Outlaw RR2150 - the missing link... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-25-2013, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, so my main stereo system is a Peachtree Nova fed by a Sonos by optical link and a Synology NAS drive by USB link (for occasional playing of 24/96 files which Sonos doesn't support). Just moved into a bigger house and want to set up some additional Sonos zones with less expensive setups.

I have my eye on the Outlaw RR2150, which looks like a beautiful piece of equipment. But its only digital input is USB, while the Sonos boxes can only output digitally via optical or coax. I would have thought it would be a simple matter to find a converter with an optical or coax input and a USB output - but apparently not. Can't find a single one, although googling does reveal a few other examples of people asking exactly this question and coming up dry.

So, any ideas? Does this kind of converter actually exist?

If I can't figure out a way around this I'll probably go for the HK3490 instead. I don't like the idea of using the analog outs on the Sonos.

Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-25-2013, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Google: "usb-spdif converter"cool.gif
post #3 of 8 Old 01-26-2013, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks but isn't that the opposite converter? i.e. takes a USB stream and turns it into coax or optical, rather than the other way around?
post #4 of 8 Old 01-26-2013, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Looks like you are right. Have you tried in the Outlaw forum? They might have some ideas.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-27-2013, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Didn't realize there was one, but thanks for the tip!
post #6 of 8 Old 01-28-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 359
The nice thing about the RR2150 is that it provides bass management. On the other hand, the 3490 will do exactly what you want with no need for a converter and it's cheaper. You could also do what you want with an AVR.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #7 of 8 Old 01-29-2013, 06:57 PM

I had one of these units a few years ago for a trial run. It is a very good sounding piece. One thing about it though -at least then, they may have changed it by now - was that there was a big volume drop going from the analog inputs to the usb one I don't know if that would present a problem for you or not. I sent it back because I had the chance to get a Luxman R-1070 at the same time. Through the headphones the Outlaw was a little cleaner & crisper but through speakers the Luxman slightly edged it out. The Outlaw is a fine sounding piece though & better perched to fit in the modern age than the all old-school analog of the Luxman.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-31-2013, 05:36 PM

Liked: 17
The RR2150 is an excellent piece. I run USB audio out of my computer to it and the DAC is VERY good. The Sonos internal dac is also very good. I would just run rca out of the sonos - which I do - directly to the Outlaw. Also, I run the sonos digital toslink (which plays concurrently with the Sonos analog out) to a Behringer DEQ2496 which I use as another dac to manipulate the sound and then analog from that to the RR2150.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page