SACD/DVD-A player questions. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-24-2013, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I was thinking about buying a NuForce Icon uDAC-2. I wanted to be able to buy music from HD tracks and play it through my home stereo.
Then I thought....well maybe I should just by a DVD or Blu-Ray player that can play SACD's and DVD-A.
SO two part question:
Which is the best way to go? I am thinking the way that has the most choices for content is probably the best way? So what has most availability?
If the best way to go is SACD and DVD-A....is there a player out there that can be had for <$100?
If I should go with a DAC and play high sample rate FLAC files, then I will just buy the NuForce DAC.

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
My humble entertainment room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-25-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by benclement11 View Post

I was thinking about buying a NuForce Icon uDAC-2. I wanted to be able to buy music from HD tracks and play it through my home stereo.
Then I thought....well maybe I should just by a DVD or Blu-Ray player that can play SACD's and DVD-A.
SO two part question:
Which is the best way to go? I am thinking the way that has the most choices for content is probably the best way? So what has most availability?
If the best way to go is SACD and DVD-A....is there a player out there that can be had for <$100?
If I should go with a DAC and play high sample rate FLAC files, then I will just buy the NuForce DAC.

You can get a Sony Blu ray player that will play sacd, but not dvd audio for less than 100 bucks. To get something that plays both sacd and dvd audio is a univeral player that will run a miniumum of 399, the benchmark being the oppo-bdp-103 for 499.

I do a mixture of sacd and hdtracks. I'll default to sacd as a first choice if available. I won't pay loan shark rates for used discontinued SACDs. In some cases what is now a discontinuted sacd that you can't buy for less than 50 bucks new, is available from HD tracks at reasonable rates. (As an example I was bidding on a SACD on ebay and lost when I wouldn't go over 50, it sold for around 65. I bought it as a 96/24 download from hd tracks for 17.99. But in general for normal prices I prefer the SACD.

I use the oppo which plays sacd and flac up to 192/24 through usb. As a backup I burn the flac to a dvd audio disc, which the oppo can also play.

As far as commercial dvd audio goes, I don't yet own one. As limited as SACD can sometimes be for rock/pop, DVD-audio is even rarer.

To stay in your budget check the Sony, but check to make sure it can play high rez flac files. (I looked it supports wma, but doesn't specify bit rate and depth. Check the owners manual or that forum here on avs.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-25-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:

SO two part question:

Well this gets pretty close:

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Dv610av-s-Upconverting-DVD-Audio-Playback/dp/B001CF6B32

ca. $130

post #4 of 5 Old 02-25-2013, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

SO two part question:

If you're only interested in 2 channel music, HD Tracks is probably the way to go, but do your homework on individual releases. If you have a surround setup, though, go with discs. Most SACD/DVD-A releases have both a stereo and surround mix, and IMO the real value in these formats is getting CD+ quality from 5 channels.

I got my Pioneer DV610AV-S for $105 and really like it. It plays SACD and DVD-A, but not bluray. Google has it between $100 and $130 at the moment.

post #5 of 5 Old 03-02-2013, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
thanks guys.

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
My humble entertainment room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page