Monster HTS-1000 Power Strip makes a surprising improvement in how my system sounds! How? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-03-2013, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Having been a power-conditioner "doubter" for so long I am almost embarrassed to relate this story. I purchased this power strip out of concern for exposing my new amp (a Bryston 3bsst) to possible damage during a thunder storm. ..It's surprisingly hefty and well finished - far better than the dozen or so plastic power strips that I used each holiday season when I hook up Christmas lights.

After wrestling with the tangle of cords in my credenza for an hour I managed to get it all hooked up. Up until now, all my plugs were plugged into two 4-socket wall outlets inside the credenza ..The HTS-1000 has labels for the inputs and I was careful to plug my amp into the one so marked. ..All of my audio components were plugged into the strip. ..I left the TV and cable box plugged into the wall outlets so that we can still watch weather forecasts even after I've switched off the power stip.

While far from a properly controlled test (nothing blinded about what I was doing) I was absolutely stunned to find that the amp sounded louder for a given volume setting AND it seemed that I was hearing a fair bit less electronic hiss/hum b/w songs. Generally, it sounded clearer! ..It was striking. Again, I was a doubter about such things. Why on earth would moving the plugs to a power strip make such a change? ..It defied explanation but I heard what I heard and I trusted my ears.

A few weeks later, when thunderstorms were predicted, I reached into the credenza to switch off the power strip even though such a precaution was probably unnecessary. ..A few hours later my wife turned on the TV and….. nothing….. it wouldn't turn on. ..Into the credenza I go to figure out what's happening. Imagine my surprise when I find that I plugged the TV into the power strip and NOT the amp. ..The amp was still plugged into the wall just as it was the day I first hooked it up. ..Ugh. A real, and embarrassing lesson in expectation-bias. A true story!

added note: This happened approximately 10 years ago.
Ethan Winer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-03-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Awesome, thanks for posting that.

Mods, would someone please make this a Sticky? biggrin.gif

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 Old 02-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 60
You did use it for the Player right ? Have you tried removing the line conditioner and see if it goes back to the old sound.
post #4 of 13 Old 02-04-2013, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Not sure what you're asking here. ..This experience led me to the (again, somewhat embarrassing) conclusion that the old sound and new sound were in fact the same. By "Player" do you mean cd player? ..Yes, it (an NAD c520) was plugged into HTS-1000 as well.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-04-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd123 View Post

Not sure what you're asking here. ..This experience led me to the (again, somewhat embarrassing) conclusion that the old sound and new sound were in fact the same. By "Player" do you mean cd player? ..Yes, it (an NAD c520) was plugged into HTS-1000 as well.

Yeah, you had me going until the last couple of sentences:

"Imagine my surprise when I find that I plugged the TV into the power strip and NOT the amp. ..The amp was still plugged into the wall just as it was the day I first hooked it up. ..Ugh. A real, and embarrassing lesson in expectation-bias. A true story!"
post #6 of 13 Old 02-04-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Haha! Speaking of expectation bias, as a strong supporter of DBT I was experiencing a bit myself in reading your anecdote, until the end of course. Thanks for the story!

post #7 of 13 Old 02-04-2013, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post

Haha! Speaking of expectation bias, as a strong supporter of DBT I was experiencing a bit myself in reading your anecdote, until the end of course. Thanks for the story!

To further elaborate.. I bought this particular surge protector because at the time several of the audiophile websites had threads where people praised it for dramatically, and inexpensively, improving the sound of their system.. While I had my doubts about it sounding better (I was more naive back then - nowadays I would know for certain it wouldn't smile.gif ) I figured even it didn't, it was still a reasonable price for a surge protector. So I ordered it. Then, when it arrived, I was so surprised (and obviously influenced) by how solid it was built and by how each input was labeled, I thought, "Wow, there must be a lot more to this thing than just a bunch of power sockets wired in series." So my hopes and beliefs that it would actually lead to better sound grew by leaps and bounds. ..Pretty much the same way as when someone brings home a new component to plug into their system.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-04-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd123 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post

To further elaborate.. I bought this particular surge protector because at the time several of the audiophile websites had threads where people praised it for dramatically, and inexpensively, improving the sound of their system.. While I had my doubts about it sounding better (I was more naive back then - nowadays I would know for certain it wouldn't smile.gif ) I figured even it didn't, it was still a reasonable price for a surge protector. So I ordered it. Then, when it arrived, I was so surprised (and obviously influenced) by how solid it was built and by how each input was labeled, I thought, "Wow, there must be a lot more to this thing than just a bunch of power sockets wired in series." So my hopes and beliefs that it would actually lead to better sound grew by leaps and bounds. ..Pretty much the same way as when someone brings home a new component to plug into their system.

The sad truth is that the only really effective surge suppression is wired to the power entrance of your dwelling by a professional electrician.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-04-2013, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

The sad truth is that the only really effective surge suppression is wired to the power entrance of your dwelling by a professional electrician.

Yeah, I've heard that from others as well. ..Care to hazard (no pun intended) a guess as to how much such a device would cost and do you think it would it be worth it?
post #10 of 13 Old 02-04-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 206
I use my APC H15 as nothing more than a 12 socket outlet. Seriously, I'd have extension cords all over my place without it.

post #11 of 13 Old 02-05-2013, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
I thought, "Wow, there must be a lot more to this thing than just a bunch of power sockets wired in series."

I'd hope they aren't in series.
post #12 of 13 Old 02-05-2013, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

I'd hope they aren't in series.

oops.. Should I have said "in parallel?". ..Obviously I'm not an EE smile.gif
post #13 of 13 Old 02-05-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Series and parallel are very confusing points for many of the members here.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page