In the news - An American audio company managing to survive. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-17-2013, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
While it's more or less an infomercial, it's still pretty awe inspiring that McIntosh continues to survive. ..Whether or not your a fan of the brand, you gotta respect that.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57564456/mcintosh-made-in-the-u.s.a/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-17-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 697
More American off the top of my head:

Magnepan
Thiel
Krell
Orb
Ohm
Vandersteen
Nitty Gritty

there are certainly others and any of these could have changed since the last time I looked it up.

Edit:

Forgot to mention my Mags were made and delivered from Minnesota and being driven by a vintage McIntosh cool.gif

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

post #3 of 12 Old 01-17-2013, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Thiel was recently sold to an outside investor. It will be intresting to see what direction this company takes.smile.gif
post #4 of 12 Old 01-18-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd123 View Post

While it's more or less an infomercial, it's still pretty awe inspiring that McIntosh continues to survive. ..Whether or not your a fan of the brand, you gotta respect that.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57564456/mcintosh-made-in-the-u.s.a/

I question whether McIntosh would have survived without a deep-pockets pacific rim-based investor. We also don't know for sure the percentage of work that is actually being done in Binghamton.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-18-2013, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 34
Well they employ 150 people full time, so there is at least a fair amount of work being done in Binghamton. ..But I wouldn't be at all surprised if processors, such as that in my integrated amp and those found in their AVR Pre-amps, are sourced over seas.

As for their claim that "we don't know how long our gear lasts b/c we've only been in business 60 years" ...well, that may be true for their retro-style tube and s/s amps which can easily be rebuilt, but I'm a bit more skeptical about this claim as it relates to those components with processors and firmware. ..It's hard to imagine that 20 years form now they'll be able to replace the digital volume control/ processor in my amp. ..Nonetheless, for the time being I enjoy it immensely and I'm glad knowing that it is at least partially built in an old mill town just a few hours from where I live.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-18-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd123 View Post

Well they employ 150 people full time, so there is at least a fair amount of work being done in Binghamton. ..But I wouldn't be at all surprised if processors, such as that in my integrated amp and those found in their AVR Pre-amps, are sourced over seas.

Typically shops this size outsource the circuit cards, so what comes in the door is stuffed, soldered and tested. I don't know if they still wind their own transformers,. Cutting, bending, punching and plating chassis is another thing to outsource.
Quote:
As for their claim that "we don't know how long our gear lasts b/c we've only been in business 60 years" ...well, that may be true for their retro-style tube and s/s amps which can easily be rebuilt, but I'm a bit more skeptical about this claim as it relates to those components with processors and firmware.

Chip manufacturers usually give a lot of warning before they stop making a part, so people who use it have the opportunity to stock up for the future.
Quote:
..It's hard to imagine that 20 years form now they'll be able to replace the digital volume control/ processor in my amp.

I suspect they have lots of backup stock for future repairs.
Quote:
..Nonetheless, for the time being I enjoy it immensely and I'm glad knowing that it is at least partially built in an old mill town just a few hours from where I live.

I consulted at IBM in the 80s and spent a fair amount of time in the Johnson City Quality Inn. Binghamton was just down the road... Endicott, Johnson City and Binghamton are ducks in a row along the Susquehanna.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-18-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post

Thiel was recently sold to an outside investor. It will be intresting to see what direction this company takes.smile.gif

Might be the next Dunlavy, hope not!
post #8 of 12 Old 01-18-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Don't forget Audio Research; they arguably make some of the best amplifiers and preamps you can buy, and have been there in Minnesota for around 40 years now.

And of course, as you say, Richard Vandersteen has been making speakers in the California central valley for 40 years or so; good thing he decided to forgo the family dairy business.

And Bryston is nearby in Canada; still making great amplifiers with that incredible 20-year warranty. Canada IS part of North America too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen arcane View Post

Magnepan
Thiel
Krell
Orb
Ohm
Vandersteen
Nitty Gritty

there are certainly others and any of these could have changed since the last time I looked it up.

Edit:

Forgot to mention my Mags were made and delivered from Minnesota and being driven by a vintage McIntosh cool.gif
post #9 of 12 Old 01-18-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

My guess will be that more production will move overseas to drop costs. Currently the SVS-4 bookshelf parts are made in China and assembled in in the US. I would not be surprised to see the cabinet making moving to China. Also the price increases have been huge 2.4's were around $4800 the 2.7's now $9900 and the 1.6's were $2400 the 1.7's $4800. Makes it very hard for loyal Thiel owners to upgrade to a newer model.smile.gif
post #10 of 12 Old 01-18-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

My guess will be that more production will move overseas to drop costs. Currently the SVS-4 bookshelf parts are made in China and assembled in in the US. I would not be surprised to see the cabinet making moving to China. Also the price increases have been huge 2.4's were around $4800 the 2.7's now $9900 and the 1.6's were $2400 the 1.7's $4800. Makes it very hard for loyal Thiel owners to upgrade to a newer model.smile.gif

I attended a presentation by one of the SVS engineers a year or so back. Interestingly enough he assembled a subwoofer driver as part of his presentation. He mentioned that SVS imports some subwoofer driver parts from China. Among them the magnets are made in China because they have more or less cornered the production of that kind of part.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-19-2013, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

96% of worlds supply of rare earth elements are exported out of China. Neodymium magnets which are used in speakers and carts increased in price a few years ago because China decided to export less to give their industries an advantage. That's one major reason the cost on speakers and subs went up. Rare earth elements are the key to the green industry but China owns the world market on these elements thus they can make products like solar panels and various hybrid motors cheaper because their state owned companies get these elements for a lower cost. By the way China is already mining in Afghanistan which is a great untapped source. Pakistan has it's eyes on the Tora Bora Mountains. The USA has been bascally frozen out.smile.gif
post #12 of 12 Old 01-19-2013, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen arcane View Post

Magnepan
Thiel
Krell
Orb
Ohm
Vandersteen
Nitty Gritty

Edit:

Krell was sold to a private equity firm back in '09. Dan D'Agostino who was considered the owner of Krell has developed his own brand, see Feb. 2013 Stereophile cover story.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page