Onkyo S3400 HTIB receiver into 2.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-06-2013, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have a s3400 laying around from when I had no idea that HTIB sucked. Can I somehow use this receiver as a 2.1 just for music? Just get good speakers and a powered sub? How would I do this and add a sub with no pre out? Will the front channels be enough juice?

Thanks in advance.

My Gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-09-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 257
The weakness of smaller receivers is that they don't have big enough power supplies to run 5 speakers well; not enough total current available.

They usually do fine running two speakers; just avoid speakers rated as 4 ohm speakers. 8 ohm speakers will work best.

If there is no preout for the sub, that is not a problem.

Just run a pair of speaker wires from the two speakers to the HIGH-level inputs of the sub; no problem.

What sort of budget do you have for a pair of good speakers?
post #3 of 5 Old 02-09-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 1169
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcamaro70 View Post

I have a s3400 laying around from when I had no idea that HTIB sucked. Can I somehow use this receiver as a 2.1 just for music? Just get good speakers and a powered sub? How would I do this and add a sub with no pre out? Will the front channels be enough juice?

As far as the power goes, that is unlikely to be a problem. I've read the other post and I've been providing an engineered technical rebuttal for weeks but it clearly goes over some people's heads.

Executive summary - having enough power seems to be the least of your worries.

To me the most relevant question is how will we hook up a decent subwoofer and setup a system with different speakers?

The first problem I see is the lack of a RCA jack marked "LFE" That means that hooking up a proper powered subwoofer takes some fanageling. I can tell you how if you are interested.

The only documentation I can get online is a very fragmentary "Quick setup manual" so anything much else I say would be speculation.

http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/QuickHookup/SN29400594_HT-S3400_QSS_En_web.pdf?CFID=2338480

If there are setup menus that let you make typical adjustments for a good speaker setup, they are hidden from me. If they don't exist, you are pretty much screwed and need to move on.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-09-2013, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

The weakness of smaller receivers is that they don't have big enough power supplies to run 5 speakers well; not enough total current available.

They usually do fine running two speakers; just avoid speakers rated as 4 ohm speakers. 8 ohm speakers will work best.

If there is no preout for the sub, that is not a problem.

Just run a pair of speaker wires from the two speakers to the HIGH-level inputs of the sub; no problem.

What sort of budget do you have for a pair of good speakers?

I have a very expensive denon/deftech system we just installed last year, this is not in the budget and is for the garage anyway. So I'm really looking to get lucky on Craigslist.

In regards to the sub, I looked at the back of both my subs and neither has speaker wire inputs.

My Gear
post #5 of 5 Old 02-10-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 257
It is rather odd to not have speaker-level inputs on a subwoofer.

A Polk PSW505 can be had for around $200, and has both line-level inputs and speaker-level inputs, as well as a gain control and Frequency limit adjustment. This is normal for a subwoofer.

It sounds like your subwoofers do not have the normal configuration, so you may need to upgrade there.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page