Decision Help on Purchase and Configuration - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-23-2013, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have the ability to purchase two of the 3 items below and would like to know what is the best way to start. I have already decided on the brands so that's not what's up for discussion. Just need to know what direction to go.

1. Paradigm Signature S2 V3 (Audiogon for $3k or $2k)
2. Paradigm Sub 15 or Sub 12 (Brand New)
3. Anthem Statement A2 (Audiogon $1300)

Currently I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-23 so it's not like I am without an "amp". What do you all think and why?

Also my room is 14' x 15.4' and then open to the kitchen (breakfast bar is a barrier. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-23-2013, 05:41 AM

Liked: 37
We understand that you don't want to discuss brands - you seem committed to Anthem and Paradigm and thats OK. But what direction do you want to go in?

Are you looking to improve 2 channel listening? Are these units upgrades to an existing multi-channel system since you already have an AVR? What's your goal with these new acquisitions? A little more info would be helpful if you are to get any meaningful advice.

Also, I don't get the Anthem D2 with the Pioneer VSX-23. The D2 is a processor. So is the Pioneer (as well as an amp). You can use the Pioneer strictly as a processor by using its pre-outs, but I don't believe you can go the other way around and use it strictly as an amp.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
post #3 of 8 Old 02-23-2013, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraneer View Post

We understand that you don't want to discuss brands - you seem committed to Anthem and Paradigm and thats OK. But what direction do you want to go in?

Are you looking to improve 2 channel listening? Are these units upgrades to an existing multi-channel system since you already have an AVR? What's your goal with these new acquisitions? A little more info would be helpful if you are to get any meaningful advice.

Also, I don't get the Anthem D2 with the Pioneer VSX-23. The D2 is a processor. So is the Pioneer (as well as an amp). You can use the Pioneer strictly as a processor by using its pre-outs, but I don't believe you can go the other way around and use it strictly as an amp.

I don't have any Paradigm speakers. I moved but previously had a 7.2 system sitting in the closet. They were a set of on wall fronts, Point 2 bookshelf fronts, 2 bi-poles, 1 old definitive sub and 1 cerwin vega sub. Forgot to mention these subs. I'm using TV speakers connected to by Pioneer. They are pioneer Kuro Elite Speakers.

I have done auditions and settled on Paradigm. I originally looked at the Studio 100 but found out the S2 are the same price and has that P-Be tweeter. Sounds great! So the thought was to fill in the bottom end with a nice Sub.

When I was in college I was set on buying a bunch of speakers for 7.2 as quick as possible. I should have focused on quality and build it up. So the thought is to move those S2's to surrounds when I upgrade in the future.

Lastly, I meant to say Anthem A2 Statement Power Amp.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-23-2013, 06:08 AM

Thanks for clarifying.

I know you don't have any Paradigm speakers. I said that you seem to be committed to them and thats OK. If you like the way they sound, then go in this direction and get what sounds good to you. I'll respect that and won't discuss any other brands. Also, thank for clarifying that the Anthem your looking at is an amp and not a processor. I see you corrected your original post to the correct model number. Now it makes sense.

Now to answer your question. Speakers usually make the biggest impact so I would suggest getting the Paradigm Sig S2's and Paradigm subwoofer first. Like you said, you already have an amp - the Pioneer VSX23. The Paradigms are 8 ohm speakers and pretty efficient at 91 db. Try them with your Pioneer first and see how the system performs without an external amp. You may find everything is performing to your complete satisfaction. Good luck.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
post #5 of 8 Old 02-23-2013, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraneer View Post

Thanks for clarifying.

I know you don't have any Paradigm speakers. I said that you seem to be committed to them and thats OK. If you like the way they sound, then go in this direction and get what sounds good to you. I'll respect that and won't discuss any other brands. Also, thank for clarifying that the Anthem your looking at is an amp and not a processor. I see you corrected your origina lpost to the correct model number. Now it makes sense.

Now to answer your question. Speakers usually make the biggest impact so I would suggest getting the Paradigm Sig S2's and Paradigm subwoofer first. Like you said, you already have an amp - the Pioneer VSX23. The Paradigms are 8 ohm speakers and pretty efficient at 91 db. Try them with your Pioneer first and see how the system performs without an external amp. You may find everything is performing to your complete satisfaction. Good luck.

Which subwoofer do you recommend for my room size. I can't get those used so it is either Sub 12 @ $2500 or Sub 15 @ $3500 MSRP. Maybe a discount at the dealer but those guys aren't the best to talk to on the phone. They say dealers don't give discounts.

I was actually considering just getting the subwoofer for $3500 and see how it integrates with my Pioneer Elite TV speakers connected in a 2 channel setup to my AVR. Probably not the best thing though right? Speakers a priority?

Thanks for the quick responses as well.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-23-2013, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Definitely get the Sigs.....great speaker,
The Sub 12!will be fine for your room.
You probably won't need the A5 as mentioned above.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-23-2013, 06:43 AM

With the size room you have, I personally don't know why you would want anything larger than the Sub12. But I will not recommend either since subs do not have to be matched to the L/R mains. In other words, if you have Paradigm main speakers, you don't need to have a Paradigm sub with them. Suggest you go over to the Subwoofer forum and learn a little more over there.

I would not match a $2500-$3500 sub to a pair of TV speakers. You have a nice AVR - get a nice pair of L/R mains. Good luck in your endeavors.

post #8 of 8 Old 02-23-2013, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the help. Sigs it is.

I know you don't have to match the brands subs as well. I just like the reviews IPD the sub and also how it sounds. I like sealed subs.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page