HDTV to Stereo Receiver problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-02-2013, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

I have a LG 47'' LED Cinema 3D HDTV 47LM4600, using a Radio Shack AUVIO® 6-Ft.Optical Audio Toslink™ Cable on the digital audio out port into a Radio Shack Digital Audio to Analog Converter (Model: DA-710 Catalog #: 15-093), and outputting the sound into a Radio Shack 3-Ft. Stereo Patch Cable, Dual-RCA Plugs to Dual-RCA Plugs (Catalog #: 42-487) to connect to an Onkyo TX-820/800 receiver. I made sure the converter was set to optical, and plugged in to the power strip, and regardless of which of the Video 1/Video 2 Record/Play ports I plug the RCA cable into, and which Video setting I select on the receiver, the audio won't come through. I've tried turning the TV speaker off in settings on the TV, and using both Auto and PCM on the digital audio out setting on the TV for all the receiver plug/setting combinations, and nothing is coming through to my speakers.(American Acoustics, 2 box speakers D4550E, analog/standard stereo wire).

What I want to accomplish is using the stereo speakers for the TV's audio. Do I have everything hooked up right? Do I have the settings right? Or should I have different equipment entirely?

Thank you for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-02-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Look to see if the tv's optical carries stereo and surround sound. If its set to surround the DAC may not be able to decode the stereo signal from the surround mix.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 4 Old 03-02-2013, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 38
^^^ What he said. Your TV is probably sending a Dolby Digital stream to the DAC, and the DAC can't decode it. Look for an option in your TV's menus to force stereo/PCM output. If not such option exists then you'll need to replace the DA-710 with a Dolby Digital-aware DAC.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-03-2013, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal View Post

^^^ What he said. Your TV is probably sending a Dolby Digital stream to the DAC, and the DAC can't decode it. Look for an option in your TV's menus to force stereo/PCM output. If not such option exists then you'll need to replace the DA-710 with a Dolby Digital-aware DAC.

I strongly suspect his LG can't do that. I have an older model LG (2010) 42" Plasma that outputs only Dolby Digital. There is no setting or switch in any menu (I've looked and looked to no avail) to force stereo or PCM output. It's apparently a "feature."

To the OP: You have stumbled upon a common problem and tried what seemed to be a very reasonable solution. Unfortunately, you had the right idea, but the wrong execution. Rather than just a digital-to-analog converter that you could then output via RCA cables to your receiver, you actually need a very similar looking device, but which has a Dolby Digital decoder inside, with an analog output interface. Here is one such device:

Be careful. The same manufacturer sells a very similar looking device that will not do the trick. It looks like this (avoid it, as it won't help you with your problem):

Good luck with your solution. The former is the one I recommend. I have it in my chain and it works.
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page