post #91 of 127 Old 01-30-2013, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthrb4u View Post

i find it funny you guys are arguing with the owner of avsforum.com even if you feel he is wrong. He is coming from a very technical background and knows his stuff.
I like that on the harman website they give you specification such as the max current of 45a. (Parasound Halo A23 125wpc, has 45a peak) The mediocre but not bad 95 SNR (not bad, the best receiver or pre-pro i found was only 100) and other specifications such as slew rate and damping factor(i know some say damping factor is useless)

Who do you believe owns avsforum.com?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 127 Old 01-30-2013, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I initially thought it was ArnyK the first time i wrote the comment but then i realized it wasn't but decided not to erase my comment. For the lack of better judgement i thought it was funny to keep up there.

who do i talk to around here about changing my title from "advanced member" to "specialED member"
post #93 of 127 Old 01-30-2013, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

I find it funny that you find it funny that i have an opinion.

I think you got me there.

I'll rephrase my comment. I don't give a hoot who owns this site any one may disagree with anyone on this site.

By the way your comment about ownership of the site got me to looking around.

About Us

Founded in 1999 by David Bott and Alan Gouger, AVSForum.com is the largest discussion forum dedicated to Home Theater, cinema, and the products used with over one million members, 800 thousand threads, and seventeen million posts.

If you scroll to the bottom of the page you'll find the "About AVS" link. Neither David or Alan participated in this thread.
post #94 of 127 Old 01-30-2013, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

I know about David Bott but didn't know about Alan. Cool facts for someone that's on here a lot like myself

Thanks

who do i talk to around here about changing my title from "advanced member" to "specialED member"
post #95 of 127 Old 01-31-2013, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 17
Quote:

I felt like the whole thread started off irrational. The main conflict started with people not coping with the fact the op had his mind set up on a stereo receiver which i don't blame him as it had everything he wanted and nothing more. Then, just like every other amp thread, the subject of sound quality was brought up and we all know that makes every thread go to hell.
thankyou
post #96 of 127 Old 01-31-2013, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

I fail to see why members offering you good advice is a problem. It's your money though - if you want to ignore science and spend more for less, no one is stopping you.
if they offered me good advice pertaining to the ORIGINAL QUESTION,we wouldnt be having this conversation now would we?
post #97 of 127 Old 01-31-2013, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcam406 View Post

if they offered me good advice pertaining to the ORIGINAL QUESTION,we wouldnt be having this conversation now would we?

You got good advice. It may not be what you want to hear, but that doesn't make less valuable.
bthrb4u likes this.
post #98 of 127 Old 01-31-2013, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

only a few responses pertained to the ORIGINAL question,therefore,it was of some value.as far as the rest of the posts that DIDNT pertain to the ORIGINAL question,it had no value whatsoever.
post #99 of 127 Old 01-31-2013, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

I made a thread very similar to this when i first registered and got almost the same response. I personally took it as a reason to investigate more and while i found A WHOLE LOTTA RAMBLING lol and conversations changing subjects i eventually found a lot of good useful info that might help me save some money eventually but more importantly will make me look smart in front of my friends even if they don't know what i mean or if i am wrong about something...they'll never know lol.

post #100 of 127 Old 01-31-2013, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

blindem' with brilliance...lol
post #101 of 127 Old 01-31-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
only a few responses pertained to the ORIGINAL question,therefore,it was of some value.as far as the rest of the posts that DIDNT pertain to the ORIGINAL question,it had no value whatsoever.
To you, perhaps. But just because you start a thread does not mean you are the only audience for it. The advice given might be very useful to someone who is in your position but is less resistant to new ideas.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #102 of 127 Old 01-31-2013, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

I understand what you're saying but this isn't a puzzle. The OP post asked a question about two particular receivers. Someone changed the subject completely. Granted it was information they felt could possibly benefit the OP but the op simply wasn't asking for that type of opinion. If the OP had made a thread titied, " what is better, a multi-channel avr or stereo receiver?" Then the information would benefit the "audience."

post #103 of 127 Old 02-01-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

Quote:
To you, perhaps. But just because you start a thread does not mean you are the only audience for it. The advice given might be very useful to someone who is in your position but is less resistant to new ideas.

If I had a nickel for every AVS Forum thread that got derailed this much or more I wouldn't be bothering to cash my paychecks!

What is different about this thread is the amount of post-on-topic discussion bellyaching.
post #104 of 127 Old 02-01-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I understand what you're saying but this isn't a puzzle. The OP post asked a question about two particular receivers. Someone changed the subject completely. Granted it was information they felt could possibly benefit the OP but the op simply wasn't asking for that type of opinion. If the OP had made a thread titied, " what is better, a multi-channel avr or stereo receiver?" Then the information would benefit the "audience."
And who made you the Czar? Why do you get to decide who is and is not able to benefit from a discussion? How do you know there aren't people out there contemplating a choice between two-channel receivers, who hadn't yet considered (let alone rejected for reasons of ignorance) the possibility that an AVR might be the right choice instead?

If you don't like the way discussions tend on this forum, start your own.

post #105 of 127 Old 02-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

That's the best you could come up with? Your first sentence made me laugh but the second one made me laugh at you and the third one made me laugh harder. I feel compelled to tell you why as you obviously hard a hard time with reading comprehension. First, I NEVER told anyone they couldn't do something. I DID however make a few conclusions of my own as to why the thread took a crap. Second, i never said there aren't people who wouldn't benefit from reading about the differences between an avr and stereo receiver. In fact, YOU QUOTED what i had said about how people LOOKING for that type of information wouldn't be in a thread that clearly states the thread was about TWO SPECIFIC, SAME TYPE of STEREO receivers and they would be in a thread more appropriately titled something like this, " what is better, a multi-channel avr or stereo receiver?" Why would someone just getting into this hobby look at a thread that shows two specific model numbers in the title before learning more about the differences between stereo and multi-channel? More than likely they wouldn't. In fact, usually the first thing they learn is multi-channel vs stereo. Probably just like the OP.

post #106 of 127 Old 02-01-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's the best you could come up with?
No, but since the main goal was to reduce you to blithering, it was good enough. smile.gif
Quote:
In fact, YOU QUOTED what i had said about how people LOOKING for that type of information wouldn't be in a thread that clearly states the thread was about TWO SPECIFIC, SAME TYPE of STEREO receivers
How do you know this? You're on this thread, and you haven't said word one about either of those receivers.

post #107 of 127 Old 02-01-2013, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

if someone trolling this site wanted information on AVR's,they sure as hell wouldnt be looking at the 2 channel audio thread and vice versa.its common sense.why do you think i posted the question in the PROPER thread? BTHRB4U is correct.and as a side note,i did a search on this forum for info concerning both receivers in question,and since there wasnt alot,hence the post IN THE PROPER SECTION.i think its time to let this go and move on.
post #108 of 127 Old 02-01-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
i think its time to let this go and move on.
So fine. Move on. You're the one who got sidetracked complaining about other people's posts. If you aren't interested in what they say, just ignore them.

post #109 of 127 Old 02-01-2013, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

thanks bigcam. How is that receiver treating you?

post #110 of 127 Old 02-02-2013, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

thanks bigcam. How is that receiver treating you?
havnt picked picked one up yet.waiting for a sale on the HK.there is a 200 dollar difference between the 2 up here.
post #111 of 127 Old 02-02-2013, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

I believe my friend is getting the hk with income tax. he's pretty really really pumped on it.
He loves his bass and having the dual subs out just made him all giggily and girly inside .
It's absolutely stunning looking too.

post #112 of 127 Old 02-02-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 92
You should consider this: Buy it refurbished from the manufacturer.

You get everything for much less, and the full warranty applies. I got mine this way, and it looked brand new, with all the bags still sealed, the protectors in place, and the original package. The only thing I could see changed was a new sticker on the box with a "Z" at the end of the model number.

Mine's worked perfectly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harman-Kardon-HK-3490-Z-2-x-120W-per-channel-Stereo-Receiver-/390444982030?pt=US_Stereo_Receivers&hash=item5ae8559f0e

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #113 of 127 Old 02-02-2013, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

yes,they have the great looks to go with the great sound.im gonna wait until they drop again.boxing week,the 3490 was going for 350 bucks,now they are 600.patience ive been told....rolleyes.gif
post #114 of 127 Old 02-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

good find filecat. I saw Harman's ebay store a long long time ago and pretty much forgot about it till now. Maybe i could get lucky and they will put a 3700 on there i can afford instead of having to go with the marantz refurb

post #115 of 127 Old 02-02-2013, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I got my 3490 off of Craigslist for $260. It was brand new in the box. It has been flawless for about 8 months now. Also check out this site. They usually have a good price. Right now it's $449

http://www.jr.com/harman-kardon/pe/HK_3490/
post #116 of 127 Old 02-02-2013, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

jr.com is a really good website. Bought my first headphones from there

post #117 of 127 Old 02-02-2013, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

vanns.com too

post #118 of 127 Old 02-02-2013, 11:46 PM

Liked: 10
Onkyo are a VERY good brand! I have the TX-SR577 7.1 receiver and it's freaking amazing! You get an amazing amount of features for so little! The Onkyo TX and NR series amps are for you!
post #119 of 127 Old 02-03-2013, 12:05 AM

OR if you want to be a REALLY big boy and go for the high end Onkyo range go for the PR-SC5509... I am soon! I only want it for the XLR outputs for my PA amps wink.gif
post #120 of 127 Old 02-07-2013, 08:14 PM

I just read through this thread. Wasted a lot of time sorting through off topic posts to get to some actual information. I happened to find the thread by doing a google search for HK 3490 vs TX-8050. I am in the same situation as the OP. I would like something to power my Klipsch Heresy's that I have had for a long time (one signed by Paul Klipsch). The room is used for games as well as general music. In my main room I have an Integra DTR-70.1 running Paradigm Studio 100's with a Paradigm Studio 12" powered sub. I also have an older M&K 125 sub that I use for fill in the main room. I haven't grown the center and rear speakers yet. The "play" room will not have a sub, at least not for a while.

Looked at a variety of surround receivers as well as "basic" two channel receivers at J&R. Their pricing on the 8050 and 3490 are within $20. They have a large discount on the 3490 at the moment. In the $300 range, is there a comparative surround receiver that would be a better choice than either of the two channels? Here is what I found in that pricing on J&R, Yamaha RX-V473, Sony STR-DH830, Onkyo TX-NR515 and Denon AVR-1513

I don't mind hearing true opinions. I am open to all suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks in advance! smile.gif
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page