Turntable - Rega vs Project - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 41 Old 02-12-2013, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Sheesh... I put a lot of thought into my reply; I'm sorry you didn't find it useful.

To answer your question, there isn't likely to be much difference b/w two properly functioning, properly setup well-engineered turntables. My hunch is that the difference b/w my Technics SL1200mk2 and your friends uber-expensive table is apt to be negligible in a true blinded A/B comparison. Why?? Because the biggest engineering challenges that turntables present have largely been solved. The limiting factor is the noisy interaction b/w the stylus and the record. ..Plain and simple. ..I suggested the Technics b/c it is as simple to operate, easy to maintain, easy to find parts for; and does have a sonic advantage over belt-driven tables in that it maintains speed far better. So what hasn't been answered?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 02-12-2013, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Most of the difference is in the cartridge you choose. "How different" is relative and will be different for every person. That said, different designs can make a difference in performance as well--suspension vs fixed, belt vs. direct drive and where the table is placed and how much vibration it has to dissipate.

The Rega RP6 is $1500 w/o cart. It has a bunch of upgrades over the RP3 ($900) including the speed controller. You get the better plinth, better platter, different brace, much better metal subplatter, upgraded isolation feet, gloss finish, etc.

I would rather own the RP3 over the Pro-Ject at half the price.

As others have said if you are prepared to spend closer to $2K then there are other options besides the Rega--though there is nothing wrong with the tables.

The advantage of using Rega carts is the three point mounting (starting from the Elys up). If you aren't having the table professionally set up and don't want to fuss with it yourself then the only adjustment you make with these models is tracking force. There is no VTA, no azimuth, no lateral adjustment, etc. If you buy the table as a package then the cart is even mounted for you!

Others may have other cartridges that they feel perform better. Cartridges are like speakers--everyone has their preference. In general, if you spend more and choose wisely you can get a better performing cart.

I see you are in New York and am surprised that there are no audio shops you can frequent. Where do you plan to buy the table?

B.
SimpleTheater likes this.
post #33 of 41 Old 02-12-2013, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post

I'm a bit older than your average "just getting into vinyl" guy. That avatar of mine was my first stereo receiver (a technics SA5370), circa 1977. I'm planning a new home theater and a separate dedicated listening room. $2000 fits will within my budget.

Thanks for the clarification. In your case the VPI might be a good choice then.
SimpleTheater likes this.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #34 of 41 Old 02-13-2013, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd123 View Post

Sheesh... I put a lot of thought into my reply; I'm sorry you didn't find it useful
I found it extremely useful. Thank you. My other post was meant only for those other two and my words made it seem as if it was for everyone. I apologize.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #35 of 41 Old 02-13-2013, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post

I see you are in New York and am surprised that there are no audio shops you can frequent. Where do you plan to buy the table?

B.
Upstate NY. I'm thinking NeedleDoctor, unless I get that ClearAudio turntable used.

post #36 of 41 Old 02-18-2014, 01:58 PM

Liked: 12
Have you made your choice yet then??

I'm looking at the R6 and R3 also, but also have an old Bang and Olufsen Beogram 3000 which I could get repaired, so am slightly torn with regards to my options.

Any of the older audiophile vinyl users have any comparable experience of say a Beogram vs a rega and whether there is any contest? The B and O has a transcendental arm which 'follows the grooves' instead of a fixed arm that rotates across the record. Its also aesthetically quite nice to look at, downsides the cartridges are pricey and spare parts rare,.

If anyone could make suggestions based on experience I would be greatful. If there is no contest between such units re rega 3/ 6 and the B&O then also this would be useful.

Thanks guys,

Magnus, UK
post #37 of 41 Old 02-20-2014, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After the ClearAudio TT failed to come through, I've done nothing. The itch is gone and I've been busy watching movies and listening to SACD's with my new Paradigm Sigs. I'm certain when the itch comes next I'll get a TT. I would most likely get the Rega R3.

post #38 of 41 Old 02-27-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I wonder why there's been no mention of Thorens TD190, TD240, or TD295? Seems like these should be included on the short list of sub-$1200 options.
post #39 of 41 Old 04-21-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm a big vinyl fan. Close to 1000 records that are in excellent shape, some are collector's items. 30 years ago I invested in state of the art audio components, including an Apt Holman preamp and a Revox turntable with an Otofon cartridge. I still have both, but had become more critical of the issues with the Revox's sound, including rumble and a dullness to the sound. I've been thinking about replacing the cartridge, but mounting it is a big challenge. I auditioned the Rega PR3 and fell in love, so I got one. Wow! It's like I'm rediscovering the special qualities of vinyl all over again. The Rega is easy to set up, and although it's all manual, the sound is awesome-organic, balanced and uber quiet.

Of course, the Revox is a mechanical marvel, and for someone who is willing to spend a lot of time selecting and installing a compatible cartridge, it's a great turntable. I plan on selling it via Audiogon. Also, the Apt has a best in class phono preamp that allows for precise tweaking of channel balance and load.

I feel the Rega RP3 is an excellent value and I highly recommend it.

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
post #40 of 41 Old 08-15-2014, 06:45 PM

Liked: 11
I am currently in the process of shopping for a TT. The local Home Audio store (and McIntosh dealer) is pushing the Rega RP1 with a cartridge upgrade. Now they have much more expensive TT's, but my situation is that my parents offered me their vinyl. I won't listen to it a lot, but I want to get into vinyl since it offers more options than SACD's (which I have a few of).

So right now I'm researching if the RP3 is worth the extra $$$ over a RP1 with cartridge upgrade. I also don't like buying used equipment. It's a tough choice, because the RP3 allows for tons of upgrades over time (if I really love the vinyl experience). My instinct is to get the RP1 and cartridge upgrade, since I doubt I'll listen to vinyl that much.
post #41 of 41 Old 08-16-2014, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara View Post
I'm a big vinyl fan. Close to 1000 records that are in excellent shape, some are collector's items. 30 years ago I invested in state of the art audio components, including an Apt Holman preamp and a Revox turntable with an Otofon cartridge. I still have both, but had become more critical of the issues with the Revox's sound, including rumble and a dullness to the sound. I've been thinking about replacing the cartridge, but mounting it is a big challenge. I auditioned the Rega PR3 and fell in love, so I got one. Wow! It's like I'm rediscovering the special qualities of vinyl all over again. The Rega is easy to set up, and although it's all manual, the sound is awesome-organic, balanced and uber quiet.

Of course, the Revox is a mechanical marvel, and for someone who is willing to spend a lot of time selecting and installing a compatible cartridge, it's a great turntable. I plan on selling it via Audiogon. Also, the Apt has a best in class phono preamp that allows for precise tweaking of channel balance and load.

I feel the Rega RP3 is an excellent value and I highly recommend it.
I have a Project Carbon and like it very much after a few tweaks I detailed on a thread in this section to eliminate hum.

It replaced my Revox 795 Linear Tracking TT which I had since the 80's...that TT always ran Ortofon MC cartridges and I loved it till it failed.

Bought the Project Carbon to replace it and couldn't be happier though I loved the Revox.

Got back into using my TT as I have just about completely finished ripping my old vinyl to WAV digital using the DAK system. Now I can hear all that old great music at home or in my car with iTunes.

Found a guy in the Southeast (Tennessee?) that fixes Revox's and he repaired the damping mechanism that had failed due to the damping fluid turning into mush over the years...to the point where the TT wouldn't hold a correct tracking force.

I have all the mounting guides needed to setup a Revox so I bought a Shure 95 for it and gave it to my daughter who is HUGE into vinyl because many of the modern bands she likes specialize in putting out their music in the vinyl format...thought they also release it in digital.

They were using a manual TT before and fell in love with the ease of use of the Revox, (it really is a dream to use), and mothballed their manual TT.

Love my manual Project Carbon TT and she loves her fully automatic Revox so a win win.

Last edited by gajCA; 08-16-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page