post #121 of 127 Old 02-08-2013, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by glen9010 View Post

I am open to all suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks in advance! smile.gif

You mentioned a waste of your time reading through off topic posts. Get ready for some more posts that won't answer your qustion.

My recommendation is not to ask subjective opinions on a website that contains the word science in the name.
bthrb4u likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 127 Old 02-08-2013, 07:33 PM

Liked: 10
I don't mind being directed to any type or brand of receiver as long as it stays within my price range. I know the $300 area is a bit thin but that is what I feel comfortable with. I also have no issues reading anyone's post as long as it gives good direction and focus on the goal of finding the best product for the dollar to be spent. It was all of the back and forth posts that didn't help. I understand what was going on but it was just too much.

As for the subjective term associated with science, that is some funny stuff!

If anyone cares to throw me some help, I would appreciate it. The Onkyo 8050 has the ability to connect via WIFI for Pandora or a number of other products. We do use Pandora as well as Spotify so that may be a big plus for the Onkyo. But for the price, the HK3490 and its amplifier section seems tough to beat.

Once again, thanks...............
post #123 of 127 Old 02-08-2013, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

As for the subjective term associated with science, that is some funny stuff!

I suggest you pull out a Dictionary and look up the definition of subjective, then look up the word science.

You wont be able to hear a difference between the 2 products. Unless you listen to one of the products louder than the other or you enjoy the look of one of the products as compared to the other. Or you perform the test yourself and take a minute between test samples.

So chose the piece of equipment that has the features that best support your habits. Sounds like the Onkyo has the features you're looking for.
post #124 of 127 Old 02-09-2013, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 16
i was checking out the Onkyo yesterday its a very nice receiver for the money.it will fit your needs perfectly.
post #125 of 127 Old 02-09-2013, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
i find it funny that after the big discussion about how people came to this thread in particular to look for stereo receivers and now here i am about ready to give advise on a multi-ch avr.
I know you're looking for a stereo receiver but while helping my friend pick out a receiver yesterday i found this beauty for a great price.
Onkyo NR515
MSRP $600 on sale for $300 on amazon.
The reason i'm suggesting this is because you get a lot of extra for the price.
Also, i just recently got my first 2 channel setup and decided on a multi-ch myself because i do plan on upgrading to a full ht and found out
how much audessy or room correction software can help, especially in a non acoustic dampened room even on a two channel set-up.
I still really really really need to dampen my living room but the room correction software helped pull the image in better and toned down the highs

who do i talk to around here about changing my title from "advanced member" to "specialED member"
post #126 of 127 Old 02-09-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 1069
Quote:

I just read through this thread. Wasted a lot of time sorting through off topic posts to get to some actual information. I happened to find the thread by doing a google search for HK 3490 vs TX-8050. I am in the same situation as the OP. I would like something to power my Klipsch Heresy's that I have had for a long time (one signed by Paul Klipsch). The room is used for games as well as general music. In my main room I have an Integra DTR-70.1 running Paradigm Studio 100's with a Paradigm Studio 12" powered sub. I also have an older M&K 125 sub that I use for fill in the main room. I haven't grown the center and rear speakers yet. The "play" room will not have a sub, at least not for a while.

Looked at a variety of surround receivers as well as "basic" two channel receivers at J&R. Their pricing on the 8050 and 3490 are within $20. They have a large discount on the 3490 at the moment. In the $300 range, is there a comparative surround receiver that would be a better choice than either of the two channels? Here is what I found in that pricing on J&R, Yamaha RX-V473, Sony STR-DH830, Onkyo TX-NR515 and Denon AVR-1513

I don't mind hearing true opinions. I am open to all suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks in advance! smile.gif

Of the units you mentioned, I favor the Onkyo and Denon because I trust their flavors of Aydyssey more than YPAO or Sony's roll-their-own competitive feature.

Last time I listened to Hereseys I was impressed by how inaccurate and colored they were (old EV tweeters), and I would see the best system tuning facility around as something that would help me enjoy them more.

Frequency response (latest tweeters not EV originals) not bad above 100 Hz, but need a subwoofer or bass eq...

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?4624-Will-cane-grill-cloth-block-highs/page2

Nonlinear distortion:

Not so pretty and Aydyssey won't help that problem much.
post #127 of 127 Old 02-09-2013, 05:14 PM

Liked: 10
Finally, some straight up help without all the sidebar stuff. While looking around, I happened to find an Onkyo TX-NR414 for under $250. I will also look at the 515. Arny, thanks for giving your thoughts on the brands being considered. After reading some very good as well as very poor reviews on the HK, I will definitely be leaning toward the others. As for the Heresy's, when I first bought them, way back in the 80's, I really wasn't too concerned with accuracy and more about volume, and they do get loud for a small speaker. I used my M&K 125 mkII sub with them and they did well for the intended use. I never could bring myself to sell them so they still are around. Wish I was more technically literate and understood the graphs. Oh well. After all the input of pertinent information, I can really see why going with a multi-channel receiver would benefit over just a 2-channel.

Just looked at the Onkyo TX-NR414 at Newegg listed at $239. Then see they are offering, for a limited time, another $39 discount! I am in CA so have to pay sales tax but with free shipping, OTD would be $215!!! And Newegg is an authorized Onkyo dealer. The 515 is a 7.2 vs the 414 5.1. Considering I was looking at 2 channel before, the 414 would probably be just the ticket for my application.

Why buy the 2-channel when I can get the same power plus more goodies for just $215!

Would you say this is probably a no-brainer decision? I think so.....................

Well, maybe not. Reading through reviews at Newegg and there are a number of people that have had problems with the 414. Discount is through tomorrow so I have time to decide. More reading I suppose.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page