post #301 of 303 Old 06-05-2014, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 1404
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhaudio View Post

And salespeople can claim plausible deniability when they make statements that McIntosh units use more expensive components and bla bla bla. I guess Representatives for the companies can use the same claim. *sarcasm of course* In reality they may not be privy to that information themselves. I had a B&W rep demoing the 800 Diamond series speakers. He was justifying "why" they cost so much more than the competitors. I recall him stating the Diamond Tweeter costs B&W $5,000 for that single component. I of course asked if he was sure or was B&W misleading him. He stood by his word stating he was actually in England at the facility where they are built and is 100% certain. This was stated in front of a crowd of 20 or so people at a Hi-End store. So my next question was "If they cost $5,000 then B&W is giving away free speakers because the 805D at that time msrp for $5,000 per pair. Hmmmm

(I hope that didn't sound argumentative, I really am curious)

Are the representatives that work for these companies mislead which in turn inform the sales people which inform us? Who do we blame for the misinformation or when an item is re badged and sold? I'm just curious. I didn't mean to drag my point on but it would not have made sense otherwise.

There are incompetent people in every profession.

Sales reps are generally the best informed individuals in the industry for various reasons and a tremendous free consultant opportunity for an independent brick and motor.

This guy was a dolt no doubt. If the diamond cost 5 grand in addition to what you pointed out, all of the pricing would stand out as inexplicable.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 303 Old 06-06-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post

There are incompetent people in every profession.

Agreed.
Quote:
Sales reps are generally the best informed individuals in the industry for various reasons and a tremendous free consultant opportunity for an independent brick and motor.

Sales reps vary a great deal in terms of their technical expertise. Part of that variation comes with the kind of sales jobs that they are in. For example sales reps that sell to technical people in industry are often very technically competent, but their expertise may be more or less than that of their customers. Millions of dollars can be at stake and it can make business sense to put some of your best people out front.

Sales reps usually have technical contacts working for the companies they represent backing them up, and these people are usually the real technical power houses.

The sales reps and the customers tend to move around between both groups somewhat fluidly, so on the average many of them are pretty comparable.

IME sales reps that work with retailers aren't always the sharpest knives in the drawer. Usually not nearly as much money is at stake.

Some people sell based on effective schmoozing, and some sell based on product knowledge, but most people are someplace in between.
Naughtilus likes this.
post #303 of 303 Old 06-15-2014, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post
Well that was money I was saving for a house deposit... but the photo of those cables does have a darker background and they also come in a velvet lined wooden box..

And a reviewer had this to say...

"If you are looking for a fairly subtle improvement from Odin you'll be wrong. The differences are massive." Alvin Gold, Hi-Fi Choice, The Collection 2007

So surely they are going to give me a much more natural organic sound than all the other cheaper rubbish..???
If money is no object, I'd buy the $600 cables AND the $38K cables.

Install the $600 cables and place the wooden box in the middle of your listening area on a pedestal with a soft light shining on them. If you can encase them like a fine piece of jewelry, then that would be even better.

Open up a bottle of Screaming Eagle Cabernet 1992 and sip and enjoy!

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page