuff but it is all above $450.

Maybe tell us what you have looked at or are considering and see if anyone can comment further.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #3 of 4 Old 01-13-2013, 04:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxjr View Post

The setup I am trying to upgrade:

I have a newer TV with Pandora, MP3 player, etc.. I have this hooked up to a 15+ year-old Kenwood receiver, and an almost-as-old pair of 15" MTX/AAL loudspeakers. I recently had a friend test out a receiver with the speakers, and the improvement in sound from the speakers was noticeable.

Because I only have the TV as audio source, I am thinking about a 2-channel amp to replace the receiver. After doing some research, one thing I may be missing here is tone control. The TV has bass/treble control, but it doesn't seem to have a lot of effect on the RCA out that I would run to an amp. The bass/treble control on the receiver that I have now seems to have more effect.

The 2ch amps that I am looking at are less than $300. I dont' want to add much above that, but are there equalizers or preamps that can give me that basic tone control...or rather, ones that do the job and are worth looking at? I have found a few options on Amazon, but all have mixed reviews.!

You will probably find that you get a lot more for your money if you check out 5.1 channel AVRs. Configure them for 2 speakers and they work very sell. Because they are such high volume competitive items, you get a lot more for the money such as built in equalizers, digital inputs, automatic system tuning, etc. And you always have a 5.1 upgrade path for free.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-16-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 256
My NAD C325BEE originally sold for $500, but I have it for sale for $225 now; see the classifieds.

It has tone controls. You can see the specs, photos, etc. in the archive section at the NAD website.

The current model, the C326BEE, is essentially the same for $550.

This would be a chance for you to get a very high quality amplifier for a modest price, and I guarantee it be be EXACTLY like new in all respects.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page