Dual-tweet stereo speaker Q - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-23-2013, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have two dual-monitor psuedo-stereo laptop speakers and would like to use them as mono speakers. I searched the web a bit but I'm probably not using the right terminology in my searches.

Can I just strip the cable of a 3.5mm jack, split each channel into two and send two L to one speaker and two R to the other

I'm hoping this will mean both monitors in each speaker will play a single channel, so they can be positioned for truer stereo. Also, is there something that I can get to do this using my wallet rather than my toolkit?

Peace,

kowalski
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-24-2013, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 52
If the speakers you have are what I'm thinking you have, then they are probably wired for left and right channels internally. You could open up each speaker unit and sever the right channel circuit at where the connector is on the audio board and then solder a jumper from the left channel pin to the right channel pin. This would make the unit a left channel only speaker and you could use a stereo 3.5mm to dual mono 3.5mm Y cable. You would do the opposite for the other speaker unit and label each unit right or left.

You MIGHT be able to do it with a stereo 3.5mm to stereo RCA Y cable and then get a couple of mono RCA to stereo 3.5mm cables to plug into each speaker unit.

Monoprice only has the mono RCA to stereo 3.5mm jack so you'd also need whatever length of RCA cable to get the correct length you'd need.

So.

One 7" male 3.5mm stereo to female RCA Y splitter.
Two male RCA to male RCA cables at whatever length you'd need.
Two female RCA to male 3.5mm stereo adapter, one for each speaker unit.

Should cost about $10 for the Monoprice premium cabling and adapters.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page