Budget simple receiver reccomendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-17-2013, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I'm looking to buy a stereo reciever, but I have no idea what to get.

A couple years ago my dad gave me his vintage receiver - an old 4-channel Sansui QR-1500. The thing is wood grain and looks like its from the '70s. I immediately bought some big, cheap floorstanders - some Sony ssf-7000s. It sounds great to me and I've been really happy with it, but I really want to swap it out for a modern receiver with a remote and a simple way to hook up a TV and computer. I'm assuming either HDMI or some kind of digital / optical connection is what I'm looking for. All I really want it to do is control the speakers. My budget is less than $300. The speakers will be used primarily for watching movies and TV.

Thanks! smile.gif

The Sony's: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SSF-7000-Floor-Standing-Speaker-Woofer/dp/B000OG4E2U
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-18-2013, 05:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcsally View Post

Hello all,

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I'm looking to buy a stereo reciever, but I have no idea what to get.

A couple years ago my dad gave me his vintage receiver - an old 4-channel Sansui QR-1500. The thing is wood grain and looks like its from the '70s. I immediately bought some big, cheap floorstanders - some Sony ssf-7000s. It sounds great to me and I've been really happy with it, but I really want to swap it out for a modern receiver with a remote and a simple way to hook up a TV and computer. I'm assuming either HDMI or some kind of digital / optical connection is what I'm looking for. All I really want it to do is control the speakers. My budget is less than $300. The speakers will be used primarily for watching movies and TV.

The standard advice is that your best bet for setting up a 2.0 or 2.1 system is a 5.1 AVR. You just bring up its configuration menu, tell it what speakers are hooked up and what speakers aren't available, and it does the rest.

You can easily obtain a good 5.1 AVR in your price range. The primary manufacturers are Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, and Yamaha. The model numbers are pretty fluid, so check around and see what's available today.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-18-2013, 05:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 821
post #4 of 5 Old 01-18-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 239
You can get the Onkyo TX-NR414 for $230.

That is a very nice receiver for the money, with lots of connectivity and features, and will work fine with your speakers.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-23-2013, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page