HSU HB-1 MK2 Good match for the Lepai LP 2020A+ amp? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-17-2013, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just purchased this amp for $20. I figured what the heck, I have read great things about these little amps and especially after seeing a review of it powering some Tekton's with good results, what do I have to lose? I am setting it up in my bedroom for computer audio and might hook up a cd player to it as well. I am trying to find a good match for speakers. The HSU's might be a little more than I want to spend but will if they sound really good with this amp. I see the are pretty efficient so they might work very well with this amp. Anymore suggestions on speakers for this amp?

Thanks.

I'm your Huckleberry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-18-2013, 05:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFREY GTS View Post

I just purchased this amp for $20. I figured what the heck, I have read great things about these little amps and especially after seeing a review of it powering some Tekton's with good results, what do I have to lose? I am setting it up in my bedroom for computer audio and might hook up a cd player to it as well. I am trying to find a good match for speakers. The HSU's might be a little more than I want to spend but will if they sound really good with this amp. I see the are pretty efficient so they might work very well with this amp. Anymore suggestions on speakers for this amp?

I'm not a fan of Tripath amps even though or perhaps because I have one. They generally generate more measurable artifacts than comparable class AB power amps, but the artifacts are small enough that most people don't hear them.

That all said, using them with highly efficient speakers such as the HSU HB-1 MK2 (92 dB/w) seems like a good idea, given the relatively small amounts of clean power that are available.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-18-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 250
See #4.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-18-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I would suggest that you look for some of the very sensitive Klipsch speakers that will work with that flea-powered amplifier.

You will want speakers rated at 94 db per watt or higher for that.

You can possibly find used ones cheap.

I'm kind of doubtful that your amplifier is ever going to sound all that good to you, but that is your call.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-18-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 1104
the tripath amps are great for certain purposes. i own 3 of them. i have one in my workshop area in my garage hooked up to some older venturi towers and i pod and another for my outdoor patio speakers and another used in a diy work boom box with a pair of warfedale diamond 7.0's and mp3 player. you should have no problem powering the hsu speakers. the only problem that occurs with mine is that when you push them to extreme volumes they will start to distort and probably shut down. but all you have to do is lower the volume and it comes back on. i also purchased one for my daughter for her dorm.its a big hit there. the kids are amazed with the sound of the little amp. and it does not get hot even if you leave it on for 24 hrs.

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #6 of 7 Old 01-23-2013, 08:53 PM

Liked: 12
Lepai makes more powerful amps
post #7 of 7 Old 01-23-2013, 10:02 PM

Liked: 30
I use Hsu HB-1 speakers for my computer with a Dayton DTA-100a amp (50W/ch class-T amp). For nearfield applications it's a pretty nice setup and the Hsus sound great. They actually have a decent amount of bass for bookshelves but, they get a bit boomy at lower frequencies (port noise?). I can't really fault them for that since they are really meant to be crossed over with a sub well before you get down to the frequencies where the boominess kicks in. I wouldn't want to try and fill a large room at high volume with the setup you are considering but, they are good speakers for the money and I believe they have a reasonable trial policy.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page