Squeezebox gone; now what do I do? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 01-30-2013, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Briefly, 5+ years ago, I did a much of research and decided on a Marantz PM7001, Ascend Serria's and a Squeezebox Duet for my "Stereo" system. Shortly afterwards, I bought a Boom for the workshop and patio.

As an example of how much I pay attention to Logitech news, I just learned of Logitech's decision to abandon me, their EX-Customer a few days ago. To say I am pissed is an understatement.

Going forward, I'm looking for a simple solution to play ripped Wave Files on my Stereo without a dependency on any type consumer electronic box etc.

I have an old IBM thinkpad T40 laptop and am wondering if its feasible to turn it into a simple music box.

My thoughts are it would run some minimal form of Linux accessing WAV files on a USB Drive and sending them to a USB DAC which would feed my Marantz integrated amp. Ideally, I'd like to controlled the audio player with a (cheap) Android tablet. Preferably via bluetooth, wife and kids soak up every drop of bandwidth I have on our LAN.

I'm looking for suggestions on how create a simple music player of decent quality. I'm not a audiophile necessarily, my ears are too old, but I do want a good playback.

I am all ears for how to create a future proof music box. Listening to my (legal) rips can not be that big of a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-30-2013, 06:39 PM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Easiest way is to separate music store from player. For store use any PC with one of DLNA server programs. You can run it on either Windows or Linux. For player look at one of media players on the market, like Rocky, WDTV etc. Find one that has remote application for Android tablet or iPad. That way you can play both music and movies from your file store through a single device.
post #3 of 21 Old 01-30-2013, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Did your Squeezebox break? I am still happily using my Squeeze Touch, and will continue to do so as long as it operates.
post #4 of 21 Old 01-31-2013, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

DLNA server what a great idea.

Nope my squeezebox didn't break, I'm just very pissed and hope to sell it; while I can get at least a couple bucks for it.

What about wireless Dac's? How well do they work? Wireless Dac from my main computer to the living room; then use a android tablet to control Media Center over the LAN.

I need to educate myself about DLNA servers.
post #5 of 21 Old 01-31-2013, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by astropuppy View Post

DLNA server what a great idea.

Nope my squeezebox didn't break, I'm just very pissed and hope to sell it; while I can get at least a couple bucks for it.

What about wireless Dac's? How well do they work? Wireless Dac from my main computer to the living room; then use a android tablet to control Media Center over the LAN.

I need to educate myself about DLNA servers.

I'm with jdcrox above. If your Squeezebox still works, there's no reason to abandon it if you have enjoyed it for years. I have four of them and have used one for about 5 years now. They work great. Just because Logitech discontinued the product line doesn't mean they will stop working for your local files.

DLNA? That seems like a step backwards in terms of user friendliness and ease of use. Why?

My suggestion would be to step back, get your emotions in check, and continue to use your trusty SB. It's a great product. If your Duet remote fails or you can no longer get a rechargeable battery for it, iPeng makes a great app for iPhone or Android phone or tablet use that is designed to work specifically with squeezebox products. In my opinion, once you learn its interface, it's actually a better remote than the Duet ever was (I have a Duet too -- an add on SB from that product line, and two SB Touches).

Another suggestion? Convert your wav files to FLAC. They are still bit perfect files musically, but they are space compressed computer files; they take up roughly half the space that uncompressed wav files do. Also, unlike wav files, they allow the use of tags, which is immensely functional for devices like the Squeezebox and will bring its full functionality to life like never before. If you've been using nothing but wav. files on your SB, you've been missing out on a lot due to the lack of tags, including album cover art.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
post #6 of 21 Old 01-31-2013, 06:38 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Squeezebox server application is indeed a DLNA server with some proprietary extensions. Any media player sees it as such when you scan network. The role of DLNA server is to keep music and video library. All user interface and convenience fatures are handled by player and is control application.
post #7 of 21 Old 01-31-2013, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

FLAC: "they take up roughly half the space that uncompressed WAV files do." I never knew that. I ripped to WAV mainly because I use Media Player to rip and at the time artwork seemed to be a big hassle with FLAC. Incidentally, artwork shows up on my duet remote for all file types, I do have a few FLAC and (256k) MP3 files in my library. I hate the thought of re-ripping a filing cabinet full of CD's.

Emotions, I fully agree with and thank you for the comment about getting my emotions in check. You have me thinking and the iPeng app looks really great. I just question whether or not I will ever be able to put my emotions in check. Just looking at my Duet or BOOM angers me. Putting my life in perspective: Typically I come home from work on Friday afternoon, pour a glass of single malt scotch, turn on some tunes, relax and talk to my wife in our living room. Our living room is known as the "Adult Room" kids are shooed away except during holidays and special occasions. To me listening to music should be a relaxing thing; not something I should have to expend effort checking my emotions. That's my life, your mileage may vary.

I'm thinking putting the Duet remote in the drawer, hiding the Duet box behind the Amp and using Ipeng to cure my emotional woes. I'll have to buy a tablet; but, I've been thinking about buying one for awhile now.
post #8 of 21 Old 01-31-2013, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I agree, keep the squeezebox. Eventually (a few years at least due to EU regs) you may use the online services like Pandora, etc., but unless you move to an OS that doesn't work with LMS, there's no reason you won't be able to stream local files indefinitely. Hardware can be replaced with an idevice running ipeng playback mode into a dock or a small, inexpensive computer.
post #9 of 21 Old 01-31-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

FLAC: "they take up roughly half the space that uncompressed WAV files do." I never knew that. I ripped to WAV mainly because I use Media Player to rip and at the time artwork seemed to be a big hassle with FLAC. Incidentally, artwork shows up on my duet remote for all file types, I do have a few FLAC and (256k) MP3 files in my library. I hate the thought of re-ripping a filing cabinet full of CD's.

You don't have to re-rip any of your CDs. You can convert -- more accurately, let your computer do all the work converting -- your wav. files to FLAC files easily and automatically. Get a program like dBPoweramp (my recommendation) and use the batch convert function. You use it like a Windows file program and highlight what you want converted, tell it to convert to FLAC format, and where you want the output. It can do this for you while you sleep. Done. The tedious part is actually the tagging, but the program and others like it can pull all the relevant tags from online databases for you, saving you from most of the tedium (it's a good idea to go back and double check the tags manually once the program pulls them from the database, as sometimes the database contains incorrect info).
Quote:
Emotions, I fully agree with and thank you for the comment about getting my emotions in check. You have me thinking and the iPeng app looks really great. I just question whether or not I will ever be able to put my emotions in check. Just looking at my Duet or BOOM angers me. Putting my life in perspective: Typically I come home from work on Friday afternoon, pour a glass of single malt scotch, turn on some tunes, relax and talk to my wife in our living room. Our living room is known as the "Adult Room" kids are shooed away except during holidays and special occasions. To me listening to music should be a relaxing thing; not something I should have to expend effort checking my emotions. That's my life, your mileage may vary.

I understand.
Quote:
I'm thinking putting the Duet remote in the drawer, hiding the Duet box behind the Amp and using Ipeng to cure my emotional woes. I'll have to buy a tablet; but, I've been thinking about buying one for awhile now.

The idea of hiding the remote and the box gave me a good laugh. I think your idea of a tablet for a remote is excellent. I've been using my iPad and iPeng to control all 4 of my SBs lately, and it's terrific. The level of control you have is astonishing, and it's easy to read for older eyes.
post #10 of 21 Old 01-31-2013, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Personally I tend to cut my loses and run. Meaning if I find a solution that fits my needs, I will not think twice about selling my squeezebox hardware while its still worth something. I think of it as a hi tech buggy whip.

From what I can tell, a wireless DAC with a Droid remote to Media Center offers the same functionality as the parts of squeezebox I use with the added benefit of the music not being streamed over my LAN.

I just learned Windows 8 Pro - where my music resides - is a DLNA compliant server. Now I need to figure out all the ways to receive the signal into by amp.
post #11 of 21 Old 01-31-2013, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
check this out for a really cheap SB replacement:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=113075.msg1181446#msg1181446

The problem with most DLNA servers is that the interface is horrible. I can stream via DLNA to my Oppo, but it's very tedious scrolling through the files compared to the great interface with ipeng.
post #12 of 21 Old 01-31-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

The problem with most DLNA servers is that the interface is horrible. I can stream via DLNA to my Oppo, but it's very tedious scrolling through the files compared to the great interface with ipeng.

Exactly. I can stream my FLAC files using either of two video streamers or any of three Blu-ray players. I don't. Why? Mostly because the interfaces suck. The SBs and iPeng make it easy and intuitive.

To the OP. Do whatever makes you happy. My initial reaction upon reading your OP remains: why toss out the SB just because Logitech discontinued the line? It still works and it's still a very good product for what it does. You don't need Logitech's support to keep using it to stream your music files.
post #13 of 21 Old 01-31-2013, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If you have a tablet or smartphone consider a Roku, Netgear or Western Digital Streamer.
post #14 of 21 Old 01-31-2013, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:

Personally I tend to cut my loses and run. Meaning if I find a solution that fits my needs, I will not think twice about selling my squeezebox hardware while its still worth something. I think of it as a hi tech buggy whip.

From what I can tell, a wireless DAC with a Droid remote to Media Center offers the same functionality as the parts of squeezebox I use with the added benefit of the music not being streamed over my LAN.

I just learned Windows 8 Pro - where my music resides - is a DLNA compliant server. Now I need to figure out all the ways to receive the signal into by amp.

OK, well...now we're getting to it. I used the opportunity to build my own streamer; but that's because it's something I always wanted to try.

If you want to move on to something else...go for it. But you can't do that, and rue the SBs demise; when everyone...including a +1 here...is telling you, you can still use it if you want to. That's like saying...they stopped making XYZ model of car; so I can't drive it any more. rolleyes.gif

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #15 of 21 Old 01-31-2013, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

"rue the SBs demise" excellent choice of words. Which is why this forum is so great. I needed to hear that; time for me to get off the pot...

First up I ordered a Galaxy 2 tablet from Wally world... Time to find out if the remote in the drawer approach works for me.
post #16 of 21 Old 01-31-2013, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadoublej View Post

If you have a tablet or smartphone consider a Roku, Netgear or Western Digital Streamer.

I have two Roku's. Last night I plugged a stick and a usb drive into one of them and successfully played music. I'd be very interested in how others have implemented Roku as a music player. I found the UI very restrictive.
post #17 of 21 Old 02-01-2013, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I have two Roku's. Last night I plugged a stick and a usb drive into one of them and successfully played music. I'd be very interested in how others have implemented Roku as a music player. I found the UI very restrictive.

I think Plex and/or XMBC can be installed as an app. This should address the UI issue, no?
post #18 of 21 Old 02-01-2013, 11:04 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadoublej View Post

I think Plex and/or XMBC can be installed as an app. This should address the UI issue, no?

The whole idea of using tablet as the remote is to avoid any inconveniences and deficiencies of native GUI in player. You even shouldn't need monitor for it for music only needs. Get the device with THE BEST tablet based control app. I still use Squeezebox Touch, but control it from Android tablet exclusively.
post #19 of 21 Old 02-01-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Do you have a HTPC? If so then run squeezeplay which is basically a gui version of a squeezebox and control it with one of the free tablet apps.

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 21 Old 02-01-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

The whole idea of using tablet as the remote is to avoid any inconveniences and deficiencies of native GUI in player. You even shouldn't need monitor for it for music only needs. Get the device with THE BEST tablet based control app. I still use Squeezebox Touch, but control it from Android tablet exclusively.

The best tablet-based control app...IMO, is JRemote for JRiver http://www.jremote.net/

It is iOS only right now though. I built a streamer, picked up an iPad Mini, and am slowing weening from SB.

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #21 of 21 Old 03-09-2013, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

To bring everybody here up to date: As usual, the advice given here on AVS was spot on. There simply isn't a better setup (for me) then my Squeezebox Duet of which I now intend to keep until it dies of old age.

However, I have sold my BOOM which was used primarily in the garage to play Pandora. It has been replaced by my new 7" Galaxy tablet running the Pandora app with a couple self powered PC speakers. My next step will be to replace the PC speakers by purchasing a T-amp for use with my old Polk R1 bookshelf speakers. Not high fidelity but should be a decent garage rig.

Thanks so much for all of your help.

PS I got plex working on our Roku's but decided it was easier just to play the Roku Pandora channel.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page